Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

moving dsl.pipex.com from pop3 to imap, on android phone, also Kindle HD

ANSWERED
6 REPLIES 6
Ronald67
First Timer

Does anyone know, please, the correct incoming and outgoing server settings I need to use in order to change my Samsung phone and kindle HD pipex email over from pop3 to imap?. I am NOT very confident with I.T.

The phone is currently set to

incoming; pop.dsl.pipex.com, security type "none", port 110

Outgoing: smtp.dsl.pipex.com, security type "none", port 25

Kindle HD

incoming; pop.dsl.pipex.com, use secure connection (SSL) no, port 110

Outgoing: smtp.dsl.pipex.com, use secure connection (SSL) no, port 587

TalkTalk are advising making the change, but I would welcome advice from those who know more than I do (so pretty much anyone!) as to whether this is necessary / essential. I also use a laptop (outlook), but the settings for that are in a post on this site.

Gondola
Community Star
Solution

Hi @Ronald67 

I'll assume you haven't got any mail messages you want to keep that are only on the mobile devices? If you have then save them to a folder or another mail account as you may lose them in the change from POP to IMAP.

The change from POP to IMAP requires that you remove the mail account from each device and then add afresh as an IMAP (other) mail account.

The setup should be automatic by entering the email address and password.  Sometimes this works and sometimes not. So, if you need the manual / advanced settings they are:

Incoming; imap.dsl.pipex.com, security type "SSL/TLS", port 993

Outgoing: smtp.dsl.pipex.com, security type "StartTLS", port 587

Some Samsung phones will ask use TLS/SSL? The answer is yes.

Kindle HD

Incoming; imap.dsl.pipex.com, use secure connection (SSL) yes, port 993

Outgoing: smtp.dsl.pipex.com, use secure connection (SSL) yes, port 587

Both require a sign in using Normal Password

If you need additional help then just say. Sometimes the email apps don't set up as you'd expect them to or may not present the expected options.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

Ronald67
First Timer
Thanks, that is helpful.

Do I HAVE to make the change, or can I just stick with pop3?.
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Ronald67 

You most certainly can stay with POP3 communication as both POP3 and IMAP are supported by the TalkTalk Mail platform.

I would urge you to upgrade to secure SSL/TLS communication though as every time you use insecure email the message content and password is vulnerable to interception between you and the mail server.

You should be able to just switch on the secure SSL/TLS settings manually without changing the account type.  If secure settings do not set up correctly then you may need to re-enter the password when prompted / accept a certificate when prompted or in some cases remove the account and set up afresh.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

Ronald67
First Timer
Splendid, thanks v.much for this sound advice.
OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Ronald67, it's great to see that it's sorted. Gondola is always a safe pair of hands and will always get things sorted. 

Thanks for marking the post as best answer too that's a great help to others.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

PaulGu
Team Player

Great, that worked for me! But why can't the Knowledge Base article tell you that? It doesn't mention smtp.dsl.pipex.com at all.