email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migration muddle

dismaid
Popular Poster
Message 10 of 10

Over the last few weeks i have received several emails in my legacy Onetel mailboxes with something about migration in the subject line, and a one line message that gives very little information and a link to nowhere.  They looked like spam or possibly phishing, so I deleted them and reported them accordingly.  I got no response to say that they were not spam.  So i carried on deleting them.  When I checked my TT spam folder I found two more copies in there, so even TT's own spam filters marked them as spam.  I think you could do better than that.  The bottom line is that I did not get proper notice to take the action required to prepare for the 'upgrade'.

Now I find that one of my Onetel addresses is claimed by TalkTalk to have an invalid password or username.  The mailbox has not been 'migrated' to my TT mailbox (just what does migration mean anyway - will it have the same email address, will it apear in addition to the five other TT email addresses i can have etc., etc.).

Perhaps the solution was in one of the 'spam' emails which I deleted.  Fortunately, I still have one which this time seems to contain a bunch of instruction, so maybe i can sort it out from that.  But I am really annoyed by the crass and incompetent way this migration has been implemented, and it annoys me further that I have to join a forum and remember yet another set of login details just to express my annoyance, and probably in the near future, get assistance in sorting out my lost email accounts. 

So now I'm going to have a look.  I hope I don't have tp come back here again.

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Hi Gondola,

TYhanks for the prompt response.  No, the passwod does not meet the security criteria you cite, but then, neither do the other two that still work.  I can fix that.  I wonder if Onetel ever sent me a message telling me to upgrade. Of course, they wil say they did.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 10

Hi dismaid 

Personal Information (Click here) Then scroll down to Private notes to add email address(es), notes and references etc and then save changes.

Private notes.png

Does the password for the failing onetel email address meet the current security requirements of being at least 8 multicase letters and number(s)?

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

I've just spent five minutes searching for private notes, and they are definitely not at the bottom of MY profile page, or settings, or similar.  I really hate it when things are not where I am told they will be.

Moving on, I have 3 Onetel addresses, all of which were readily available through my email client as they have been for years, but only two now work while one now throws up "The host claims that either the username or password you have provided is invalid"  It is still accessible through webmail, so what gives.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

Hi dismaid, if you add the onetel email addresses to private notes at the bottom of your profile page of your community profile I'll happily check their status for you. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Geluk
Conversation Starter
Message 5 of 10

When I reviewed these notification e mails, via webmail, the body of the e mail, does not render,

How do TT allow such basic errors?

If I forward the email to another e mail & open in O/Look, message is readable.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

First, I now discover that the one line email I interpreted as spam was the result of a poorly configured upgrade of some of my other software, so sorry for that.  It still doesn't explain why TT marked it as spam.

You didn't specifically answer the question, but I conclude that my legacy email address (me@Onetel.com) is the Primary Email Address, and I should not have to repeat the process for each legacy address (mybrother@Onetel.com), or is that an alias?   To clarify, if an address requires a different password to access it, is it a separate Primary Address ?

Thanks for your help - this is worrying me.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 10

Hi dismaid 

The emails talk about primary addresses because some legacy mail users were issued with a primary email address and could then create alias email addresses linked to the primary.

Other users just kept to the primary address.  So, to explain that the reason registering a primary address, even if its a sole address, is because a password recovery reset can only be carried out on the primary address.

The recovery email address is an alternative active email address that you use or can set up (preferably a non-talktalk address) to use in the password recovery reset process to receive a link to authorise change to the primary address password. You can also register a mobile phone to receive a 6 digit password recovery reset code to authorise change to the primary address password.

A lot of detail here but I hope it's clear.

Message 8 of 10

Hi Gondola,

Thanks for your prompt response.

You say "TalkTalk sent advance notice emails of the upgrade of onetel mail (in fact all legacy mail domains) to the TalkTalk Mail platform."  That is true.  That email had the subject line "Your email upgrade is coming"  and a message content of "No formatted contents. Please try the following link to dsplay plain text, if any."  That looks mighty like a phishing email, and I feel totally justified in deleting it without clickiing the link.

Over the following two weeks I got two more emails with the same subject line which TT's own spam filter put in my TT spam folder, so I didn't read those either. 

Have any other customers had their notices from TT diverted to their spam folder ?  Is TT doing anything about it ?

Having seen the forum messages, Idecided to risk it and see what these 'spam' messages actually contained, and indeed there are detailed instructions on "A few things for you to do"

Number 1 of these says "Be sure to enter your Primary Email Address, included in the migration email we recently sent."  The only email address mentioned in the migration email is the legacy adress.  Is that my Primary Email Address?   What email adress should I use for the Recovery Address ?  This is not at all clear.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 9 of 10

Hi @dismaid 

To link this topic to your TalkTalk Mail service, in preparation for direct help from TalkTalk support, please check your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here):

Your name, current TalkTalk landline 'phone and alternate number (mobile preferred). Add your full address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add email address(es), notes and references etc and then save changes.

TalkTalk sent advance notice emails of the upgrade of onetel mail (in fact all legacy mail domains) to the TalkTalk Mail platform.

Sorry to see you deleted those emails.

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub has more information about upgrading to TalkTalk Mail. If you know the password you may be able to sign in to TalkTalk Mail.

Let us know of any error message.

Upgrade information for onetel users.