Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

talktalk mailer daemon

14 REPLIES 14
chemist
Popular Poster

I have three aborted emails to the same -correct- address. The address the mailer daemon claims I have used is not the one I did use. What is going on>

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @chemist 

When mail isn't deliverable you'll often receive a bounceback error message from Mailer-daemon. If spammers are spoofing your mail address to send spam but the recipient address doesn't exist then you'll receive the bounceback error because yours was the sending email address being spoofed. Compromised or spoofed accounts 

But you say the sending email address wasn't yours. So, are these messages sent to your mailbox being forwarded from another mailbox of yours that's receiving them?

What could be helpful is to get us a view of the raw header.  Select one of the Mailer daemon messages from the Inbox, then select View source from the toolbar actions menu (triple line icon immediately above the mail list or mail message) then in the window select Ctrl + A (Windows) Command + A (Mac) then Ctrl + C (Windows) Command + C (Mac) to copy into the clipboard and from there open notepad or word document and paste the details into a document file using Ctrl + V (Windows) Command + V (Mac).  Edit out your own email address (and your recipients - replace with a string of *******) and then print to pdf and drag and drop to the cloud icon below this Reply area. Or just Reply and paste into the Body of the Reply to Message.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

chemist
Popular Poster

Thanks for taking the trouble to answer my query.

My son, to whom I addressed the email - 4 times - phoned last night to say that he had received 4 identical emails from me. So, the aborts did not in fact prevent the emails getting through.. Since they were correctly addressed and I have no other accounts, that is what would have been expected. The aborts did not occur but the abort messages were received 3 times! 

Gondola
Community Star

OK, to summarise my understanding:

• You sent your son's email address three duplicate mail messages
  • All were sent and all received

• You received mailer-daemon messages to your Inbox
  • The mailer-daemon messages referred to a different mailbox address

It would be useful to see the contents of the mailer-daemon message and whether that was actually sent by the TalkTalk server or your son's mail service provider or another source and whether it quoted your message(s) sent to your son.

It would be good to get to the root cause of this unusual case.

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

chemist
Popular Poster

Thanks for continuing to study my query..The email address in the aborted message is my son`s email address with 2 digits missing! It should be obscured for customer security

It automatically enters the `To` box as i type my son`s name, of course.

This came from:

mailer-daemon@talktalk.net

This is the automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.     

Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 5 second(s):

* thecelroys@btinternet.com

Reason: The following message to thecelroys@btinternet.com was undeliverable.The reason for the problem:  550 RCPT TO:<thecelroys@btinternet.com> User unknown

Gondola
Community Star

Hi chemist 

I've obscured the real email address in your post to protect your son's security.

I've checked the real email address and it is valid on the BT Mail platform provided by synchronoss. I am aware that BT have had some issues with recognising alias email addresses on the synchronoss platform although this address is not an obvious alias and is perfectly valid. 

I can't for the moment see why the number and the following character were removed but the bounceback has happened because the email address in its truncated form was rejected by BT Mail even though the mail system did obviously accept the messages.

Would you send your son another mail message but this time delete any auto-inserted email address and fully enter his mail address manually.  See if that is also getting rejected.

Do you have another BT Mail address to test with to see if that also errors.

chemist
Popular Poster

Thanks again for the reply.

I emailed my brother, yesterday, who has an btinternet address and it went through okay.

On the other hand, I had a Mail Delivery System abort on an email to my daughter  on a doctors.org.uk address but this email also got through to her.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @chemist 

What I'm trying to determine is if your auto-inserted mail address for your son is corrupted but still recognisable by the incoming mail. This is why I asked you to manually enter your son's email address and send an email to see if that gets a mailer-daemon bounceback indicating missing characters.

So, a different mailing address also gets a bounceback. Does that also indicate a corruption of the local part of the email address?  Two missing characters again?

We've yet to see anyone else reporting these type of mailer-daemon bouncebacks so would like to determine where the mailer-daemon process is failing.

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi chemist, I'll leave you in the very capable hands of Gondola who would appear to be well on the way to getting this sorted for you. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

chemist
Popular Poster

Thanks. I did as you asked, today. I typed in manually my son`s email address @btinternet.com.The message got through okay.

The message that was aborted - after 25 hours - the other day - to my daughter on @doctors.org.uk, actually showed her address as @doctors.org - that is without the `.uk` So the Mail Delivery System was not responding correctly to the auto-inserted address of @doctory.org.uk. but it got through.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi chemist 

Grateful thanks for staying with the troubleshooting. Here's my thinking on this issue so far.

The addresses stored and auto-entered are corrupted with additional 'hidden' characters. The mailbox lookup of the email address validates the characters and ignores the non-valid hidden characters. But spam checking doesn't need to validate the address and just takes it as it is which causes some of the address following the hidden characters to be suppressed which then triggers the mailer-daemon bounceback. 

The workaround is to delete the Address book entry email address and re-enter that address. The fact that two auto-entered email addresses failed but manually entering the email address is good indicates to me that, until proved otherwise, the fault is with a corruption of email addresses in your Address book.

So, a fresh Address book entry for your son and daughter will hopefully provide the fix. I'm assuming here that it's not a corruption that's being made when the addresses are auto-entered as the other BT Mail address was good.

Have you copied the Address book from a previous contacts list?  Corruption during the Export / Import process? 

Let us know how you get on and your thoughts.

OCE_Ady

Hi chemist, Gondola is as always right on the money. I'd take the advice. You'll find this same advice across many other email forums. It's very common on the Microsoft sites. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

chemist
Popular Poster

Thanks for that. I have, at some point, to try to copy my email contacts list to a new - 2019 - version of Microsoft Outlook.  I will endeavour to re-enter the important addresses in that process.

You responses have been very reassuring.

Regards

Chemist

Gondola
Community Star

Hi chemist

Outlook is a special case because it has an AutoComplete cache.

The AutoComplete cache can get corrupted over time.  The advice here from Microsoft about the AutoComplete list gives you the information you need.  Scroll down to the section 'Issues with the AutoComplete cache' to see how to resolve those issues of corruption.

OCE_Ady

Keep us posted on your progress chemist, it's always good to know how you're getting on. 

Ady