Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Allow my router to ping

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi,

I have my PC, my mobile and TV box on wireless and have problems on all 3, even though the TV box is less than 1 metre away from the router and on 5GHz.

If you think my disconnecting problem is related to wireless, how was one of your engineers able to fix it remotely? (Even though the fix only lasted for a couple of weeks.)

What do you mean by testing a wi-fi hub? Is that any different to what I have?

Highlighted
Team Player

And besides . . . if you read through our conversation, I have even logged into the router dashboard and seen it say Disconnected.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi malcs1

I can only see 1 recent re-connection on the line. This is the wifi hub, I've included a photo below.

Set up your Wi-Fi Hub or Wi-Fi Hub Black

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Yes, that it the router that I have. How do I test it?

And this whole thread started because I wanted to run a Broadband Monitor on my line, but apparently your router doesn't allow pinging.

Highlighted
Team Player

When I had a Talktalk engineer in my home, he acknowledged the problem but thought the issue might be at the exchange.

Highlighted
First Timer

Hi malcs1 I might be having the same issue but with my online games.

this is my thread : https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/TalkTalk-blocking-video-games/m-p/2537465

Unfortunately no solution.

Highlighted

Hi malcs1,

Ok, please can you run a ping and trace route and post the results into the thread and we can ask our Network Team to take a look to see if they can see any issues that could be causing the slow throughput speeds.

Run a Ping or Traceroute

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

I followed your instructions - although I don't think you can copy/paste from a DOS box, so I did PrtScns instead.

Highlighted
Team Player

This is the result of 20 consecutive pings (using a FOR ... DO loop in a batch file)

The results are a little more interesting.

Highlighted

Hi malcs1,

Thanks. I've passed this over to our Network Team now and I'll let you know as soon as I receive an update back.

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello,

It's now nearly 2 weeks and I haven't heard anything.

Highlighted

Hi malcs1

I'm really sorry for the delay.

I've chased for an update and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Still not a word.

Can I remind you that this problem is now 6 months old and was fixed for about 2 weeks during February, but then came back.

If it does not get sorted within a very short time, I will leave Talktalk. I'm sure that Virgin Media can do much better.

Highlighted

Hi malcs1,

Apologies for the delay 

Line test is showing no faults and there's only one reconnection showing in the last 2 weeks, that was on the 14th 

It does show "All local WiFi channels are congested. It is unlikely that a less congested WiFi channel could be configured which would improve performance", when you lose connection on one device are you also unable to access the internet on other devices at the same time?

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi,

Some days are much worse than others. For instance Monday was terrible and I switched the router on and off - but no difference.

My router was set on auto-channel and using Wi-fi Analyser I could see that a lot of other people's devices were using channel 2 (where I was), so about a week ago I changed it to channel 7 and I think it improved slightly.

I only use one device at a time and the dropout is often no more than 20 seconds, so I am not able to check another device.

Also, when I do speed tests, they often show a drop at the start or end of a test - and I could send you some of those that I saved.

Can I tell you again that in February/March 2020 a remote engineer identified and solved my problem - but 2 weeks later it came back. So if he could fix it, then someone else could also fix it.

Highlighted
Community Star

I can't comment without seeing screenshots from the analyser.  You should only use channels 1, 6 or 11.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Team Player

Okay, I have just changed it to channel 11, which seems the least congested end.

I'll see if there's any difference.

I should also mention : when I had a Talktalk engineer here in early February, he could see that there was a problem but had no idea what caused it. He thought that it might be something going on at the exchange.

Highlighted

Hi malcs1,

Thanks for the update and we'll check back in with you on Monday to see if their has been any improvement since making this change.

Thanks

Highlighted

Morning malcs1,

How have you found the connection?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello,

It is a little better, but it's still sometimes stop-start both on my PC and my mobile wi-fi.

Particularly on Mondays, I use my PC for work and I have several files to download, edit and then upload (files around 100-300 Mb). Watching the transfer progress (on a number of sites) I can clearly see the stop-start effect.