Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Allow my router to ping

56 REPLIES 56
Highlighted
Team Player

For quite a few months my broadband has been disconnecting randomly for 20-30 seconds. Talktalk had no customer service until this week and I spoke to them yesterday. They did all the line tests and told me that there is nothing wrong. Although I see the disconnections when I use my PC and also on my TV box (saying no network).
I tried using a broadband quality monitor (thinkbroadband.com) to prove how often it happens but it shows 100% packet loss, i.e. my firewall isn't allowing ICMP ping. It was suggested that I need to change my firewall setting on my router (the new black fast-fibre one). I had a look at admin settings but I don't know where to go.

Help, someone please!

Highlighted
Community Star

I don't think you can enable it. It is normally disabled on the WAN to boost the router's security.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Team Player

Then what do you suggest to show when/how often my broadband signal is dropping?

Talktalk customer service claim that I don't have a problem.

Highlighted
Community Star

I was only answering the bit about using ping in that way. If you want help on an unstable connection, then I need more information. Please can you elaborate by answering these few questions:-

1. What make/model of router do you have (if this is a TalkTalk router, these details will be on a label on the rear or underside of it) and what firmware version is it running?
2. What is the exact status of the lights on the front of the router when this happens?
3. If you have any wired connections, are they affected in the same way as wireless ones?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Team Player

It's a Talktalk fast-fibre router/hub, supplied by them in Feb 2020. They thought my issue was a faulty router but the replacement made no difference..

The only identification is a label on the back showing Device Version DG8041W-2.T5 and a bunch of serial numbers & passwords. But no model. The front says Talktalk.

The single white light stays on (solid) throughout.

I only have wireless connections and my TV box is less than 1 metre from the router.

Highlighted
Community Star

Then it is nothing to do with the router or line being unstable, as the light stays white. It is most likely caused by WiFi interference. Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

The Huawei DG8041W TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

Go to:-
Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Advanced Configuration > WLAN > 5G Basic Network Settings

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "SSID" field. Then click "Apply".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Having said that, there is another approach which can be better, which is to use Band Steering. This will automatically move any 5G compatible device connected to the 2.4G band to the 5GHz band. To use this facility on the DG8041W Wi-Fi Hub, leave both network names identical and enable the Band Steering option at:-

Dashboard > See Internet Settings > Manage advanced settings > Advanced Configuration > WLAN > 5G Advanced Network Settings

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

Highlighted
Team Player

Before following the route you suggest, let me give you some back-story.

The issue goes back to Dec 2019. I had an Openreach engineer in my home in January. He replaced my master socket and arranged for a replacement router. I had a Talktalk engineer in my home in Feb and he acknowledged the problem but wasn't able to fix it. Later in February I had a session with a remote engineer(?) via text and he cured the problem. My issue was finally solved. But some 2-3 weeks later the disconnections started happening again.

So it's not interference in my home.

And apparently, once a problem is resolved, Talktalk no longer keep the case history. Remarkable!

Highlighted
Community Star

If the white light is on when your problem happens now, then the link has not gone down. Whilst you have had a previous problem with the line, that is not the current cause of the problem. It does not, therefore, prove that it is not WiFi interference.

To check the line further though, log into the router & look at the dashboard, this will tell you how long the router has been connected. Has it remained connected since before the last time you thought that the broadband went down?

Keith

Highlighted
Team Player

Okay, I THINK the white light stays on when it disconnects, but my PC (where I notice it most) is in another room. (The visiting engineer said that the distance is absolutely fine.)

My router says "Online for 0:10:08 day(s)" and it's definitely been down several times in the last 2 hours. Then a moment later I saw the status change to "Disconnected".

But a few seconds later it showed Connected ..... Online for 0:10:12 day(s)"

Highlighted
Team Player

By the way, I last reset my router 5 or 6 days ago.

Highlighted
Community Star

OK so that is totally different, I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

Due to the current Coronavirus situation, the OCEs are very busy and there will be more of a delay to get a TalkTalk response. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. Please try to avoid posting on here until TalkTalk have responded to you, otherwise, this will just put you further down the queue.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi malcs1,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'm just taking a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the connection looks really stable. Is your connection still unstable at the moment?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Yes, it happens all the time. Rarely I have 30 minutes without a problem.

Only just now I tried logging in to my router and got "This site can’t be reached". A few seconds later it went straight in.

Highlighted

Hi malcs1,

Thanks for confirming. Is this currently happening wired and wireless?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

I only have wireless. My TV box is using 5gHz and is less than 1 metre away from the router. My PC and phone use 2.4gHz. All 3 show the symptoms.

In February, when an engineer visited, he acknowledged the problem but wasn't able to cure it. Later an engineer(?) managed to cure it remotely but the "fix" only remained in place for 2 weeks or so.

Highlighted

Hi malcs1,

Ok thanks for confirming. Have you ever tested with a different make and model of router? If not then we can send a different router to see how the connection compares.

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

I have had this problem since December 2019. During this time I was upgraded to fast-fibre and have had at least 4 routers - all supplied by Talktalk.

Highlighted

Hi malcs1,

Would it be possible to test wired for a short period so we can confirm if this is specifically related to the wireless connection or affecting wired also?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

I don't have a cable long enough to reach from my lounge to my office. I cannot move my PC because of the furniture/connections and I only have one BT socket for the router.

I have noticed that the problem varies from day to day. On Sunday it seemed somewhat better, whereas yesterday was absolutely awful. Every Monday I have to upload a file (approx 150 MB) to a website. It usually takes around 10-20 minutes, but yesterday took over 2 hours.

Highlighted

Hi malcs1,

Apologies again for the delay. I've re-run the line tests again now which are both clear and the sync speed looks good and consistent so it looks like the slow speeds may be related to wireless. Do you have any other devices connected or just the PC? Have you tested one of our wifi hubs?

Thanks