cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

After more than 2 years - Still looking for the reason why my Broadband speed dropped

24 REPLIES 24
Whizz Kid

Hi, had to start a new thread to continue with this issue.

When we first signed up for faster fibre a number of years ago we got 59 mb/s download speeds for pretty much the duration of the contract. When we renewed we noticed the speed had dropped to 41 mb/s.

We tried new routers, new master socket installation etc and talktalk even sent an Open Reach engineer out. This engineers told us that the line speed was showing as 54/ mbs on his equipment. He replaced the phone line and tested again and said that the line speed was showing 54-57 mbs but that the talktalk router was only putting out a maximum of 40 mb/s.

Since then our speed has dropped to 37 mb/s. It doesnt drop further than this as we are "garunteed 36 mb/s".

Having since spoken to a number of IT engineers they say that talktalk "DLM" has obviously been changed to limit the speed or changes were made to the bandwidth settings at the cabinet. These IT professionals say this becomes more obvious when you get an initial sudden drop of 10+ mb/s.

What can talktalk reps do check my DLM settings or have the local Cabinet checked ? 

I know for a fact I can get 59 mb/s top speed so I want this to be finally resolved after X number of years with Talktalk.

Thanks

Whizz Kid
Further research suggests that sometimes a connection’s profile may become stuck at a lower level and may require an open reach engineer to visit the cabinet to manually reset it to return the connection profile to a higher level.

This is one thing I don't believe we have tried.

"Using this approach means that each day an ISP can submit a list of circuits to be reset, which is then applied overnight by Openreach" has this been tried on my account ?

Thanks
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Tez2012

Apologies for the delay.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 40mb.

If you log into My Account does the fibre speed boost show active?

Thanks

Debbie

Whizz Kid

Hi Debbie why is my line synced at 40mb ? technically I should be able to get up to 59 mb/s on faster fibre. which is what I orginally got.

I removed the £5 speed boost because it did nothing.

My contract recently renewed and the line speed has now dropped further to the minimum guaranteed 36 m/s. I am sick of this.Got 59 mb/s day one which is what the engineer said I should be getting and every time we renew the speed gets slower.

Hi Tez2012

To receive speeds over 40mb the fibre speed boost would need to be re added.

Thanks

Debbie

Whizz Kid
Yeah I see they have changed there package details. So why was I getting 40 mb/s and since my contract renewed, it dropped to 36 mb/s ?
How do I go about re-adding fibre boosts as it doesn' show on the account upgrades page.

Thanks

Philosopher

If your MINIMUM GUARANTEED SPEED is not well above 40 Mbps the system will no longer allow the boost to be added.

What is your current sync speed (downstream line rate) and MGALS as reported in Service Center ?

Disregard any speed test results, these are largely irrelevant.

Martin
Whizz Kid

Martin the staff member stated above previously that my connection was synced at 40 mb's

Like I have said I originally got speeds of 59 mb/s

The engineer talktalk sent previously (Openreach) said my line sync was 54 mb/s and that the problem was the router was capping at 40 despite the line speed being 50+.

Philosopher

@Tez2012 

You do not seem to understand, if the MGALS is not well above 40, the TT will no longer sell you the boost.

If you line is in sync at 40, that indicates a line without the boost.

So, again, what is your MGALS as per your contract ?

Martin
Whizz Kid

I don't see the term MGALS but there is a graph that shows "Speed to your router" 40 mb 

No deviation.

I don't think you understand what this thread is about ? Why I originally, a few years ago got 59 mb/s and then over past 2 years (with fibre speed boost) it has continually dropped to a low of 37 mb/s ?

I only removed the speed boost when my contract renewed the other week because my speed had already dropped below 40 mb's and they had not figured out why despite an engineer finding the line speed to be 54+ mb/s.

Whizz Kid

It has dropped by 10 mb's the last two times I have renewed the contract. This time will be last.

Philosopher
Click on "Find out more" in the Speed to your router box, the last 7 days sync speed shows along with a dotted line for your guaranteed speed.
Martin
Whizz Kid
Philosopher

QED

Your minimum is below 40 so TT will no longer offer you the boost, even if in theory your line can go faster.

Martin
Whizz Kid

No shizz sherlock, and this is exactly what I have been trying to find out for the last 2 yrs.

My minimum guaranteed speed used to be 49 mb/s with an actual speed of 59 mb/s. 

It then mysteriously dropped to 40-45 and an Engineer was sent out. The Engy did tests and Engineer confirmed previously when the fibre speed boost was still active that my line speed was reading 54 mb/s but the router was only outputting 40 mb/s.

So for the last contract duration even though I was on Faster Fibre with speed boost I was only getting 41 mb's as if it was capped.

I then renewed the contract again last week (stupidly) I think it was and it has since dropped further to 36 mb's.

Got a new router today as the Huawei 633 was blocking VPN connection so I will test speeds with the new Huawei DG8041w once it up. See if that even gets up to 40.

Hi Tez2012

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so I can check the predicted speed range we have.

Thanks

Debbie

Whizz Kid

Hi what details did you want ? I got your message asking me to send details ? I clicked the link and filled in the information it asked for. Phone number etc.

Thanks

Hi Tez2012

Thanks for confirming your details.

The predicted speed range for your line is showing between 37 and 36mb, with a guaranteed speed of 35mb.

Debbie

Whizz Kid

Thanks Debbie, yet again our speed has dropped. I have run speeds tests including on talktalks website and we are now only getting 31 mb/s.

Clearly there is something very wrong and this is now in breach of contract. Has our connection at the green box been reset as previously asked as I have read on forums that sometimes Open reach have to attend the green cabinet to reset connections when they are stuck on slow speeds.

So we have gone from 59 mb/s at the start of joining talktalk 5 or so years ago down to a low of 31 mb/s. I don't care what speed range is shown when we have had much higher speeds in the past. 

with the fibre speed boost we were on 41 mb/s then after we removed it we dropped to 39 mb/s then 37 and now down to 30-31 mb/s