email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients

Oneeasygeezer
Conversation Starter
Message 10 of 10

I originally sent a greeting email to my normal distribution list comprising 20 people half were delivered and the rest weren't with the postmasters returned email stating "Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients."

Subject:     FW: Christmas Greetings

Sent:  20/12/2021 13:41

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached: and then listing the 10 email addresses which weren't delivered. 

The distribution list is one I've regularly sent emails to 5-6 times a year without problems.

I also just sent a single email to a single friend and received the same response. " Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients."

Subject:     FW: Christmas Greetings

Sent:  20/12/2021 13:41

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

Debbie ????? xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 20/12/2021 13:41

Server error: '453 4.1.1 zIuHm1RhRAlJY Too Many Recipients (TT501)'

obviously the ??? and xxxx mask the intended recipients  details. Its a single email !!!

PB Frewer
0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Hi Oneeasygeezer 

The Outlook settings are good. No changes necessary there.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution

Message 2 of 10

Hi Gondola

I've been using the VPN's intermittently for around 3 years but for the last 2 years it's been set to start on booting up, I had considered the VPN but discounted it by virtue that on a couple of distribution lists the first 4 or 5 emails were sent and the postmaster listed those where the action failed, but my reasoning could well be at fault.

I had previously considered replicating the distribution list in TT webmail but decided not to purely as it's another job to do ensuring the distribution list are kept in sync but it may be the only option so I'll add the lists to my address book in webmail and the next time I need to send to the group which will probably be in February I'll use it and see what happens.

The server settings are attached, I'm not sure whether I'll get much time over the Christmas period to keep updated but I'll view any messages on my phone. Thanks for your help it's appreciated, so I'll log out for now and wish you and those you hold dear a very Merry Christmas and a safe and healthy New Year.

Oneeasygeezer. 🎅🎄

PB Frewer
0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

Hi Oneeasygeezer 

Not sure there's much that's possible from TalkTalk's end as these spam protection systems don't have a per mailbox on-off switch.

Picking up on the fact that the issues started in 2020 when you'd just switched to using Outlook365 I think we should double check the Outlook settings for incoming and outgoing mail. Screenshot the settings and upload here after image editing to obscure the first part of your email address. Leave the @domain part.

When did you start using the Norton VPN? 

What I'd normally do in the circumstances is to use TalkTalk Mail webmail as you know that the outgoing mail is fully authenticated and I'd bypass the VPN just in case.

Message 4 of 10

Hi Gondola

I retried sending the email to the people on the remain distribution list the next day and again it was returned with the same message, the information I need to get out was now 3 days old so in desperation I sent it from another account with no problem.

For clarity I should explain that my TalkTalk emails are hosted via Outlook and in Jan 2020 I changed from a stand alone MS Office suite version of Outlook to MS 365 which includes Outlook and at the same time changed my emails from pop to IMAP.

I really need to understand what's happening with my account,  I've been sending these emails out for the last 15 years or so with no problem, the problems seemed to start mid 2020 but that could be due to the number of times I needed to email people via the distribution lists.  I can't keep sending emails out testing different possibilities as they would probably be treated as spam therefore making the problem worse, is there anyway of somebody within TalkTalk having a look at what's causing the problem so I can either work around the parameters in place otherwise I need to abandon my TalkTalk email and look for another provider.    

PB Frewer
0 Likes

Message 5 of 10

Hi Oneeasygeezer 

Let's suppose that low rate limiting is because of spam protection being triggered, for whatever reason, then that limiting might still be present unless you wait 24 hours.  Just saying that you may not get better test results unless you hold off from sending mail for a day.

Message 6 of 10

Hi Gondola 

Thanks for that, I'm happy that my account hasn't been hijacked but it's no trouble to change the password so I'll do that later. so far I've only had one incorrect email addresses reported, I do however us Norton's VPN but set my location as the UK. I did think it was just a case of so many emails within an hour I could auto schedule 90 minutes between each mailing would would be simple to do. I'll try a couple of other things and get back to you.  

PB Frewer

Message 7 of 10

Hi Oneeasygeezer 

TalkTalk can flex the sending limits under certain conditions in order to control the risk of spam. You mention having 4 distribution lists each of 25 recipients and in normal circumstances you would not be able to send to all of those lists at the same time as that would trigger the TT501 error. Sending to one distribution list per hour and that would normally be ok.

Sending to only 18 recipients in isolation would not normally be expected to trigger the TT501 error. It may indicate that either your mailbox is being used by other people or that there's another reason for your mail being rate limited to quite a low level.

Changing the password is the fix to make sure you're the only person able to sign in to your mailbox.

Rate limiting may be triggered by sending to incorrect email addresses or if your mail has been marked as spam / blocked by some recipients. Using a VPN, although touted as being more secure, can result in rate limiting if that VPN is hosted in an overseas country that may have a higher risk of spam sending or if the VPN itself has a poor reputation for sending spam.

A low rate limit may take 24 hours, after the last send, in order to be relaxed.

Oneeasygeezer
Conversation Starter
Message 8 of 10

Hi 

Many thanks for that I was able to send the next batch of 12 emails 2hrs later, however the next batch of 18 sent nearly 5 hours later failed again with the same error code. Is there anywhere that we can see what restrictions are placed on sending emails in terms of individual size, number sent with a set period, or any other restrictions, as I regularly send emails to 4 distribution lists of 25 recipients 5-6 times a year but up until now I've never had a problem? 

PB Frewer
0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 9 of 10

Hi Oneeasygeezer 

TT501 means that your mailbox sending over the previous hour has exceeded an acceptable limit. A temporary stop on sending has been triggered. The fix is to wait for at least an hour after the last successful send and during that hour the recipient counter will be fully reset.