cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Absolute dusgusting service trying to get a replacement router!

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Team Player

Intermittently Wifi keeps dropping on devices connected by wifi even though you can be stood directly in front of the router with full bars. Only way to resolve is reboot the router or wait and it will eventually come back

When this happens anything connected by ethernet is fine and gets full speed yet nothing on wifi works saying no internet.

First chat with talktalk online asked to try different channels which i tried and same happened no matter what channel

Second time called and they got a bt engineer to check the line which was fine suprise suprise. they advise if all is fine we can get a replacment router

Second chat for nearly 2 hours just took the mic! ignoring what i tell them asking me to do things ive already done and things that aren't relavant.

Felt like they were draggin their heels trying to get me to give up. Its shouldnt take this long and is clear from the diagnosis theres an issue with the router!

Then to top it off they disconnected the chat!

Come on here in the hope someone from talktalk can help as i cant speak to that techincal line anymore!

Highlighted
Community Star

It is far more likely to be WiFi interference, rather than a faulty router, because there is probably too many people trying to use your 2.4GHz band. I can help a lot to prove this for you & if I can't find anything wrong, then I will ask the OCEs to replace the router for you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Team Player

Thanks for the replyand help. I'm more hopeful

Yeah that was my initial thought but like i said I've tried all the other channels on 2.4Ghz

Ive even turned on the 5Ghz and tried that but the exact same thing happens on my iphone and ipad.

When it happens i can stand in front of the router put my phone next to it with full bars of wifi and try to go to google but its either very slow or doesnt work at all and and get no connection message!

It was fine when we first got the broadband but nothing has changed and this has now been happening a few months and is getting increasingly worse

Highlighted
Team Player

Just to add

the router is in the back room and TV in the front room is mounted on the wall.

Now the TV hasnt had a problem until recently it was streaming Netflix, Youtube fine with now problems then last couple of weeks this has now started playing up saying no connection and sat there buffering. If it eventually works we get 0.5Mbps on netflix. Reboot the router and its instantly fine again getting about 5.5Mbps!

Again Nothing has changed or moved and also tested this on different channels and all the same problem

Highlighted
Community Star

I am not taking about changing channels blindly, I am talking about proving what the exact problem is via a WiFi analyser. The problem with the 2.4GHz band it is often totally congested and unusable. This is not the fault of any router or any ISP, it is all down to the popularity of broadband. However, I like to deal in facts, not guesswork.

So if you want my help to prove this, let me know.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Team Player

yes please any help is much appriciated

Highlighted
Community Star

Please see my attached guide on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi daymouse

How are you getting on, have you had a look at Keith's help guide?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Got the software setup on a laptop but it seemed fine last night so will keep trying

Highlighted

Hi daymouse

Thanks for keeping us updated, please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

Highlighted
Community Star

No worries @daymouse just send me the screenshots when it plays up.

Keith

Highlighted
Highlighted
Team Player

I did notice last night that alot of the other routers nearby are on channel 11. Mine is set to auto and it has selected 11 also?

I would of thought it would select a different channel?

Highlighted
Community Star

Without seeing the screenshots I requested, I have no idea on the state of your WiFi networks & therefore cannot comment. If you give me the screenshots I'll willingly have a look for you.

Keith

Highlighted
Team Player
Will do when it happens 🙂
Highlighted
Community Star

I see you also have a TP-Link extender of some sort & that is currently your problem.

It is using 40Mhz channel bandwidth utilising channels 7 & 11. The way this works is that is actually using up channels 5 through to 13, that is 9 channels! This is interfering with the router & is from where you took the screenshots, a higher signal strength than the HG633 or HG635.

In the extender config, set the channel bandwidth to 20MHz only & set it to use channel 6. Set the router to be channel 11 where Auto currently has it & make sure its channel bandwidth is locked to 20MHz only.

It is probably worthwhile getting a fresh set of screenshots then, in case anything alters from making these config changes.

Keith

Highlighted
Team Player
I’ve had a look and I’m unable to change the freq or channel of the extender. Apparently the extender will just use the same channel the router is set to so not sure how that works with your advise. Cheers
Highlighted
Community Star

That is one of the problems with some extenders, they can easily make matters worse.

What is like with the extender turned off?

Keith

Highlighted
Team Player
I turned the extender off and it happened again last night. Sat down to eat tea and put Netflix on but took a while to buffer and Netflix said it had a connection of 0.5Mbps. Rebooted the router and was fine full speed again. Could do a trace as I wanted my tea so will try again next time.
Highlighted

Hi daymouse,

How have you found the connection since your last post?

Thanks