email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unwanted emails

Girl on the hill
First Timer
Message 5 of 5

I am sick of receiving emails from bitcoin and the like.  Can anyone tell me how to block them.

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

Hi Girl on the hill, Gondola's advice is always good. Please let us know how you get on. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 5

Hi Girl on the hill 

OK, we'll assume your email address is known to multiple spammers and you're being spammed from multiple locations and probably different senders each time. So, once your email address is so widely known it's a relentless task to stop spam being sent to you. 

You can use TalkTalk Mail Filter Rules to try and detect these unwanted messages by not accepting mail from specific domains or not accepting mail when specific words unique to the spam are used in the Subject or Body of the message. This isn't always successful as there are ways of getting around such filters.

There is a way to just accept mail from your wanted senders though. That's to set up a simple Filter Rule containing the email addresses of the people and organisations that you want to accept mail from. The Filter Rule does need to be updated when you add new contacts but it's simple to Edit to add a new Condition specifying a new contact email address.

Where to find the Filter Rules:

Filter Rules - Add new rule

Filter rule - Not my contacts

The Filter Rule shown will move all mail into the Spam folder that's not sent from any of the email addresses that are listed in the Conditions.  Organisations will usually advise you of the email address to put into your 'Contacts' or Address Book and this is the email address to add as a Condition to the Filter rule to make sure their mail doesn't get sent to the Spam folder.

I'm advising that all of the potentially uninvited mail is Filed into the Spam folder because that offers an extra protection for you. When mail messages are moved into the TalkTalk Mail Spam folder all links in the message content are disabled as a security measure.

Therefore if there was a hidden link in a spam mail it would not be active. To indicate the disabled link the text is light grey with a strikethrough. 

Spam Folder mail content has links disabled

NB The above example isn't a spam mail message, just one that's been used for demonstration purposes to show what disabled links look like. 

An extra tip is to untick the Mail display setting to Allow pre-loading of externally linked images.  That means you're not loading or displaying any images in the mail messages that are hosted on external websites that would instantly tell a spammer you have an active mail account.

Allow pre-loading of externally linked images

Let us know how you get on with just accepting mail from your contacts as we do appreciate feedback.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the reply.  I do always mark these emails as spam but the next time I check my emails they are back.  It's usually bitcoin or some sort of slimming aid.  They are a nuisance.  Thanks for the advice

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 4 of 5

Hi @Girl on the hill 

TalkTalk give you tools to mark spam to report spam and phishing and to filter spam. Report a phishing or spam email 

But if the spam is beyond a joke then you have to take more action than relentlessly trying to fight off and failing to can the spam!  Set up a whitelist mail filter or delete the email address entirely. You can set up a mail filter to accept mail just from your wanted contacts.

TalkTalk give you up to 5 email addresses. Consider migrating your mail contacts to a new email address. It's far more satisfying notifying contacts that you're taking an email address out of the hands of spammers.

To see if your email address is part of a known data breach enter the email address at haveibeenpwned website. Let us know in general terms what that indicates.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer