cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

35% slower downlink than on SKy...

Community Team

Hi blokexx,

Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear that the speed has increased.

Thanks

rbaker
Team Player

"SKY and TT both use BT Openreach equipment to provide the service, neither use their own "kit" anywhere."

This isn't true.  BT Openreach are responsible for the line from your house to the cabinet. Once at the cabinet, the equipment and software used is based upon your choice of ISP and their choice of back haul carrier.  Always check what your ISP of choice use as a back haul carrier.  TalkTalk and other suppliers can install their own particular brand or style of broadband, with differing speeds and download limits to those offered by BT using the same hardware that is maintained by BTOR.  Because TalkTalk aren't just re-branding what's available from BT, they can design their own broadband to suit their customers. This often results in faster and cheaper deals and more competition — which greatly benefits consumers.  But it can also be vastly inferior to what you previously had with another supplier.  You get what you pay for in this business.  Sure, if there is fault between you and the box at the end of the road, the fault will still be there when you migrate but when I migrated away from TT, I gained 15Mbps overnight and a perfectly stable connection that never drops.  You could also lose 15Mbps overnight by joining the wrong ISP.  They will spin you a yarn.  Don't accept it.  Leave.

ferguson
Community Star

@rbaker Your comments aren't true either. The fibre connection from cabinet back to the exchange is entirely in the hands of Openreach. Once at the exchange different backhaul equipment is in place, this will largely determine server capabilities. Speed variations between ISPs are likely to be because of different line profiles which they choose Openreach to provide. A variance of as large as 15 Mbps is unlikely to be caused by anything other than a problem, not choice of ISP.

rbaker
Team Player

Not true.  I left TT because after 6 engineer visits and a support system that is not fit for purpose, they were unable to provide the minimum speed promised @68Mbps.  Questions like "do you have a microfilter" even though they fitted a faceplate that made them redundant and "are you using the test socket" over and over.  No records of previous interactions on and on and on.  Sync never above 56Mbps. Scripted and pointless and that is if you can get through.  Just read this forum.  I mean, people still mention the fake 10 day "training" period to get rid of people with speed issues.  Makes my blood boil.  We are talking VDSL, not ADSL.  Anyway, I switched to an alternative provider who still use TT backhaul.  The migration was seamless and as I say, from day one 71Mbps sync @375m.  So as you can see, the software, systems and setups in place for TT residential customers are inferior to those ISPs offering a "real" internet experience on the same backhaul carrier.  Nothing changed with my setup except for the resync and modifcation of passwords etc.  So as you say a big problem....with Talk Talk.

ferguson
Community Star

So still using TT backhaul? That suggests, frustratingly, that your multiple engineer visits simply failed to get to the root of the problem. It happens. But to extrapolate and generalise from your own experience is wrong. 

rbaker
Team Player

You are missing the point.  There were never any issues on the backhaul just as there were no issues with the line.  The issue was simply that TT could not provide a stable service when I was connected to them regardless of how many engineers they sent.  They even tried (and failed) to charge me twice.  When it was stable, it was half the promised speed even though the sync was 55Mbps on profile 17a close to the cabinet and across the road from the exchange.  Still 10Mbps short of the promised sync.  Ever tried explaining what a profile is to TT support or what the word bandwidth means?  I mean when you get told "your line is training still...."  Yaaaawn.  Then "Reboot your pc sir" -  Seriously?, My PC?  My experience is sadly not a generalisation.  It's why TT are where they are.  Yes, you're using the same copper and going through the same DSLAM, but eventually your traffic lands on your ISP's network and is subject specifically to how they manage their network, including any performance gains or bottlenecks that come along with their service...in my case, these results....with same modem, same setup, same everything.  Difference is 15Mbps in sync to 70Mbps with the obviously glorious throughput at ALL times of day and night.  

So unless this changes, customers will continue to complain.

ferguson
Community Star

I think you are missing the point. I genuinely sympathise that you had problems. But your individual issues are not a wider reflection. It is like saying: I bought a car and it broke down after a week. Fair enough, buyer beware. But what happened to me will happen to you? A stretch too far.

rbaker
Team Player

Hi Ferguson,  you genuinely don't get it and I'm ok with that....."But your individual issues are not a wider reflection".......erm ok 😉  No posts on here about dropping internet connections, slow speeds, poor sync, etc....?

"Fair enough, buyer beware"..........I agree but I never said that.  I was commenting on the fact that in this thread when the speed provided by TT is less than went before, it is possible and in fact probable.  I have proved it but in reverse.  Obviously the outcome here was positive but is could easily have sat there within the "dreaded minimum speed"  

"But what happened to me will happen to you? A stretch too far" - Not sure where I said that to be honest.  I pointed out that you could quite easily lose speed as gain it.  I also said that TT will spin garbage.  This is sadly a fact.  I could argue that outrageous comments like "A variance of as large as 15 Mbps is unlikely to be caused by anything other than a problem, not choice of ISP" is one example of this.  You are entitled to your opinion of course but people need to know though that the chances of their problem being "at their end" is just as likely to be a big problem with TT and nothing to do at all with their end at all.  I never signed up to TT by the way, I was forced onto it and gave them every opportunity to resolve the issues.  I went Nildram > Opal > Talk Talk.  I signed up in 2001.  Never moved until this year.  This is how perfect the line is.  As soon as I let TT loose on a VDSL upgrade in 2017 they failed spectacularly as seen on just about every board and media outlet since.  Maybe taking on too much, who knows but I know one thing, unless the support mechanisms of TT learn how to communicate and deal with open reach effectively, they are destined to languish in the lower levels of reputation for good service.  These forums appear to help many though so I congratulate you.  Unfortunately, my Opal origins did not permit me to use it for I am deemed a "business" customer even though I am not one.  Why not change to residential and try again I hear you cry!!! Why that invokes another contract and I'm not that foolish.  Better to migrate away without penalty.

ferguson
Community Star

I think we are at the agree to disagree stage, don't you? 

rbaker
Team Player

I think you are right about that for sure. Good Luck!