cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

2.4Ghz devices periodically dropping off router

Highlighted
Community Star

As I do not work for TalkTalk, my help is of a different nature to that TT provide, I know you have been asking them to help. I have been trying to find out ever since my first post if you want my help though.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@KeithFrench yes I would love it, another 4 hours on chat and they just changed my wifi band

Rowan Clarke
Highlighted
Community Star

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@KeithFrench thanks so much

Do u know why the router drops the devices and the restarts?

Rowan Clarke
Highlighted
Community Star

If the router actually reboots or loses the broadband the light will no longer be white. The reason currently is not easy to determine as the system log stops responding, This is a bug I passed over to the developers to deal a while back.

However, if devices are just being kicked off the 2.4GHz band that is far more likely to be WiFi interference where I can help.

I did leave you with the OCEs for a while because I was under the impression that the router was unstable, not just this WiFi band.

I think from what you have said in the pst though, sometimes the 2.4GHz band goes down & the light does not go orange?

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@KeithFrench 

Im now always present when the 2.4Ghz goes down, and if i am i dont have the time to watch the lights each and every time.  My nest doorbell notifies me when it goes offline and thats when i know or the lights dont control, streaming stops, wife and kids yell at me etc etc 

Rowan_clarke_0-1601736292928.png

Can you see that or does it have to be an attachment?

Rowan Clarke
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Rowan_clarke_0-1601736399750.png

Rowan Clarke
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Rowan_clarke_0-1601736481772.png

Please note TT selected these frequencies for me, i usually use a wifi analyser to find the best frequency but it seems each time this router reboots it selects another frequency.

Rowan Clarke
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@KeithFrench also note that these screen shots were not taken when the fault was occurring.

if i have my laptop handy i will try to grab this info for you.

Thanks

Rowan Clarke
Highlighted
Community Star

This would seem to go back to WiFi optimisation NOT being disabled if the channels are still changing, unless TT put the channels to Auto rather than Dedicated channel 6. This router, even if WiFi optimisation is disabled regularly checks for interference & hops to a new channel, when set to Auto.

If you can make sure for the time being it is set to a dedicated channel 6 rather than Auto and get a fresh set of screenshots when it goes down as you have offered, that would be great 

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@KeithFrench 

Rowan_clarke_0-1601737656957.png

Currently not on Auto

Rowan Clarke
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi, for a few weeks now our sag com router has been rebooting its self and we've had times when the router won't pick up any wifi stuff in the house, this is our 2nd sag com router its getting bad now twice today my wife's laptop as lost the wifi then I look and mine is off.

my wife is working from home and without wifi, she might be out of work, but TalkTalk not bothered all they want is paying each month, I've said this loads of times when my contract is up we are gone to  virgin, been with TalkTalk 16 years. fed up now

Mike
Highlighted
Community Star

@M0FCG Your router should not be rebooting itself. Start your own topic and we can look into this for you.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Rowan_clarke 

That's great, if you get me a new set of screenshots when it goes down, I will take a look at them.

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@ferguson it looks like @M0FCG is having the same problem as me.

Rowan Clarke
Highlighted
Community Star

@M0FCG Maybe, maybe not, it doesn't matter. You should start your own topic for support otherwise things get confusing. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Rowan_clarke_0-1601740222704.png

Rowan_clarke_1-1601740251905.png

Rowan_clarke_2-1601740277240.png

Rowan_clarke_3-1601740294813.png

@KeithFrench didnt take long to happen again. 2.4 has disappeared

Rowan Clarke
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@KeithFrench 

30 minutes later connection drops

Rowan_clarke_0-1601742281224.png

Rowan_clarke_1-1601742316193.png

and now reconnected and all devices back online.

Im loving this so much.

TT said i can cancel my contract without having to pay anything as this has been going on for so long..........

Rowan Clarke
Highlighted
Community Star

Wish I had a 61/18 meg connection on my line.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

i would drop some speed for a stable connection 🙄

Rowan Clarke