Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

3rd party router

11 REPLIES 11
Alienatedcargo
Conversation Starter

Hi, so I've been looking into 3rd party routers recently and have a few options. I  currently have the talktalk wifi hub but it's stats are terrible and the sync speed seems slower that pervious routers I've used on this line.

I currently have an Asus dsl-n16 n300 which is still boxed. It worked great for a week until mucho disconnects it dropped to 10mb so had to swap back. I would have loved to use this though!

I also considered the tp-link vr400 as these seem decent priced on the used market or the netgear d7000 which seem more expensive but good reviews. 

My question is, why did the Asus disconnect and would the tp-link be ok for fibre? I'm quite far from the cabinet so usually see 20mb but currently down to 16mb for the last week after the Asus issues. 

Thanks 

Richard 

KeithFrench
Community Star

You ask an impossible question, why did the Asus disconnect - the reason could be manyfold & without diagnostics is impossible to answer. What I would say is that its specification is well below that of any current TalkTalk router, as it does not support 802.11ac.

With the TP-Link product, does it have a dedicated option for setting up a connection to TalkTalk.

Have you ever investigated the problems you had with the Wi-Fi hub, because if not, any 3rd party router could have the same problems?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Alienatedcargo
Conversation Starter

Hi @KeithFrench

Thanks for your advice. 

The Asus was a hand me down, given from a friend. I pretty much used it to get a better understanding of how the line performs as its only been in since November.and we are some distance from the cabinet. 

I'm not 100% on tp-link link options, only work with cisco kit at work usually. I would need to check that. 

Regarding the issues with the talktalk hub, it's due to the firmware not displaying stats correctly and it seems I'm not the only one with issues. The Asus, although old told me if I was on fastpath or interleave and what the max sync is. The talktalk hub reports the max as less than current sync speed and the SNRM as 0 for down? I did get an update but this doesn't look to have resolved the issues. 

Thanks 

Richard 

KeithFrench
Community Star

I too have a Cisco background. 

The snrm figures are reversed, down is up & up is down. I brought that to the developers attention a while back and it should be fixed soon. I need to have another look at the other stats later today.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Alienatedcargo
Conversation Starter

We've just started with meraki kit on the estate, loving the nice friendly gui. 

Ah, that makes some sense although it raises another question. My SNRM for up currently shows 6. I have an unlocked HG612 in a cupboard that a used for a few days and with g.inp my SNRM on that reduced to 3db and the up stays around 6. I thought the talktalk hub supported g.inp?

Thanks 

KeithFrench
Community Star

Nah Cisco IOS CLI every time.

I am on 40/10 fibre & I can't see anything wrong

Hub actual and Max rates.png

Keith

Alienatedcargo
Conversation Starter

We've a country wide estate so it's nice to check throughput using meraki as we don't have access to the provider managed cisco modems. Some of the locations are very remote also being quarrys and the like! 

I've attached my current stats, apologies its from the mobile interface.Screenshot_20190202-134920_Chrome.jpg

KeithFrench
Community Star

Certainly, the noise margin is around the wrong way as I said & should be sorted soon, not sure why the actual & max should be different on your hub, mine is running the same version.

Keith

Alienatedcargo
Conversation Starter

When I had the Asus and the HG612 in the past I had the following results. Figured the talktalk results should be similar, or at least the max should be higher than the actual. I'm guessing the service is still running on interleaved due to Asus drop outs but no way to tell on the talktalk router. Screenshot_20190124-070400_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190121-220409_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190103-075545_Mobile Telnet.jpg

KeithFrench
Community Star

TalkTalk has no control over fibre DLM, only Openreach do. All profiles are interleaved these days.

Keith

Alienatedcargo
Conversation Starter

Yeah I know that, managed by the local exchange. 

If all are interleaved maybe that's why the Asus had issues as it was reporting both fastpath and interleaved as per the screen shots above? 

KeithFrench
Community Star

Possibly.

Keith