cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

ATTN Community Team - HG633 Bricked ? Post marked as spam !

75 REPLIES
Highlighted
iefbr14
Wizz Kid

I raised a post yesterday because of some problem I was having with the new V2.0 firmware.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/HG633-V2-0-upgrade-big-performance-hit/td-p/2190...

I had no response from any OCE, so I have been doing some more testing and about 20 minutes ago I edited the original post with the results of that testing.

I have now received 2 emails saying my post has been marked as spam.

@OCE_Karl@OCE_Debbie

Community Team

Hi iefbr14

Apologies for the delays.

I can send a replacement router, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

iefbr14
Wizz Kid

Hi @OCE_Debbie

If you could please.

Do you know which firmware level the replecement router would be ?

Community Team

Hi iefbr14

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

I'm not sure which version of firmware will be on the router. Please let us know once the router is connected and we can check this for you.

Thanks

Debbie

iefbr14
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Debbie- hi.

Super fast delivery. The new HG633 has been delivered and installed. Performance is back to the pre-V2.0 level.

The firmware level is currently V1.21t, is that the level where the 192.168.1.1 interface will freeze up ?

If you could try the update again and we will see what happens this time.

Cheers.

Community Team

Hi iefbr14

Thanks for keeping us updated :-)

I've updated the router firmware version, please let us know how the connection compares following this.

Thanks

Debbie

iefbr14
Wizz Kid

Cheers @OCE_Debbie

I've just spent the last hour or so fighting with this HG633, can you make any sense of what is going on ......

Switched my tablet on around 08:00 to check the news etc., - no problems, everything seemed to be accessible (I didn't check the firmware version at this point).

Went down to the shops for my morning paper . When I came back (around 08:30) the router's internet light was flashing alternate red and green. Went onto my pc to see if anything was obvious from there, no connection possible, but when I went back to the route the red/green flashing had stopped, the light was now just out. I power cycled the router. All lights came back green except the internet light which (as before) never illuminated.

So I did a pin reset and everything came back all green, although the internet light seems to take a long time. The router was now showing V2.00t , customised it (SSID's etc) no problems but noticed that things were running slow again (downstream performance down 6 Mbps to 8 Mbps compared to V1.21t), but as before with V2.00t I had "lost" vectoring" on the line.

Vectoring does seem to re-establist sometimes after a reset, so I tried to reset DSL from with the GUI. 20 minutes later and I am still waitng for the internet light to illuminate on the router (everything else went green fairly quickly), but eventually give up and power cycle again - which brings everything back up (but still no vectoring and still running "slow").

I will leave this router connected to see if BTOR's DLM will eventually decide that the line is ok for vectoring. But it look like there may be an "issue" with the GUI management.

Community Team

Hi iefbr14

The line is showing in sync and connected and firmware is still showing as version v2.00t.

Please can you continue to monitor this over the next 24hrs and let us know how you get on?

Thanks

Debbie

iefbr14
Wizz Kid

OK.

But is Friday the 13th a good day to be monitoring for strange, unexplained events ?

Community Team

Hi iefbr14

Oh I didn't realise the date. Probably not the best day to test :-)

Debbie

iefbr14
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Debbie- hi.

Been monitoring this for the last few days and sort of good news and not so good news.

V2.00t has been rock solid with zero outages or hiccups. Any drops in service (yesterday evening and today) have been caused by myself swapping routers to check various options.

The not so good news - my old HG635 on V1.06t firmware and my previous HG633 with V1.21.1t both ran at a max. downstream rate of around 49 Mbps to 50 Mbps. Which because of my package was then restricted down to 39.9 Mbps or 40.0 Mbps (dependant on router). So I was effectively getting the full 40 Mbps of the package I was paying for. These better speeds came after my local fibre cabinet was upgraded to support  Vectoring. Both previous routers recognised that Vectoring was enabled, and this was shown in the router stats "line standard".

The V2.00t (even after 5 days continuous use) fails to recognise Vectoring and as a result my max. speed has been reduced to 42 Mbps with a line rate of 32 Mbps (downstream SNR is 7.6 Db).

V2.00t appears to have lost me approx. 20% of my previously available bandwidth. As I never had any previous problems with my HG633 this loss of performance as a result of "new and improved" firmware is not particulaly welcome.

Has TT any recommendation how I can regain my previous performance levels.

Community Team

Hi iefbr14,

What was the problem with the HG635?

Chris

iefbr14
Wizz Kid

Hi @OCE_Chris

The HG635 seemed to keep "loosing" the DNS's.  Every couple of hours it would become unresponsive to web requests, until I changed the DNS settings. I was regularly circulating round TT, OpenDNS and Google. As soon as the DNS's were changed it was OK again for a couple of hours.

Do you think an upgrade to V1.10t (whilst waiting for V1.14t or whatever) might be useful ?

I currently have the HG633 online (still not recognising vectoring) but can easily swap.

Community Team

Hi

I'll mention the vectoring issue to our devices teams.  If the firmware does not support vectoring then not much we can do about that until a future firmware is released...If you want to try v1.10t for the HG635, connect it up and let me know and I'll update the firmware.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

iefbr14
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Karl

Bit of a shame that. The HG633 with V1.21.1t firmware and vectoring recognised was absolutely flying. I was getting just over 50 Mbps max downstream - I even tried the fibre boost to see what effect it would have. With V2.00t firmware and no vectoring my max is down at around 43 Mbps and only around 32 Mbps line rate.

I have just reconnected the HG635 (V1.06t firmware). Vectoring has been immediately recognised. Max. downstream is still around 43 Mbps but as my downstream SNR has jumped to over 10 dB I would expect that to reflect in better speed pickup over the next few days as DLM adjusts things.

All set for a firmware upgrade when you're able.

Community Team

Hi

Can you check remote management is enabled, I'm unable to see the router online from here.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

iefbr14
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Karl

It is showing as enabled, but I've switched it off and back on again to see if that makes any difference.

Community Team

Hi

Sorry, still not showing up in our database.  This happens with some of the older routers sometimes and it does prevent us from updating it.

Thanks

Karl. 

iefbr14
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Karl

OK - I have pin reset. Will continue to monitor and let you know how it goes.

Community Team

Hi

That's seems to have done the trick, I can now see the router in the database and the update is going ahead now.

Karl.