email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email subdirectories empty

rzontafan
Chatterbox
Message 13 of 13

panicking as all my email subdirectories have suddenly become empty.  I'm leaving TT for Sky in a week or so, as TT couldn't offer VOIP.  I have been using my Tiscali account quite happily until today, when I noticed all the subfolders were blank. I can receive mail.  Any help very welcome

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Hi rzontafan, it's great to see you thanking Gondola with a faxed Faberge egg. I'm sure it will be very gratefully received. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 13

Great Support there from Gondola. Nice one. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 3 of 13

You're very welcome. 

I shall direct the incoming data stream to a 3D printer and delight in the Fabergé egg 🥚 being hatched!

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 4 of 13

hi gondola

I have deleted my Outlook account, then re-created it. Many more of the sub-folders are being re-populated from TT webmail.  I have faxed you a Faberge egg by way of thanks!

best wishes chris

Message 5 of 13

Normally the setting up of an email client like Thunderbird is semi-automatic. Just needs you to enter your email address and password and the settings will be auto-detected.

The incoming connection security will probably be set up without encryption but if you change the incoming connection security to SSL/TLS it'll be upgraded to a secure connection.

The suggestion to use a different email client is just to prove that your folders are synchronising as expected.

And yes, if there's a corruption in Outlook then removing the email account from Outlook, exiting Outlook then relaunching and re-adding the account may affect a fix.

Message 6 of 13

amusing that in 30 mins chat to one TT "tech" she couldn't even acknowledge that TT had servers with emails on them!

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

it seems to be all there online... don't really understand how to set up another email account as you suggest. Wondered if I deleted this Outlook account then re-created it, would this synch and bring the webmails over?  Or do I wait a few days and assume it's just a slow process to sync?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

Hi Chris

The main question - is all your wanted mail online?

If so I would set up a different email client like Thunderbird as an IMAP account just to prove all the wanted folders and mail messages will synchronise.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

hi gondola thanks for help!

maybe there's a synch issue (which neither TT tech referred to in 1 hr of conversation).  Some of the subfolders do synch and get some emails back. But it's painfully slow and most folders don't synch. Wondered what would happen if I deleted this account in Outlook then recreated it - would my emails etc come across from TT servers?

No I have no backup outlook files  bw chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

Hi Chris

You're referring to Outlook and Outlook's data file (pst) or Offline Outlook data file (ost) which is where you'll find Outlook manages the data associated with your IMAP email account.

If you've backed up the data file you'll have a way of recovering if the pst file got corrupted or deleted. Setting the connection to unmetered shouldn't have impacted the operation of the ost file and this should retain the synchronised data for the email account.

The online mailbox that I recommended you sign in to and check is where you should see your IMAP synchronised folders. They'll be there regardless of the settings used to view mail in Outlook.

Message 11 of 13

well I'm not sure...I can see no pst file on my computer now, though the ost one is there. I did toggle the connection to be unmetered for a few weeks (in an attempt to stop MS from trying to update my Windows 10 version as this took ages and invariably failed). I certainly have not deleted any Outlook files.

Using my original Tiscali connection settings for IMAP I don't even have the sub-directories themselves. Using the new TalkTalk IMAP settings I do get the subdirectories back but they are almost all empty.

cheers chris

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 12 of 13

Hi @rzontafan 

I'd recommend signing in to TalkTalk Mail webmail to check your online mail folders.  I assume you are talking about the online folders and not about local folders that are only on your device?

Enter your email address and your email password, select Sign in.

Are the folders there all as expected?