Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

imap problems on android

25 REPLIES 25
essexguy
Conversation Starter

I am unable to add my TalkTalk email account to Outlook for Android, Gmail or any other email app on android that uses IMAP, the only way I’ve been able to add my account is via pop3 on the Sony  email app that came with the phone.

Microsoft have done an investigation ,and have traced the problem to the SSL server on TalkTalks side , Microsoft are saying the app requires SSL to be valid, which it appears not to be .

other apps just fail to add the account saying they can’t connect to Talktalk.

all email settings have been checked ,the correct settings as recommended by talktalk were used.

On top of all the other problems with TT mail servers, this is really becoming a joke.

Please find a fix for this ASAP before no talktalk customers are left to complain about the appalling email service you offer.

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi essexguy, is that the outgoing or incoming setting?

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

essexguy
Conversation Starter

they didnt state which server,they did a trace on the account and  just said SSL needed to be valid which it wasnt .

its not just outlook for anrdoid app, gmail app wont add my TT account either

OCE_Ady

In that case can you post the settings you're using. It may be an idea to remove and readd the account and as you do it you can type your next post too, so that I can see your exact settings.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

essexguy
Conversation Starter

Unfortunately that’s the whole problem, I can’t add my account to outlook for android or Gmail apps as the details entered are not accepted by the apps.

Microsoft have done a trace and say the fault lies with TT SSL servers.

I used my email address and password , incoming as : mail.talktalk.net port 143, and outgoing as : smtp.talktalk.net port 587

OCE_Ady

And  you have outgoing authentication ticked but not incoming?

essexguy
Conversation Starter

I don’t get the option to tick or untick anything like that , the app simply refuses to add my TT account, as does the Gmail app. both used to work a few months ago, but after repeated problems ,I uninstalled both and tried to re add my account, this is when the problems started.

As I have said Microsoft ran a trace, unfortunately I have since uninstalled the app and reinstalled it ,so I no longer have a copy of the details to forward onto you, but they are adamant that the problem lies with TTs SSL servers ?

more and more mail apps I’ve tried will add my account under POP rules, but just rejects the account when I try to use IMAP.

Clearly its something TT have done over the last few months that is causing this problem, as its so much more than just 1 particular app that’s having a problem adding TT email accounts.

OCE_Ady

If you can't add the account in the app and don't get asked for security details I don't understand how our servers can be failing you. Can you post or PM me a screenshot at the point of failure? If MS gave you a report on the failure could you forward that to me too?

essexguy
Conversation Starter

screen shots sent by PM as requested

OCE_Karl

Hi,

Can you confirm you are using the outgoing server smtp.talktalk.net port 587 ?

Have you tried one of the free mail apps such as mymail ?

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

essexguy
Conversation Starter

Hi Karl,

Yes i have tried using outgoing server port 587.

I can use a couple of mail apps, the current Sony one that came with my phone will allow me to connect using POP3 , cloudmagic will allow me to add my TT account too, but i dont see why customers should not be able to use the maill app they choose, the problem is with TT servers as Microsoft have done a trace and told me as much, if it was just the Outlook App that wouldnt allow my account, i might accept it was a problem with them, but as so many other IMAP apps wont allow me to use my account its pretty obvious that as usual, its a TALKTALK problem

Outlook and Gmail did used to work till a couple of months ago, so what is it TT have done to mess it up ? The continued awful email performance offered by TT is beyond a joke now, i , along with many other customers are pretty much on the verge of giving up.... year after year, month after month weve been promised the email problems will be fixed ...... and still were gullible enough to believe you !!!

connelly73
Team Player

I have the same issue and can see from the reply I also get from Microsoft that the issue is with the talktalk server. They state that the talktalk servers do not have a valid certificate and the outlook app requires this for security (makes sense) if you check the link https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html#hostname=mail.talktalk.net you can se there is no valid certificate (it states No SSL certificates were found on mail.talktalk.net)

Odd that talktalk don't have this? Any update please?

essexguy
Conversation Starter

Unfortunately Talktalk have not bothered to reply to my last  post on 22/09/15 , we all  know the problem lies with TTs mailservers but getting anything done seems to be impossible.

I have not had any reply about this problem since my last post, it seems the best way TT deem to handle problems is to ignore them and hope that customers just give up .!!

connelly73
Team Player

Yes I also see that trend Essexguy. I started another post and received this response:

"Hi connelly73, we don't have SSL on the incoming mail servers, that's correct. It's not a fault or a glitch it's a design feature. I'm told we're looking making a change to that in the future."

Odd why they didn't tell you this eh? Come on TT it looks like you know this and still ignore. Strange a large company like TT doesn't have SSL and certificates on their servers and just fob off customers with we are looking into it?

FinMac
First Timer

I read this with interest as I have exactly the same problem!! Outlook for Android configured my Apple and Gmail accounts with no problems, but will not accept the settings I enter for TalkTalk mail, it just will not work!! Outlook for Windows 10 on my laptop is the same, as is Aquamail, a paid for Android email app. This means I have to access my TalkTalk mail on a web browser which, although not difficult, is inconvenient, as I'd like them all in one place. I will continue to check this thread in the hope for a solution! Cmon talktalk...sort it please!

D4LL4S
Whizz Kid

I have the very same problem, unable to setup email on phone or tablet, its been driving us mad as a family.

Everything was ok a few weeks ago, we were having a few issues with missing or late emails, but! now we cant even use TalkTalk email, it is absolutely rediculous.

I've been a TalkTalk customer for 8 years, looks like I will have to jump ship and look for a new provider. 

connelly73
Team Player

All talktalk servers do not have a valid certificate or implement SSL security on its mail servers. Microsoft Outlook does so it won't work with TT mail. Shouldn't surprise anyone after the last security hack.

johsz
Chatterbox

I have exactly the same problem and have also been with TalkTalk for 8 years.  Last night I wasted 2 hours trying to set up my new phone for e-mail and I repeatedly followed TalkTalk's own instructions on THEIR website and wondering what I was doing wrong.  It is one thing TalkTalk not having certificates or the right settings on the servers, BUT why do they give customers INCORRECT instructions?  It would better to be honest, or just take down the page, if it is no longer accurate.  So much time wasted.

@D4LL4S wrote:

I have the very same problem, unable to setup email on phone or tablet, its been driving us mad as a family.

Everything was ok a few weeks ago, we were having a few issues with missing or late emails, but! now we cant even use TalkTalk email, it is absolutely rediculous.

I've been a TalkTalk customer for 8 years, looks like I will have to jump ship and look for a new provider. 

tcmayhew
First Timer

I have exactly the same issue.  Have phoned help line 3 times but all they have done is send me links to the set up pages on the web site.  Can any out there help?

johsz
Chatterbox

I cracked it in the end, but I can't rember exactly what I did!  The solution was found by searching the web.  I remeber that much!  I think it involved setting up a false id, which somehow forced the android account addition system to open up some menu screens, giving more options and which it is necessary to complete for the account to be set up properly.