email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

emails not being received

Methley1
Team Player
Message 27 of 27

For some time now some emails have failed to deliver to my inbox, seemingly at random.  For example, yesterday I received a number of emails from one sender, then some emails were returned undelivered to the same sender, then emails started being delivered again.

The message the sender received for the undelivered emails was 

"Address not found

Your message wasn't delivered to [my email address] because the address couldn't be found or is unable to receive email.

The response from the remote server was:

550 5.1.1 jjkxliGLLgujW Recipient Undeliverable (TT512)"

At the time the sender received this message I was receiving emails from other senders.

The blocking of emails seems to be entirely random and sporadic, but I have at times failed to receive important emails from my solicitor and my bank.  I do not know how many emails have failed to arrive.

Is there anything I can do about this, other than to tell everyone to use my gmail address instead where there do not seem to be any problems with delivery?

Mark
0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26

Message 1 of 27

Thanks for that, I've passed the information over and will post back when I know more for you. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 27

Ah OK thank you.

I think I have posted into there successfully now.

Mark

Message 3 of 27

Hi Mark

You'll find your Community profile Personal Information (here):

• Scroll down to Private notes to add email address(es), notes and references etc
  • After checking and updating, Save changes

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution

Message 4 of 27

Hi Ady

Where can I find the private notes section to post into?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark
0 Likes

Message 5 of 27

Please don't worry you post when you can. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Methley1
Team Player
Message 6 of 27

Hi Ady, sorry for the delay in replying but I have been very busy this week.  I will try to post the emails tomorrow.

Mark 

Mark
0 Likes

Message 7 of 27

Hi Methley1, please add the affected sender email address and your receiving address to private notes in your community profile and I'll have it checked this afternoon. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 8 of 27

The topic was in Ady-TalkTalk's workflow but as he's been offline for a week he'll not have seen the latest exchanges of messages. I've pushed a request back into the workflow so that Ady or a colleague can pick up from Monday onwards.

Message 9 of 27

Thank you for this and I do appreciate you giving up your time for this.  I definitely don't have any filters.  How do I contact Talktalk support about this, or will they step in when they see they need to?

Mark
0 Likes

Message 10 of 27

Hi Mark

You can check your mailbox Filter rules as previously explained. Do you see the message 'There is no rule defined'?  That means there's nothing set up in your mailbox to divert or block mail messages from arriving in the online Inbox.

TalkTalk Support can check for specific instances of non-delivery to see why a message was not delivered. Have examples ready for TalkTalk so they can inspect the server logs. In almost all instances of mail being rejected the sender would get a bounceback error message.

TalkTalk Support resume here from Monday.

Message 11 of 27

Thanks for this.  Is there any way I can get Talktalk Support to check my email settings?  It just doesn't make sense that these particular senders would be blocked or delayed, particularly as in the past I have received emails from the same sources with no issues, and I am worried that if someone tries to email me over something important I may never get to know about it.  This is why I had started to transfer to gmail, which has never had any issues and if I can't be confident that perfectly valid and important post will arrive safely and promptly in my talktalk account I don't see that I have any choice but to start to move from talktalk altogether. 

Mark
0 Likes

Message 12 of 27

Hi Mark

TalkTalk Support can check to see if a specific mail message is being blocked if they have the sender's email address, the day and time sent and your mailbox address. The logs can be inspected.  

If the originator of a mail message is rejected and it's not a known spammer then the originator will get a bounceback error message to say why the mail wasn't delivered.  It's the sender that gets notified not the recipient.

There is no TalkTalk blacklist as such. You can check via MX Toolbox against the standard set of agency blacklists that includes those that CloudMark can refer to.

Message 13 of 27

Thanks for this Gondola,

So, if other Talktalk users decide something is spam I may not receive an email even though it is important to me?  And even if the sender's email is a reply to one I sent to them?

One of my senders has a fairly small email circulation so I would be surprised if they had sent enough emails for others to block them and I am confident they don't send any unsolicited emails (they were from a support@ address about a product I am subscribing to); the other is a clothing company and as far as I can understand from this, having placed an order with them I won't now be able to receive any updates by email about how the order is progressing.  Is there any way to check these senders' email addresses against the blacklist, and is there any way of finding out who else has been trying to email me but has been blocked in this way?

Mark
0 Likes

Message 14 of 27

Hi Mark

@Methley1 wrote:...Is there any way I can adjust which senders are referred to spam scanning?

Unfortunately not. TalkTalk uses CloudMark to control the inbound mail messages and this uses the CloudMark Sender Intelligence engine to decide whether to allow mail through or to defer it for spam / virus / malware scanning.

Mail that is fully authenticated via SPF and DKIM and that has a DMARC policy in place is the least likely to be deferred. Although, even fully authenticated mail can get stopped for inspection if it's fingerprinted as spam, if the sender is on a spam blacklist, if TalkTalk mail users have marked the mail as spam or if the sender has too many unavailable TalkTalk mailbox addresses in the mail sent.

Message 15 of 27

OK thank you for this, that is helpful.  Is there any way I can adjust which senders are referred to spam scanning?

Mark
0 Likes

Message 16 of 27

Hi Mark

@Methley1 wrote: ...Hi I still seem to be having trouble receiving emails.  One sender has tried to email me 3 times recently, and they received this message: ...Content deferred (TT991)

The TT991 error means that the incoming mail has been identified as needing scanning as a spam protection measure. Sometimes this process can take time and for the message, if approved, to be fed back into the delivery system.

Message 17 of 27

Hi I still seem to be having trouble receiving emails.  One sender has tried to email me 3 times recently, and they received this message:

host mx.talktalk.net [62.24.202.42]
    Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
    452 4.2.0 xuWalQ3qU57IZxuWblqOcp Content deferred (TT991)

The emails finally arrived 72 hours after they were sent.

One other sender that I do know about has tried to email today 3 times and so far nothing has arrived.

Other emails seem to be coming through OK, so is there a reason that some emails to me are blocked or delayed by 24 hours or more?

Thank you

Mark
0 Likes

Message 18 of 27

Thanks for providing the update for us. These if not caused by filters and forwards tend to be temporary issues. Please keep us posted. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 19 of 27

Hi Ady, 

I know this not a helpful answer but I don't know what emails I am not receiving, if that makes sense.  I have emailed a few of those who have had trouble with email delivery in the past and who as a result had started to use my gmail address instead, to see if they can get through now, but I don't know if the lack of response to date is because they still can't deliver or that simply haven't read the email!

I will post further onto this once I have some degree of certainty either way.

Mark

Message 20 of 27

Hi Methley1, has Gondola got this sorted for you? 

Ady

0 Likes