Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Amber light - suddenly no internet

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
First Timer

Hi,

so yesterday morning my kids noticed the internet was down - checked router and we have a solid amber light. Reset router and after flashing between white and amber for a while it went back to solid. 
the connection was working fine up to 1am that morning but something has happened to change that in the 8 or so hours following. 
mice contacted TalkTalk who said they’d ran some tests and needed to escalate the fault to the Service Management Case Management team and they’d be in touch within 72 hours. 
My lights, heating, tv services and home security all run via the Fibre connection so it’s a nightmare not having it and I’m really worried now we will be “offline” all throughout the Xmas period. 
has anyone had similar and could recommend things to try?

I've reset the router at least 10 times now and was thinking of trying to find a replacement but not sure why the router would just suddenly stop connecting. 
Any help at all appreciated!

Thanks!

Highlighted
Philosopher

@Rosstel1984  Hi welcome just so u know the oce staff olny work week days not week ends

so please wait for them to reply

please when u turn off ur router leave it off for over 30 mins each time

can u see if ur phone line is working fine as bb comes over that any noise on the line

also does the master socket have a test socket behind the front cover if so try plugging just the router into that with a filter and see if that works.

u do need to finsh off ur profile on here so when the team get back they can find ur account on their side 

A bite of info of Forum:
The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:- Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Hope that help Regards Joe
If so then give me a Kudos ( Click the Thumb up Button)
Highlighted
First Timer

@hosay299 @Thanks for that

I've updated my profile - unfortunately we never use our land line so don’t even have a phone connected - will see if I can find one to test though. 

also, no idea where our master socket is - don’t think the one I’m plugged into has a test socket but will double check that too. 

Just can’t get over how the service would suddenly stop through the night - all devices are connecting to the router over WiFi but there is no internet. 

Couple of people I’ve spoken to on live chat couldn’t tell me anything other than it has been escalated to another team and I need to wait.

Thanks again

Highlighted
Philosopher

@Rosstel1984  yes but that takes time like they can take 2 days to do things so always good to do ur own simple checks so that when oce ask u have ur do some checks u can say yes

the master socket would be the one that is the 1st box from where the line comes in to ur house.

u can google for more info on what box would have a test socket 

could be a simple issue and or a big one somewhere down the line

if u can ask a next door person to borrow there phone as if a issue on the line then it can effect bb full.

also do u have any old routers to try could be a faulty router how long have u had it???

Highlighted
First Timer

Hi

I've had the same problem all day and tried everything.

When you say you reset it,do you mean switched it off and on or that you pressed the actual reset button with something like a paperclip?

Talk talk were no help to me and said it was probably a faulty router but I've just finally seen the reset button and pushed that with a paperclip and now my internet is working again.

Hope this helps you.

Highlighted
First Timer

Thanks @Emmavs80 and @hosay299 for the advice. 

I reset using the button on the back but after flashing amber for a while, then white and amber, it just goes back to solid amber. 

Plugged a phone in and everything sounds fine and I replaced the cable and micro filter as found other ones but made no difference. 

I don’t have another router I can try (found a NowTV one but looks like the settings are locked down for only their network) but I’m going to buy a cheap one tomorrow and try it. 

Hopefully TalkTalk get in touch tomorrow as so far they’ve offered nothing in the way of solutions. We are keeping the kids happy by tethering the TV to our mobile data to watch things 😂

Highlighted
First Timer

So an update on this - have just called TalkTalk (as nobody had got in touch) and spoke to someone in their Service Management team who advised it was an authentication issue and they tried things at their end. After this, they advised they had done a line test and everything looked fine on the line. 
They said I needed an Openreach Engineer and this is arranged for tomorrow morning - although I was read a list of reasons I may be charged £65 if the engineer decides it was my fault - considering this happened without me changing anything I can’t see how that could be the case. 
Hoping this gets resolved tomorrow before Xmas but feels like it could drag on - I’m still tempted to go get a cheap router later and just see if that’s the problem but not sure if I’m wasting my time as the engineer is coming - and apparently I’ll be charged if I cancel the appointment now (even though it was booked after the cutoff point)

Highlighted
Philosopher

:@Rosstel1984 please do not keep posting as each one keeps moving u to the back of the que.

so u should get a reply in 48 hrs depending on work load

if no reply by thurs pm reply back with the work BUMP. as it will move u in the que as u can get missed some times

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi @Rosstel1984

Sorry that you are having problems,

Please let us know how the engineer visit goes. 

Highlighted
Philosopher

@Rosstel1984 Hi any news 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Rosstel1984,

How are you getting on? Has this fault now been resolved?

Thanks