email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

outgoing email not delivered

oldfogie
Whizz Kid
Message 12 of 12

yesterday I tried to send a warning to some friends about a very credible phishing email I had received. I'm getting a

"Message Delivery Failure"

FROM   mailer-daemon@secureserver.net

Reason: There was an error while attempting to deliver your message with [Subject: "Skillbank client list: CAUTION: SCAM "talktalk" EMAIL"] to (hidden)
MTA p3plwbeout26-03.prod.phx3.secureserver.net received this response from the destination host IP - 104.47.12.33 - 550 , 550 5.7.1 Unfortunately, messages from [216.69.139.28] weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list (S3150).

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Take screenshots and send those images in a pdf attachment without any links and you should be ok.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

oldfogie
Whizz Kid
Message 2 of 12

Thanks Gondola; my site is a "business site" but runs as a non-profit with proceeds to charity. Just a hobby really; but as a result I cant claim its a personal site, and I'm reluctant to use charity money to pay for a service if its not essential.

I guess I'll just have to wait until the block is removed.   And find a better way to warn clients of spam email.

Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 12

If you look further into the website you quoted you'll see that you can set up DMARC reporting for a personal domain as a limited free or a paid service.

In TalkTalk Mail that's all taken care of.

But the previous advice to never send or forward spam or phishing mail to others still applies. If you do so then the sending IP address or domain can end up on anti-spam block lists whether you have DMARC policies set up or not.

oldfogie
Whizz Kid
Message 4 of 12

I've now had the following reply (below): 

I've looked into DMARC and

https://dmarcian.com/domain-checker/

confirms that spf & DKIM are OK.

Is DMARC essential, and if so can I set it up free or is it a paid for service?

I apologize for the delayed reply. 
Your domain has valid SPF and DKIM records. There is no DMARC is it needs to be created by you. 
Do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further assistance. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

Please do let us know as soon as you know. If you need more help just shout. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

oldfogie
Whizz Kid
Message 6 of 12

I'm awaiting a response from my ISP (Tsohost) - I'll update when I get answers from them.

Message 7 of 12

Hi oldfogie, did Gondola help you get this sorted?

If not please let us know.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 8 of 12

Hi oldfogie 

You'll see that a whole block of addresses have been put onto the spam blocklists so it's not only the public IP address allocated to your router.  TalkTalk do not allocate or reallocate specific IP addresses because the IP addresses are dynamically allocated to the router when connecting to the TalkTalk network.  Depower the router for a minimum of 30 minutes and you may find a different IP address has been allocated. If you're lucky someone hasn't been using the new IP address to send spam or phishing mail messages. 

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

You're not using TalkTalk Mail but your own domain. So we don't know if that personal email address is fully authenticated by SPF, whether the mail messages are DKIM signed nor whether your personal domain is set up to use DMARC policies. CloudMark, that's also in use by TalkTalk, will readily defer for spam scanning mail that comes in without being fully authenticated. That's aside from the IP address being on spam blacklists.

oldfogie
Whizz Kid
Message 9 of 12

I passed this enquiry to the company that host my domain and have received this reply

"I have now checked your local IP address 92.3.115.160 and I can see that it is listed in several RBLs, which is the reason why the emails that you send via your email client Thunderbird 78.14.0, have bounced. You can check your IP reputation from here:

https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a92.3.115.160&run=toolpage

Bear in mind that our Cloudmark spam filtering system is checking if the IP from which the client is connected/has sent emails is within a blacklist. IF that is the case the system is routing the emails via blacklisted IP in order to protect the reputation of the primary/shared IP address of the email server. This is and the reason, which you are able to send directly via your default Webmail application/Webmail, and the emails have not bounced as they are sent directly via the IP of the shared server.

That said I would personally recommend contacting your ISP and request a delist of your IP address if possible or ask them to assign you a new clean IP address."

0 Likes

Message 10 of 12

Hi oldfogie,

I can see that Gondola has given you great advice as always

Chris

Gondola
Community Star
Message 11 of 12

Report a phishing mail to TalkTalk or the Government SERS website. Never send it on to any others or your emails can be dealt with as the source of the threat and blocked. 

Report a phishing or spam email