Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Another new router

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Team Player

My broadband stopped working on Sunday. I was told that an engineer would be sent to fix something. The broadband came back on on Monday and on Tuesday I got an SMS saying that the problem was fixed.

On Wednesday the broadband went down again. I was told to switch from the old D-Link router to a new Hub router that I had already been sent. When my son came to visit last night he installed the new router. It made no difference.

After speaking to TalkTalk again today I was told.... that I needed a new router. This one is apparently a "black Hub" although the current one looks quite black to me. When I asked the model number I was told DG503. I can't find any link to that online.

Is it at all likely that the two routers I have are now incompatible with the signal and that this new thing will fix it? I have zero confidence that it will make any difference at all.

Highlighted
Community Star

Staff are unlikely to reply before Monday,  @scfenton.

Try following this up through Chat. You can reach them via links on the forum home page where there's an update notice in bold blue type. Click on that to see further options. 

Gliwmaeden2
Highlighted
Community Star

ADG503 is a SWR meter according to google search

There is a DGN3500 wireless router by Netgear on the web

The present and latest Router from TT is DG8041W

Highlighted
Team Player
Yes, I can't see a router called a DG503. But I suppose I have no choice now but to wait for this magical router - which is apparently able to provide an internet signal that the two current routers I have can no longer handle - to turn up.

Then when that also doesn't work I will have to go back to these people to ask why they are wasting my time like this, and tell them to sort it out properly. I wonder what the real problem is (apart from mediocre customer service).
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi scfenton,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Do you have a dial tone? Has the replacement router arrived?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Well yes, the new router has arrived. And its magical properties are already evident because at almost exactly the same time - and quite possible simultaneously with your line check - router number two came to life and I now have a broadband connection.

So why was I told that I needed this third router? It was obvious to me that this was stupid advice given that I had two routers already.

So what am I supposed to do next time the connection drops for a few days? Is there a fourth router I can be sent, to waste more time in the hope that it just mends itself? I am 75 and rely on my son to make hardware changes like this, and I can't guarantee that he will be visiting for a few weeks.

I'd like to know: what exactly was the real issue please?

Highlighted

Hi scfenton

Apologies for this.

If the connection continues to drop with 2 different routers at the test socket then the next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Well I got a couple of days out of it before it gave up again.

Perhaps TalkTalk now accept there's a real problem here. An engineer is visiting on Monday. Of course I expect that it will start working in time for that visit and he will shrug his shoulders and disappear.

Highlighted

Hi scfenton,

I'm sorry to hear this and please let us know how you get on following the engineer visit.

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Monday: engineer reported that the fibre in the cabinet is damaged. He couldn't;t repair it but someone would the next day. If it wasn't working on Wednesday morning, ring immediately to complain.

This morning: not working. Rang to complain. Was told that engineers were working on the cabinet right now. Walked round to cabinet to have a look. No-one there. Rang back to complain, again. Waiting to see if anything happens this afternoon.

etc etc etc .

Highlighted
Team Player

Not working. Rang tonight but gave the wrong answer to the security question. I was told they couldn't let me have another go or ask another question due to Data Protection, and it was suggested that I ring back and try again. Couldn't be bothered. 

Highlighted
Team Player

Rang today around 1pm. Was told broadband would be on in 2-3 hours.

Rang again at 4pm. Was told broadband would be on by 4pm tomorrow.

Is it company policy to lie to customers, or are they just incompetent?

Highlighted
Team Player

So, today I called around 1pm to remind them of the promise that the broadband would be on by 4pm. I was assured it would be.

Rang back around 4.30pm to ask why it wasn't. I was told an engineer had been trying to call me, which is a lie as I checked my phone and mobile. Time for some more checks on the line, and I was told they would call straight back afterwards. After an hour I gave up and rang up again, and was asked to turn on my computer to report the error message it showed, a completely pointless task while the router sits there blinking red.

The line check was "inconclusive". I wonder what happened to the fibre cable fault from Monday.

Now my case has been "escalated" again. Must be sky high by now. Apparently someone will contact me within 72 hours. No hurry.

Literally the worst company I have ever dealt with. I expect it will probably blink back on for a day or two at some point and the case will quickly be closed without anyone addressing the underlying fault.

Highlighted
Community Star

I can understand your frustration, but if there is an issue at the cabinet then TalkTalk are wholly reliant on Openreach to fix the problem. And they are way behind at the moment due to current circumstances. None of this is likely to be immediately apparent if you contact customer services directly. I can only suggest you remain patient, the team here are aware of the problem and will continue to follow it up for you. 

Highlighted

Hi scfenton

Apologies for the delay.

I can see that this fault is still with Openreach. I have requested an update on this fault and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello Debbie, thanks, please let me know if you ever get an update.

As a reminder to Openreach, this is a recurrent intermittent problem. I will not tolerate the issue being closed if it manages to spark back into life for a couple of days.

I also note the comment that there's no point talking to customer services because they don't know what is going on.

Highlighted
Team Player

Have we heard anything yet?

Highlighted

Hi scfenton

Our Network Team have advised that they contacted you on Monday evening to provide an update on the fault. Did you speak to our Network Team?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello, yes I spoke to a helpful gentleman who told me there was a major problem at the exchange that would be fixed by Friday. I was curious to see whether you would be told the same thing by Openreach.

I guess that magic router number 3 won't fix that. 

Highlighted

Hi scfenton

Our Network Team advised that further updates should be available on 31/07 from Openreach.

Thanks

Debbie