cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

2.4GHz dropping out

19 REPLIES 19
Chatterbox

I've had problems with the 2.4ghz network for ages but it has become more noticeable since I purchased several smart devices that connect using this frequency.

I've looked at solutions in this forum and made the following amendment:

From

To

Channel

Auto

11n Bandwidth

20/40Mhz

20Mhz

However this has not made any difference.  I've had 4 instances since 23rd September which have stopped wireless printing and the smart devices from working are only resolved by restarting  the 2.4 network.

Any ideas?

----- I've been to a post-punk, postcard fair.
Chatterbox
Router type: HG633
Hardware version: H.1.01
Software version: v2.00t

Community Star

The choice of WiFi channel to use depends on the level of WiFi interference within your locality, it cannot just be guessed at. I can help a lot with this if you want me to.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Chatterbox

@Keith That would be brill.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, it's annoying the family who can't correct it as I'm working from home and can't simply switch the router off and on. 

Community Star

Hi @McParland57 

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Chatterbox

Thanks @KeithFrench 

Have downloaded the software.  I'm guessing there's not much point in running this until I know there is an issue?  

I have a couple of concerns one is that I might miss the issue happening and once the devices have lost connection they won't reconnect (and i will have not recorded the event) and the other is that the laptop running the software is 6 inches from the router so it may not pick up any interference. 

So any guidance on the above, ahead of the next issue, will be a help.

However, my major worry is that you're going to find out that my wireless network is called ObiWanKenobi.  And I am exceedingly embarrassed by that. 

thanks.

Mac

Community Star

Hi Mac,

I'm sure I will have forgotten what your network name is pretty soon, I deal with a lot of similar issues, the only one I ever remember is my own. It might well be worthwhile getting me a set of screenshots anyway, I might be able to improve it now, so as it does not happen again. Although of course seeing them when it has gone down will make diagnosis more accurate.

Keith

Community Star

Thanks for the screenshots, there is nothing wrong with your WiFi at all from where you measured it with Acrylic. However, is this near the smart devices that are having the problem?

Keith

Chatterbox

I think I will run another test from downstairs, away from the router - which will be closer to most of the devices..

Thanks.

Chatterbox

Hi @KeithFrench 

Problems persist with Network and router; just not had the time to document all the "outages".

Issue seems to effect 5G network too.  Items show themselves as connected but no "Internet connection" - Smart Devices are shown as "not responding" or "offline"

Last couple have required a reboot twice each day

Outage 17th - laptop lost connectivity to internet 5G

Outage 17th - iPad lost connection to WiFi (2.4g)

Outage 19th - home laptop lost connectivity to internet - "No internet, secured" (5G AND 2.4G), 2.4ghz devices also  lost connectivity to internet. Work laptop which is hard wired continued to works ok, however, the webcam during MS Teams meetings stopped working.  On reflection, this has failed just before I noticed the outages previously.  I can't see how they would be connected, and assume that this must be a coincidence. .

Network always seems to come back when I reboot the router.

Is there anything you can advise or should I call TalkTalk?

Any guidance would be appreciated. 

Cheers

Mac

Community Star

Can you get me screenshots from a WiFi analyser such as Acrylic (see my guide for ones that can be used on other OS if required) on one of these devices when the problem occurs?

Keith

Chatterbox

I'm really fed up with having to continually restart the 2.4ghz network.  It's been dropping out once/twice a day now, always at the most in opportune times.

I did finally get to run Acrylic during one of the outages.

Any help would be great @KeithFrench or do you think I should report to TalkTalk.

Community Star

You signal strength varies a bit, but your WiFi is just about perfect. Assuming that this is affecting all of your devices, you could look at the router's location (see below). If that does not improve things, then I will contact TalkTalk on your behalf.

This is the best router location, but obviously, this is not always practical & a compromise has to be reached.

The general rule is to keep it away from:-

1. Cordless phone (DECT) base stations
  2. TVs
  3. Loudspeakers & any sub-woofers (including those used with a PC)
  4. Computer monitors
  5. Electrical appliances – they often transmit their own signals that can interfere with Wi-Fi signals.
  6. Bluetooth devices – they operate on the same Wi-Fi frequency as your broadband, which can cause signal problems.
  7. Mirrors – they actually reflect Wi-Fi signals, stopping them from passing through walls and reflecting them back into the room.
  8. Anything containing large amounts of water – things like fish tanks and boilers can absorb Wi-Fi signals like a sponge.
  9. Large metal objects – radiators, for instance, will have the same effect on your Wi-Fi as mirrors. If you have a tower PC case with an internal WiFi card, the metal of the case can block signals to & from the antennae if they are located behind the tower case.
  10. If you are using a USB Wi-Fi adapter, use a USB socket on the front of the PC, as there is more open space around it than at the rear. If a USB extension cable is used, try to ensure that it is fairly short, so as the power from the computer is not attenuated. Long extension cables can cause the adapter to not have enough power from the computer to work correctly.

As a very general rule, the signal travels best on the same floor as the router and to the floor below. It does not always propagate very well to a floor above the router. However, with more modern routers, if they have a higher specification, they may be able to get the signal upstairs OK, but your ability to receive it also depends on your device's network adapter being of a higher specification, as well as its age.

Where USB is concerned, power management is best disabled if running in Windows to keep a Wi-Fi connection working at full speed. Once having made the changes outlined below, it is probably best to restart the PC.

To do this in Windows 10, right-click on the network icon in the Notification area & select Open Network & Internet settings. Then click on Change adapter options. Next right click on the Wi-Fi adapter & select Properties. Click the Configure button.

Click on the Power Management tab & untick Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Keith

Chatterbox

Thanks for the prompt reply @KeithFrench 

The Router is based upstairs and the only thing in all of your ideas that applies is that it is in close proximity to a monitor.  

It isn't easy to move it and has been in this position for quite some time, before the issues started to be. But I will give it ago and report back.

Many Thanks.

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi McParland57

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Debbie

Chatterbox

Hi Debbie

Well, I've moved the router about a foot further away from the monitor.

Whilst I haven't had to restart the 2.4Ghz network for nearly 48 hours I did have to power cycle the router due to an unrelated problem (the apple devices in this household do seem to lose connection to the 5G network intermittently).  So that may be the reason I've not had a problem with 2.4Ghz.

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi McParland57

Would you like me to send a different router for testing to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Debbie

Chatterbox

Since moving the router I have not seen a 2.4ghz outage, however, moving the router has caused my wife & daughter's ipads and iphones to lose connectivity to the 5ghz.

My daughter has just told me that she has "cleared" this issue by rebooting the router a couple of times - so I don't know if the 2.4ghz issues has been resolved or been cleared by the reboot.  (I have asked her not to do this again without asking me first).

I think I will try setting up my wi-fi extenders before requesting another router.  Do you think this is worth trying?

I may need some help with those! 😉 

Community Star

I can't remember which WiFi extender you are talking about, but if you want to try it, go ahead.

Keith

Chatterbox

Not used them for ages, I got them for my daughter's smart TV that couldn't hold a wifi-signal. I have the TalkTalk D-link DHP-W310AV.