email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

max size of attachments

Robot5
Whizz Kid
Message 6 of 6

Hi all

Recently I have had a problem with attachments not being on incoming mail. They were all jpg.

when the sender reduced them down to 3 max, around 11MB, it seemed to work ok.

Anything larger in total size would be removed and the sender did not receive any message to say there was a problem.

So, I wonder has the total size of attachments been changed recently, and has the message informing the sender the total size is too large been removed now please ?

I use Talktalk web mail, logging on to receive my e-mails.

Kind regards

Robot 5

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Robot5
Whizz Kid
Message 1 of 6

Hi Gondola

Many thanks for your detailed info.

I found I could not see the message size because one needs to pull down the 'View' menu and tick the 'message size' option, I guess the default is to not display it.

It now works ok.

I will try some checks with the BT User who had problems sending to me in TT and see what we find.

More later.

Kind regards

Many Thanks

Robot5

Message 2 of 6

Hi Robot5, Gondola's advice as always is great. Please let us know how you get on. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Hi @Robot5 

In TalkTalk Mail the composed message size would be obtained by saving the message as a Draft and then selecting that draft to see the total message size displayed.  The Toolbar's View option has a menu item 'Message Size' that must be ticked to display the size.

For example, I have a standard test video file that is 15.5MB in file size.  With email overheads the message size is 21.2MB and that's what shows in the Drafts list view in TalkTalk Mail.

With BT Mail the webmail view does not show the total message size just the attachment size. There is an option to attach multiple files as a Zip file to try and compress the attachment size.

However there's a workaround for BT Mail.  To obtain the total email size the BT Mail user would save the file as a draft and then select in the options to Save as an eml file. No need to complete the file save but the file save window will show the file size being saved.  It'll be the same as the sent message size and the same as the message size shown in TalkTalk Mail.

I've just checked the 21.2MB email including 15.5MB file attachment sending from BT Mail to TalkTalk Mail and there's no problem.  Received as normal.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

0 Likes

Message 4 of 6

Hi Gondola

Thank you for your reply.

My Kidssafe option is turned off, so that one can be discounted, but thank you for telling me Gondola.

The e-mails all came from a BT user.

So there will always be a Too big error message sent to the sender if they exceed 25MB.

I feel certain that the sender rec'd no message, and I rec'd the e-mail with no attachment.

Gondola, Is it possible to check the total size of an e-mail before sending it ?

Kind regards

Robot5

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 5 of 6

Hi @Robot5 

TalkTalk Mail works on the basis of a total message size of 25MB. If the total message size exceeds that limit then there will be a TT601 error message returned to the sender.

I know from practical testing between Yahoo and TalkTalk Mail that message sizes up to the limit will successfully send and be received. And exceeding the limits will generate the TT601 Message Too Big failure notice.

However, the originator of a large mail message will not know that the entire end to end mail sending and delivery system will work with large message sizes. So, without testing it would be best for the originator to upload large files to, for example Google Drive or Dropbox and to email a link.

Remember that KidsSafe blocks file sharing sites by default so that default setting would need to be unticked to allow file sharing to work. How to use TalkTalk HomeSafe® 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

0 Likes