cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Why should we have to pay a ransom for old email accounts?

14 REPLIES 14
I8this
Enlightened One

https://www.itpro.co.uk/email-providers/34839/why-should-we-have-to-pay-a-ransom-for-old-email-accou...

Why should we have to pay a ransom for old email accounts?

•  

•  
Barry Collins Opinion
19 Nov, 2019

With other free and low-cost hosting options available, holding onto old broadband addresses makes little sense

You’ve doubtless read repeated warnings about how to avoid ransomware, but even the companies we think of as the good guys attempt to take hostages – your cherished email address being one of them.

People cling to their email address like their mobile phone number, because they’ve had it from way back when their computer made screeching noises every time they went online; it’s the one that all their friends have saved in their address books; and they use it for all their online accounts. Moving email address is only marginally less hassle than moving house.

The broadband providers know this all too well, which is why you’ll get stung if you try to retain a provider’s email account after you leave them. BT charges you £7.50 per month for the Premium Email service you need to keep old BT email addresses running, while TalkTalk will fleece you for a fiver each month to keep TalkTalk or Tiscali addresses active. When better-equipped webmail accounts are free, that doesn’t half hurt.

How do you avoid getting caught in this trap? My advice is to steer clear of broadband provider accounts in the first place. Gmail, Outlook and the like will probably remain free forever, and you can access them with whichever broadband provider or device you use.

The other alternative is to buy your own domain (bertjackson.co.uk, for example) and run your own email, which isn’t as expensive as you might think. The brilliant Zen Internet’s basic Bronze hosting package is £5.39 per month and that includes up to 10 email inboxes on your own domain.

A ‘.co.uk’ address costs £8.39 per year from Zen, which all added up is still cheaper than paying for BT Premium Email over the course of a year.

Whether you go down the free webmail route or buy your own domain, moving an email account is not as tricky as you’d expect. The key is preparation: don’t shut off the old account before moving to the new one, and give yourself a couple of months with both running to give you the best chance of a smooth transition.

The first step is to import the messages from your old account to the new one. Most webmail providers offer an import tool somewhere in their settings – Gmail’s can be found by clicking the Settings cog, choosing Settings and then selecting the ‘Accounts and Import’ tab. You may want to spring-clean the old account first, getting rid of any messages with huge attachments that you don’t need.

Next, you need to set up two things on your old account: a forwarder that sends all incoming messages to the new account; and an auto-reply that explains to your correspondents that you’re moving to a new address and to please update their contacts. Obviously, emails from stores such as Amazon and eBay, utility companies and even your bank won’t pay any attention to this, so you’ll have to do the manual drudge work of changing your registered email address with key accounts.

On the plus side, you’ll find you get rid of an awful lot of junk mail and accounts that you didn’t want in the first place when you finally turn the forwarder off and close the old account. And you’ll feel like Liam Neeson, having freed your email account from the hostage takers.

If case you have forgotten the Do’s and Don’ts. There are members that have. Remember:-Be yourself and tell it like it is,. Be courteous to other customers. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Update your community profile.
ferguson
Community Star

You don't. As that piece makes clear. Troll on.

I8this
Enlightened One

Yet again reply post deleted/removed without the notification as required by the forum rules T&C,s etc

If case you have forgotten the Do’s and Don’ts. There are members that have. Remember:-Be yourself and tell it like it is,. Be courteous to other customers. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Update your community profile.
ferguson
Community Star

You should have been notified, check your spam/ junk folders. And feel free to post again without the personal remarks. You know the rules.

I8this
Enlightened One

And yet again reply post deleted/removed without the required  forum notification and no there is again nothing in my email folders.

ferguson
Community Star

Well there is something going wrong then, a message was definitely included. I suggest you escalate this as you see fit. Any further posts in breach of the community rules will continue to be removed. So just to remind you: stick to the topic, such as it is; refrain from making any personal comments. If you carry on in your previous vein I am minded to close the topic as it has generated zero discussion.

I8this
Enlightened One

Staying on topic.

Quote from the article:-

BT charges you £7.50 per month for the Premium Email service you need to keep old BT email addresses running, while TalkTalk will fleece you for a fiver each month to keep TalkTalk or Tiscali addresses active. When better-equipped webmail accounts are free, that doesn’t half hurt.

As no doubt many hundreds in not thousands of ex TalkTalk customers who still use a TalkTalk email address of one type or another will have had an email from TalkTalk containing the following passage.

TalkTalk customers can have up to five mailboxes with us for free, but in order to keep running and improving the service, we need to start charging for TalkTalk Mail if customers no longer have broadband with us.
If you have TalkTalk broadband with us and want to keep enjoying all the benefits of TalkTalk Mail for free, link your email address xxxxxxxxx@Tiscali.co.uk to your broadband account by clicking below.
Register your email address in My Account
Registering your email address in My Account will also let you easily change your password and keep your mailbox safe. If you don’t have My Account set-up, you will need to do so here.

Join us and keep your TalkTalk Mail free

If you’re not a TalkTalk customer, you can join us and continue to enjoy TalkTalk Mail for free. Call us on 0800 990 3635 to learn more about our great Fixed Low Price Plans and offers. All our plans include TalkTalk Mail at no extra cost.
If you want to just keep your email address, we’re happy to keep providing it to you, but you’ll need to sign up to TalkTalk Mail Plus for £5 a month or £50 a year.
Unfortunately, if you choose not to sign up for TalkTalk Mail Plus, from 28/11/2019 you’ll lose the vast majority of TalkTalk Mail features. For example, you’ll only be able to sign in at www.talktalk.co.uk/mail to check your emails.
A few months after 28/11/2019, we will start closing down mailboxes that aren’t registered to a TalkTalk Broadband account or signed up for TalkTalk Mail Plus.

Thanks,
Your TalkTalk Team

If you have registered your email address in My Account or signed up to TalkTalk Mail Plus in the last 7 days please ignore this email.

It may well be of interest to other members to read the threads and post on this topic in:-

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email-Webmail/bd-p/myemail

Nexster
Wizz Kid

Thanks for pointing out that BT fleece you 50% more than TalkTalk.

At least TalkTalk give you an option to keep your old account going if you want to.

Funny how you don’t mention EE where they didn’t give their customers any choice in old email account such as Orange, Wanadoo and Freeserve as they simply got axed regardless of whether or not you’re still using it.

Like Ferguson says troll on as one day you never know you might actually get good at it. 😉

ferguson
Community Star

@I8this Once again I have removed a post of yours because of a personal slur. In case you really aren't getting the accompanying message it said:  "Try again without the personal comments."

I8this
Enlightened One

Nexter I can only report what I have read on news media sites that maybe other members have not seen. If an article mentions TalkTalk that is not my problem.

Unless I have missed it I do not see any mention of EE in the article.

When I started reading you post I was going to give a `Like` until I read the last sentence.

Nexster
Wizz Kid

Like you I only mention what I have read on sites or the news. I have never been with Freeserve or any of there affiliations and yet I heard about them shutting down old address as it was big news a few years ago. And just to clarify it was a different article which your more than likely never to find as you only post negative things about TalkTalk.

The question is if I could be bothered to ask it which I can’t is why you’re even posting it considering you don’t even have a TalkTalk email address.

You can keep you’re likes I don’t want them. We wouldn’t want you running out of them in case there’s another negative post against TalkTalk for you to like now would we. 😉

I8this
Enlightened One

Quote@:-

The question is if I could be bothered to ask it which I can’t is why you’re even posting it considering you don’t even have a TalkTalk email address.

I don`t know were you got that slur from, I have a paid for TalkTalk Account and both a live TalkTalk.net that I get emails about replies to threads on this forum, but the notifications about my posts being deleted/removed are not arriving in it and a Tiscali.co.uk from before TT took them over email address, this one is shown in one of my posts without my login name.

I have ever right to post articles about TalkTalk the same as any other member or customer be they good or bad. The problem is some people don`t like the truth.

Nexster
Wizz Kid

Your absolutely right they don’t like the truth.

You were looking for a reaction its just the fact you didn’t get the reaction you were expecting and funny enough don’t like it.

Regarding my apparent slur about your email well these are your words not mine.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email-Webmail/being-forced-to-pay-for-my-mailbox/m-p/2432460#M12...

Nexster
Wizz Kid

I see the previous post was removed but I saw it an my apologies I misread the post.

Still doesn’t explain why someone who’s clearly so anti TalkTalk would continue to use their services unless there a massive hypocrite.

ferguson
Community Star

OK, I am locking this thread pending review by the TalkTalk team, I cannot see it furthering anything useful for the benefit of the community and I am fed up of having to remove repeated trolling and personal abuse despite asking otherwise.