email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

emails not being received

Methley1
Team Player
Message 9 of 9

Several months ago I posted about emails from certain senders not being received.  In July 2021 I was told this was being escalated to the talktalk technical team, and I have heard nothing since.  I do know that the problem still exists as on 19 November someone tried to email me about a work matter and this email never arrived.  Luckily a couple of other people (one using hotmail, one on yahoo) copied me into the email before it was too late.

To date this issue has created problems with communication from work (very problematic when working from home), from lawyers over a contractual matter, and from friends who worry why I have stopped replying to them.  I am gradually moving my post out of talktalk to a different provider but this should not be the answer.

How can I resolve this please?  and in particular what happened to the trail in July 2021?

Mark
0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Hi Methley1, we have no access at all to your account. You are the only one with access to your mailbox. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Methley1
Team Player
Message 2 of 9

Thanks for this.  Leaping right to your final sentence, I had hoped that TalkTalk would take a thorough look at my settings, and if necessary reset my email account, rather than just monitor emails for a few days.  We have already proven that I am not a technical expert, but TalkTalk's technicians presumably are, and it would be helpful to at least have the reassurance that there is nothing lurking in my own settings.  Is it possible for them to have a look?

It would also be helpful to know which 2 emails came from the list I provided, so I can check this was the case in my inbox.

Mark

Message 3 of 9

Hi Methley1 

I interpret the statement from the email admins to mean that the inbound mail filters did not stop any mail from arriving in your Inbox during the 7 days. So, all mail that was accepted for delivery was delivered and that includes 2 mail messages that you say you didn't see.

But interesting that you mention 19 November as we have a comment from a marketing mail person that they had a bounceback error on 19 November including a TT512 code that indicates a mailbox they were sending to was not available for delivery. But next day the mailbox was accepting mail once more. So that makes me think that if on 19 November the inbound mail servers were inundated with requests for service which is basically a denial of service attack by malicious persons then mail may not have been accepted for delivery and bounced back to the sender with a notification. The potential consequences of this are that some senders of mail will suspend sending mail.

So even if you think they're sending and their people think they're sending it's possible that after a fail to deliver then their mail sending service might not actually be sending out mail. Which explains the TalkTalk response that all mail that was accepted for delivery was delivered. But you're not seeing all expected mail because some isn't being sent.

Does that make sense? It's a theory. But if proven then what's needed at the sending end is to make sure their senders aren't suppressing the sending of mail to your mailbox. First, though is to make doubly sure that you have no settings that would either block mail from your Inbox or redirect mail from your Inbox.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution

Methley1
Team Player
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for this.  I'm confused about what 2 accepted means.  I receive tens of emails a day, so this can't mean I accepted only 2 emails, can it?  Also, if the 7 days they were looking at prior to 26 November includes 19 November then at least one email definitely did not arrive in my inbox that should have.

Mark
0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

The team have responded. There were no rejections in the 7 days prior to my chasing it and only 2 accepted. Those 2 accepted were from one of the ones in the list you gave as not being received. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

Hi, I have not heard anything from Talktalk since this was referred to them, so I don't know if it has been resolved or even looked at.  Is there any way to check the status of this?

Many thanks.

Mark
0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 9

Hi Methley1, I've sent this over to the team to investigate again. 

Ady

Gondola
Community Star
Message 8 of 9

Hi Mark

Your previous topic is here:  Emails not being received.

This topic is in the TalkTalk Support workflow for their comment on why you have so many blocked senders but no filter rule defined in your online mailbox to block those senders.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution