cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Any Uploads/Downloads limits with Faster Fibre?

15 REPLIES 15
benny55
Wizz Kid

I know it’s supposed to be unlimited and to date I have never had any demands that would place any great stress on the system. However, I am about to install a Nest Video door bell and notice it's spec states it could use 150 GB to 600 GB of upload bandwidth per month depending on the video quality setting.  

Will my Faster Fibre package cope with this level of activity?

Benny

ferguson
Community Star

Where can you see that? A link would be helpful.

benny55
Wizz Kid

Thank you for your response to my post.

The requirement is contained within the the 'Bandwith Requirements' of this link;

https://nest.com/uk/doorbell/nest-hello/tech-specs/

Benny.

ferguson
Community Star

Cool, ta. And wow. I generally don't download much more than that and I thought I was busy! I have never seen uploading raised as an issue, other than the way in which it may interfere with your own broadband performance downstream. I have flagged this up to the support team, let's see what they have to say.

benny55
Wizz Kid

Really appreciate your input.

Benny.

Community Team

Hi Benny,

I've not seen any other posts specifically mentioning this. Has this been installed yet or are you waiting for us to respond first?

Thanks

benny55
Wizz Kid

No. Not installed, just reading the installation instructions. I need to know if my line capacity will support this level of streaming activity.

Benny.

Community Team

Hi Benny,

If your fibre speeds are good then I don't think it would cause any issues. One of my family members has a ring doorbell and they don't have any issues with speed and performance.

Thanks

benny55
Wizz Kid

Thanks for your prompt response.

My speeds are supposed to be 40/10Mbps wireless closer to 32/9.

As for the comparison between the Ring and the Nest products; there is a significant difference in that the Ring will only transmit data when activity is detected whereas the Nest transmits to the Cloud 24/7 and hence the projected high Data levels.

Benny.

Community Team

Hi,

Ok, thanks for letting me know. I can't see that there would be an issue, however it may be worth speaking directly to Nest to see if they have any advice.

Thanks

Birchcroft
Wise Owl

Given the figures you have quoted at 600GB a month you would expect an upload rate of ~18.7Mb/s ie around twice your current upload rate.  At 150GB a month you would need an upload rate of ~4.7Mb/s ie about 1/2 your current rate.  So providing you are not uploading lots of other data you should be ok if you stick with a low resolution upload.  The only other issue is whether or not you would fall foul of a "fair usage" policy, which given what I can find on the internet and what has been said here would seem unlikely.

benny55
Wizz Kid

@Birchcroft wrote:

Given the figures you have quoted at 600GB a month you would expect an upload rate of ~18.7Mb/s ie around twice your current upload rate.  At 150GB a month you would need an upload rate of ~4.7Mb/s ie about 1/2 your current rate.  So providing you are not uploading lots of other data you should be ok if you stick with a low resolution upload.  The only other issue is whether or not you would fall foul of a "fair usage" policy, which given what I can find on the internet and what has been said here would seem unlikely.

Thank you Birchcroft, that's most helpful.

It would be useful if someone from the TT Community Team would confirm your last sentence above regarding "fair usage" policy.

Benny.

Birchcroft
Wise Owl
If you click on the "internet" link in my previous post you will see what TalkTalk publicly state re traffic management. But as you say it would be good to get a specific confirmation here as in essence that's what you asked in the first place.
Community Team

Hi Benny,

I wouldn't worry about fair usage as the amount of bandwidth used will most likely be very small. The ring doorbell previously mentioned, tracks all movement and uploads to the cloud, allows realtime monitoring via the web and doesn't use much.

Thanks

benny55
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Michelle wrote:

Hi Benny,

I wouldn't worry about fair usage as the amount of bandwidth used will most likely be very small. The ring doorbell previously mentioned, tracks all movement and uploads to the cloud, allows realtime monitoring via the web and doesn't use much.

Thanks

Thanks Michelle,

So I can accept the above as reassurance that my current internet package will support the proposed additional levels of account activity (addition of Nest hello video doorbell) without detriment to the systems performance.

Thanks,

Benny.

Community Team

Hi Benny,

Fair usage won't be affected. In terms of performance, I think it should be ok, however as I've never tested this myself or know anybody who currently has this then I wouldn't be able to 100% guarantee that this wouldn't impact the speed or performance. I've also not seen anyone post specifically about this to say that they have experienced any issues.

If you had a 2mb connection then you may experience issues but with your speeds it should be fine. I'm sorry that am not able to provide any further guarantees, any decision to purchase this 3rd party camera would be your own.

Thanks