email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email password request pops up intermittently, using Outlook

a60man
Chat Champion
Message 29 of 29

As above, been happening for a few months now.

Please see image below

Clipboard01aaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

0 Likes
28 REPLIES 28

Message 1 of 29

Excellent, thank you.

That remind me, about 30 years ago my Dad had an operation on his throat, in hospital he was fed via a tube, he soon got fed up with the complan type food, asked what else he wanted he said Guinness, so he was fed that via tube on the National Health!

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 29

@a60man wrote:

I've just been diagnosed as Anaemic, this is a surprise, but it explains my recent lack of energy etc. 

Guinness is very good for anaemia - lots of iron (at least it used to have, probably against EU rules now).

But I can thoroughly recommend it.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 29
Great, seems like we can get on with something else now!

I've just been diagnosed as Anaemic, this is a surprise, but it explains my recent lack of energy etc.
0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 29

@a60man

I suspect that TalkTalk have resolved the issue (as per @Ady-TalkTalk earlier post). I have had no password popups today and email access seems back to normal.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 29

I am only partially computer literate so don't understand all the implications / settings.

Late last night I changed in Outlook 2007 the settings from:

Connect using Internet Explorer’s or a 3rd party dialler

to

Connect using my local area network (LAN)

I no longer got the pop up error message.

However, I changed the settings back to what they were and still did not get the error message.

So, this was probably a red herring.

I then remembered that I had installed Thunderbird on the PC early in the year and it was worling then. I started Thunderbird and got an error message that said that the IMAP server (Talktalk) does not seem to support encrypted passwords, plese try changing to "normal password" Id id this and Thunderbird did not work.

All I can guess, is that Talktalk have changed something.

No error message still in Outlook 2007 today.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 29
My last post failed, will have to re-write it
0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 29

@Gondola

So for clarification.

You are catagorically stating that this is an Outlook problem (apparently only suffered by users of the TT email systems).

That @Ady-TalkTalk is incorrect that TT engineers have accepted the issue as being TT's and are working on the issue (which they are unlikley to do if this were "an Outlook problem").

The issue is definitely Microsoft's and not in the way that TT are interfacing to Outlook, as has always been the problem in the past when this issue has occurred (and a known issue to TT).

That POP or IMAP setting are the problem, which is very curious as the problem appears to be intermittant. Settings which reportedly have worked for years and then suddenly cause problems (with no intervening Microsoft issues or updates to as potentially unsupported old version). I think it is reasonably well known that TT are currently (and fairly continuously) updating, modifying and changing their email systems).

When something that has always worked suddenly stops working the golden rule of troubleshooting is to look for what has changed. TT have been making changes, Microsoft haven't. And end users have definitely  not been changing their email settings. And multiple users, with presumably different IT configurations, all have the same problem all starting on the same day.

TT have a shocking history of email "challenges", I think you should at least be open and consider the possibility that this is another one (as all the factual evidence suggests).

0 Likes

Message 8 of 29

Hi @a60man

• The test with webmail proves conclusively that the password is good
  • The test with Thunderbird if that works without problem with the recommended secure ports and SSL security settings with plain password authentication is simply to prove that the issue is not TalkTalk's end but with Outlook or the computer (but the next bit is relevant if legacy settings are being used)
  • The IMAP / POP3 settings article is to ensure that the recommended secure ports and SSL security settings with plain password authentication are in use.
    If the settings haven't been updated in a while you may still be using insecure ports, not setting the password in the outgoing server and therefore being asked to confirm password if sending before downloading emails
  • The question about sending from the TalkTalk network would be relevant if you were using legacy insecure port settings and were reliant on network authentication to send emails
  • On the question of using the recommended secure ports, there is a potential issue with Avast and Kaspersky security software that can cause conflicts, so, if in any doubt, disable security software just whilst testing the setting up of secure ports and if there is a conflict I'll give you the workaround later

I'll catch up with you when you've completed your testing. It looks like you've already noted a breakthrough result so that's exactly what I like to see.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 9 of 29
Thanks iefbr14 and drgwalker

I have tried a couple of things, interesting, I think I may have found a solution in my case, but will wait till tomorrow to report back, just to be more certain of my results.
0 Likes

Message 10 of 29
Hi Gondola

Yes, webmail works OK.
Outlook only throws up the password request intermittently.
I had thought to try Thunderbird, will do.
The settings in Outlook have not been changed since I set it up several years ago, but I will check them.
Not quite sure what you meant in your last sentence, but I am of a Talktalk customer.
0 Likes

Message 11 of 29

To put things clear (and for anyone reading this) don't bother fuxoring about with the supposed fix - the problem is with TalkTalk. If you are really inconvenienced change your incoming/outgoing servers to:

mail.onetel.net.uk

smtp.onetel.net.uk

These servers work and are part ot the TalkTalk network.

Change back once fixed.

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 12 of 29

@drgwalker wrote:

Not quite sure why you are advising folks follow a fix when TalkTalk have admitted earlier in this thread that the fault is at their end.

BTW - the fault continues.

This particular Outlook password problem has been happening intermittently for years with TalkTalk, although admittedly not as often recently as it used to.

As stated by the OCE TalkTalk have acknowledged the error as TalkTalk's. Please do not change any of your Outlook parameters as that could possibly invalidate your access once TT resolve the issue.

I have had this repeated password request a few times today using Outlook 2016, but only when I try to access TalkTalk mail. However at the moment things are working ok.

If you are still having issue then webmail and patience may be the best short term solution.

And for the record the quoted Outlook 2007 fix is dated 2013, so potentially not relevant to TalkTalk users in 2018.

EDIT - 20:47 and now it is failing again.

Message 13 of 29

Not quite sure why you are advising folks follow a fix when TalkTalk have admitted earlier in this thread that the fault is at their end.

BTW - the fault continues.

Message 14 of 29

Hi @a60man

From the point of view of testing to see if it's just an Outlook issue have you:

It would be good if you could list the settings you're using if they're not the same as in the above article. Outlook 2007 doesn't use STARTTLS for example so you'd use SSL.

And say whether you're sending from the TalkTalk network as a TalkTalk customer or from another network.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 29
Unfortunately, the above didn't work.
0 Likes

Message 16 of 29
Hi Gondola, many thanks for the info, I have tried this and will report back on the situation.

Message 17 of 29

Hi @a60man

Here's what Microsoft say about the Network Password issue in Outlook 2007.  It's been marked up as the Best Answer and has helped 44 other people.  Hoping it'll help you.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 29
+1. and probably many many more!
0 Likes

Message 19 of 29
This was a different problem, no emails at all.

The intermittent password request is still happening,Talktalk need to resolve this.
0 Likes

Message 20 of 29
Yes, I'm running Outlook 2007, Talktalk need to fix this problem
0 Likes