Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

35% slower downlink than on SKy...

29 REPLIES 29
blokexx
Popular Poster

I moved to TT Fibre Broadband a week ago from the equivalent Sky service. I regularly used Speedtest.net to check speed (from a computer on a wired connection so WiFi not a factor) and would consistently get 5Mbps UL and 33Mbps DL at any time of the day/week. The TT hub is connected to the same network and master filter socket as the Sky hub was with the same cables.

I know some time is required to optimise the new connection and my UL is much the same, but DL is ~35% down (i get 21Mbps compared to 33Mbps on Sky). As we are a family of 4 with a lot of concurrent online streaming/gaming I have noticed pauses to buffer in some streaming content such as iPlayer that I never used to get.

Any suggestions on what I should do as I'm aware of the 14 day guarantee on broadband service and won't be staying unless it can be improved closer to an actual 30Mbps of DL speed I used to get on Sky?

martswain
Philosopher

What is guaranteed speed in your contract ?

What is your actual Downstream Line Rate as reported by the router ?

Martin
Community Team

Hi blokexx

Please add your home phone number to your Community Profile so we can check things from this side.

Thanks

Karl. 

blokexx
Popular Poster

The min Min Guaranteed speed is 15 Mbps with typical download speeds of 18 Mbps to 30 Mbps. So whilst 21Mbps exceeds the minimum, given the comparison to Sky it's not good enough. The margin for 4 devices watching HD streaming content at 4-8Mpbs each is too small. The only things that have changed are the hub and the local exchange kit which indicates that the equipment TT use isn't as good as Sky's.

My laptop (hi-spec Dell) is plugged directly into a hub switch port.

Current line status below. So although you won't get the actual throughput specified in the physical connection, thats not even close to the actual throughput I got on Sky. Uplink is Ok as get ~5.5Mbps which is similar to Sky.

Actual Rate [Kbps]Maximum Rate [Kbps]Noise Margin [dB]Attenuation [dB]Power [dBm]

Line 1
DownstreamUpstream
blokexx
Popular Poster

Done. Thx.

BTW: I understand that dynamic line optimisation can take up to 10 days, but 7 days in I haven't seen any change in actual line speed.

martswain
Philosopher

SKY and TT both use BT Openreach equipment to provide the service, neither use their own "kit" anywhere.

They may however use different profiles to ensure stability, that is part of the contract between the provider and Openreach.

Unless TT identify any fault, as you are well above the minimum guaranteed speed, leaving penalty-free is unlikely to be an option.

Martin
Community Team

Hi

Your line is in sync at 25mb.  This is within the estimate for your line of 18-29mb.  This line estimate is provided to us by BT Openreach and realistically, based on their estimate of the line we would not expect the line to achieve more that 30mb.

Thanks

Karl. 

blokexx
Popular Poster

Thx for the clarification on equipment. I Thought that when exchanges were de-bundled they could put their own kit in.

I'm sure somewhere amongst the dozens of emails there was a 14 day happy with the service guarantee, so might have to dig that out.

blokexx
Popular Poster

Ok, so any idea why the actual speed tested is >10Mbps less than with Sky? That's not an insignificant change and can only be to do with change in service. I did a speed test day before swapping over to TT and DL = 33.99Mbps, UL = 5.82Mbps.

Community Team

Hi blokexx,

DLM is still adjusting your speed and moved you to a slightly faster profile in the early hours of this morning. How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have any other devices connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router?

Chris

blokexx
Popular Poster

Hi Chris - the master socket has a filter in it (replaced by Openreach about a year ago when house was being refurbed and rewired) and only has the TT hub connected to its data socket.

The telephone socket has a cordless phone base plugged into it about 1M away + line to the alarm remote dialler maybe 4M away + line to a Sky HD set top box in the living room maybe 7M away. These latter 2 connections were new cables run in during refurb run directly off the back of the master socket by Openreach.

Community Team

OK thanks. Do you know if removing the master socket faceplate disconnects the lines to the sky box and alarm dialer?

Chris

blokexx
Popular Poster

Hello Chris - the master box assembly has a back section, a middle section and a front section (where the integral filter is situated).

1. The incoming telephone line is terminated on the back section.
  2. The cable to the alarm and living room is terminated on the punchdown block of the middle section.
  3. The cable to the study extension where the hub lives (approx 4M away) is on the punchdown block on the front section with the filter. There is no filter at the end of this extension because its already filtered on the master box. There is no phone connected to this bit of extension, just the hub. Originally I had a high quality RJ-11 (expensive!) broadband cable connected form the front socket direct to my Sky hub. when it was replaced with a cable there was no noticeable difference in performance or reliability of broadband. Just so to rule out it being anything to do with the new cabling.

BTW: the master box was installed by Openreach maybe 9 months ago when my home tel line and broadband stopped working. He changed it just because the old one was old, but the fault was actually in an under pavement junction at the front of the house.

Community Team

Hi blokexx

Would it be possible to post a photo of your master socket/set up?

Thanks

Debbie

blokexx
Popular Poster

AtatchedCapture1.JPGBack plate with incoming lineCapture2.JPGmiddle and front plate

Community Team

Hi blokexx

Thanks for your reply.

You should keep the back plate connected to the wall and only remove the front face plate part. 

Would it be possible to connect the phone, router and filter at the test socket for 48hrs to see if DLM starts to increase the sync speed in this set up?

Thanks

Debbie

blokexx
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie - it has been working for >year at the speed it was on Sky and the only things that have changed are:

a) the hub

b) whatever they do at the exchange

Thus I don't see what bearing the internal connections/wiring would have on the speed?!

I am Ok to try, but not sure what you mean connect to the test socket? 

blokexx
Popular Poster

BTW - just noticed that the DL line speed is now cranked up to 29.5Mpbs and I am getting 24Mbps DL now which is a step in the right direction. Does this learning happen automatically or can it be manually accelerated? If I can get to 30Mbps of actual DL then I'll be happy.

Community Team

Hi blokexx,

Unfortunately we can manually reset DLM it would require an engineer visit but if the disconnections and errors remain low then the speed should increase

There's more information about master sockets/test sockets here

Chris

blokexx
Popular Poster

Ok, so maybe I was a bit hasty, but then it was a big performance difference to start with which was alarming! After nearly 2 weeks it's now giving me an actual 31Mbps DL and 5.3Mbps UL which is close enough to my Sky service to be happy. I guess over the next few days it might even go up a little more.🙂

Moral of the story - be patient...