email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

f2s Email issues (DNS?)

duke748
Popular Poster
Message 12 of 12

Seems that there are some issues with f2s email at the moment.

People have informed me that they are getting bouncebacks sending to my f2s email address.

I tested and got the error below from gmail, but can get it working from hotmail on my phone

DNS Error: 13804350 DNS type 'mx' lookup of f2s.com responded with code NOERROR 13804350 DNS type 'mx' lookup of f2s.com had no relevant answers. 13804350 DNS type 'aaaa' lookup of f2s.com responded with code NOERROR 13804350 DNS type 'aaaa' lookup of f2s.com had no relevant answers. 13804350 DNS type 'a' lookup of f2s.com responded with code NOERROR 13804350 DNS type 'a' lookup of f2s.com had no relevant answers.

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi John Pinchard 

TalkTalk Business closed their own domain last year and now just have the remaining legacy email domains f2s.com gotadsl.co.uk and nildram.co.uk outsourced to apm-internet on the mail.overssl.net servers.

Good to know that you're back in action using my guidance.

We do appreciate your time in letting us know. Thank you.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 2 of 12

Thanks for this. My two f2s accounts stopped working yesterday afternoon (11th). Have now reconfigured various iOS devices and laptops with your information and all appears to be working.  Previously been using a TalkTalk business server as outgoing server for years. 

Message 3 of 12

I thought I'd check you weren't having problems with your own f2s mailbox. But that's OK.

Have you tried to email the f2s recipient from a different email account not hosted by fastmail?

You're probably right that there is a DNS issue with parent server/local server domain names accounting for the fact that some users may not be able to get mail to the nildram.net MX servers. 

MX toolbox now reports that f2s.com resolves to

mx1.freedom2surf.net 85.119.249.224

I don't know if this is apm-internet making changes to resolve the issue. But if that MX record is retrieved it does direct mail to the apm-internet servers so it should still work.

TalkTalk Support for this Community can alert their colleagues in TalkTalk Business. There is no direct support for f2s.com here.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

now i see this. changed again...

2.jpg

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

i do not have an f2s account

f2s need to sort this out.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

Yes, same as me. So can you see that the DNS record for the inbound mail servers MX (Mail Exchange) is directing f2s.com mail to the mx.nildram.net mail servers. A DNS 'mail exchange' (MX) record directs email to a mail server.

Is this perhaps just an issue with FastMail that they haven't updated their MX records i.e. they're using a local DNS or DNS cache so they're not directing mail correctly? Or the DNS they're using is defective?

Can you sign in to your mailbox and do a self-send test to see if f2s mail is sent and arrives back into your Inbox?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

1.jpgi see this:

0 Likes

Message 8 of 12

Hi hargreaves 

There's obviously an issue with DNS but what I'm seeing when testing with MX Toolbox and the TLS tester is that the f2s domain resolves to the MX servers of nildram.net that are hosted by apm-internet who are TTB's hosting service provider for f2s gotadsl and nildram legacy domains.

https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=mx%3af2s.com&run=toolpage

a.mx.nildram.net 85.119.249.224

What do you see?

And when I enter the f2s.com domain into the ViewDNS website I get a slightly different result from that shown by your link.

Name TTL Class Type Priority Data
f2s.com. 585 IN SOA   ns0.freedom2surf.net. hostmaster.f2s.com. 2019121700 14400 3600 604800 2560
f2s.com. 402 IN NS   ns0.freedom2surf.net.
f2s.com. 402 IN NS   ns1.freedom2surf.net.
f2s.com. 3332 IN TXT   "v=spf1 ip4:85.119.248.0/22 ~all"
f2s.com. 600 IN MX 10 b.mx.nildram.net.
f2s.com. 600 IN MX 10 a.mx.nildram.net.

Regardless of where the issue is it's for TalkTalk Business to apply a fix as they manage the legacy domains. I've given the TTB contact details in my previous post.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 12

my email provider said the following:

Hello

Thanks for reaching out to Fastmail support! I'm happy to help you with this.

I see the follow error was provided in the bounce message you received:

"Host or domain name not found. Name service error
for name=f2s.com type=A: Host found but no data record of requested type"

This error indicates that there is a problem with the recipient's domain f2s.com. Upon lookup of the domain, I'm seeing that there are no MX records, which means the domain is not currently set up to receive mail. The recipient can confirm this by using any DNS lookup tool, such as ViewDNS: https://viewdns.info/dnsrecord/?domain=f2s.com

I recommend reaching out to your contact through an alternate means, such as a different email address, and letting them know that there is an issue with their domain. They should be able to correct this issue through their domain registrar.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please let me know and I'll be happy to further assist.
Cheers,

0 Likes

hargreaves
Chatterbox
Message 10 of 12

same issue here

i have been trying to email someone with an f2s address and they keep getting bounced back saying:

<**redacted**@f2s.com>: Host or domain name not found. Name service error for
   name=f2s.com type=A: Host found but no data record of requested type
Reporting-MTA: dns; mailnew.nyi.internal

-------

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 11 of 12

Hi duke748 

f2s.com, nildram.co.uk and godadsl.co.uk mail legacy domains are managed by TalkTalk Business (TTB). For support, please get in touch with  TalkTalk Business Support. You can LiveChat or call on 0800 083 3003 - Mon-Sun 8am-6pm or email customerservices@talktalkbusiness.co.uk.

TTB should have a record of the registered user details for the email address to match to your personal details that you'll need to provide to them when requested.  If you need your password changing they should change it for you so long as the email address is still active. There is no self-help password change for these legacy mail accounts.

As for the receiving mail issue, I don't see any problem with the DNS records.  The f2s.com and gotadsl.co.uk domains have no DNS records. That's normal. The sending mail server will look up the MX server for f2s or gotadsl and be directed to the MX server for nildram.net. Nildram.net and therefore the nildram.co.uk domain does have a DNS record.

The mail server certificate was renewed on 9 Mar 2022 on the servers noted below. If you're not using the overssl name servers then do update your email client's incoming and outgoing server host names and secure ports and SSL/TLS encryption for connection security and accept the new certificate.

First use the SSL Mail webmail login (given below) to check the mailbox. Sign in, Compose and send the same mailbox a test message to make sure it sends without error and arrives in and stays in the Inbox.  Knowing what the bounceback error message is, including error codes, will help to identify any issue with the mailbox or spam trapping by the inbound mail servers.

Let us know how you get on.

You'll use these logins hosted on apm-internet servers:

SSL Mail webmail login
https://mail.overssl.net/

SSL Mail Control Panel login
https://vwm.overssl.net/admin/

Email Client Server Settings

Inbound Server: mail.overssl.net
Port: 993 (IMAP) or 995 (POP3)
Select SSL/TLS or TLS/SSL

Outbound Server: mail.overssl.net
Port: 465
Select SSL/TLS or TLS/SSL

If you need more help then let me know. Heads up, though, that this forum is for TalkTalk Mail customers of the TalkTalk Consumer business and there is no official TalkTalk support here for TalkTalk Business mail legacy domain users (f2s, nildram and gotadsl).

0 Likes