email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

toucansurf legacy email

civory
Conversation Starter
Message 33 of 33

I have an old toucansurf account and from today the receiving POP3 account credentials on my Outlook client account no longer work.

I am unable to log in to this account via the TalkTalk webmail page.

Any ideas how I can access the server to change settings?

I am assuming this has occurred due to a change by TalkTalk in how they manage the legacy toucansurf.com accounts.  

Chris
0 Likes
32 REPLIES 32

Message 1 of 33

Hi civory, I'm pleased to see that you've now got control of your emails again.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 33

Hi Christine

We appreciate you taking time out to let us have your feedback and more importantly that you're happily back in action with the toucansurf email account that is currently in active use.

If the other mailboxes are deleted through non-use then that's also good as it's further protecting your online security.

If the system does detect suspicious activity and locks the account then the legitimate user having set up password recovery does have the power to upgrade the password and recover access. When this falls down it's usually because password recovery hasn't been kept up to date.

My personal wish list (not just for Christmas) is for two-factor authentication to be added and then, with a mobile device to receive alerts and authorise changes, user security will be substantially upgraded.

Happy Christmas from Gondola and family.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

civory
Conversation Starter
Message 3 of 33

Gondola - regarding TalkTalk advising me of an upgrade - there have been no messages that I'm aware of relating to this.

It's kind of academic to be honest regarding the aliases as I long since ceased using them.  I was just trying to understand what might have happened.

It would be good to get a full explanation of how and why the legacy account's password was changed - if the explanation was a system change due to a weak password that is understandable, but surely would merit some kind of warning!?  I don't believe the account has been compromised.

Chris
0 Likes

civory
Conversation Starter
Message 4 of 33

Thank you both Gondola and Ady - I have now successfully accessed my @toucansurf.com account.  I am most grateful for your assistance and responsiveness.

Merry Christmas!

Chris

Message 5 of 33

OK, well, that's a master mailbox format so I'd normally expect each of those email addresses to be recognised by the TalkTalk password authentication. i.e. you should be able to sign in using any of those addresses and, if active, if it's an alias address it will link you to the master mailbox. You'd use the master mailbox password.

The fact you got 'no domain' as a response does indicate to me that the address entered, when trying the forgotten password journey, is not recognised by the sign in authentication.

When the toucansurf mailbox or mailboxes were upgraded to the TalkTalk Mail platform then the email that detailed advice about the upgrade would have mentioned whether the email address was linked to other addresses. Do you remember or still have a copy of that email / set of emails or would it/they be in the mailbox that you're waiting on recovering access to?

civory
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 33

They're all username@toucansurf.com

Chris
0 Likes

Message 7 of 33

What format is the email address? username@domain or individual@username.domain?

civory
Conversation Starter
Message 8 of 33

That was what I had assumed re the aliases but weirdly the account that does apparently have a TalkTalk domain is NOT the master account.

Chris
0 Likes

Message 9 of 33

Hi Christine

Normally the error message of no domain means that the email address is not recognised as having a mailbox on the TalkTalk Mail platform.  This will be the case if an alias is of the form individual@username.toucansurf.com where the master email address is of the form username@toucansurf.com.

What happens with aliases is that the master email address has a mailbox and aliases are recognised as being linked to the mailbox. If still active, the alias address will be recognised and mail will be delivered to the master mailbox. 

What I suggest, as the simplest solution, is wait until you've recovered access to the master toucansurf mailbox and then send the aliases a test mail message.  Then see if you get an 'undeliverable' bounceback that means the alias address no longer exists or if, fingers crossed, the test mail messages arrive in the master Inbox.

civory
Conversation Starter
Message 10 of 33

I have a supplementary question regarding the @toucansurf.com legacy accounts - I have two other accounts with the same @toucansurf.com suffix, and if I make any attempt to go through the same password reset process, I am informed that these "do not have a TalkTalk domain".

It's puzzling why one of them apparently does pass that test, but the other two do not.  They're all aliases of the same account originally.

Chris
0 Likes

civory
Conversation Starter
Message 11 of 33
Okey dokey thanks. I will gaze into my crystal ball in the meantime.
Chris

Message 12 of 33

That's because the other password reset options aren't yet set up. The TalkTalk team have to do that manually for you. So as they don't remember the Harry Potter wizarding spells to get this done in a flash it just takes a while.

Relax, get a coffee, have a doughnut, sleep, wake up tomorrow and try again.

civory
Conversation Starter
Message 13 of 33

Thanks Gondola unfortunately I'm not seeing options to use any other method except an emailed link to the account that I don't have access to.  This is what I see:

civory_0-1607436082233.png

Chris
0 Likes

Message 14 of 33

Hi Christine

Try tomorrow to select the Forgotten password button in the help page Changing your email password.  When you see password reset options of your password recovery alternate email address and or mobile 'phone number then you can send a reset link or code and be able to choose a new password.

civory
Conversation Starter
Message 15 of 33

Thanks - I've had a quick look - I presume I don't want to request a reset link, since I can't access the email account anyway.  

How will I know when the password has been reset please?

Chris
0 Likes

Message 16 of 33

Hi civory, I've requested the change of password reset details for you.  It will complete in the next 24 hours and your can check by intermittently accessing Password Reset Tools.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

civory
Conversation Starter
Message 17 of 33

I've added my mobile into My Account (sorry I thought you meant the forum details).

Chris
0 Likes

civory
Conversation Starter
Message 18 of 33

Sorry a bit confused, I already have my mobile number set up in my personal details.

Chris
0 Likes

Message 19 of 33

Hi civory, some of the information doesn't match that held on our systems. Please provide the last 4 digits of your regular payment method or add a mobile to your personal details in MyAccount and let me know when it's done.

Ady

0 Likes

civory
Conversation Starter
Message 20 of 33

Thanks Ady I've answered the questions.

Chris