cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Assistance require to resolve ongoing fault

17 REPLIES
Highlighted
Kettle
Wizz Kid

Hello,

Please can someone intervene to expedite my ongoing latest fault:

Following from my last issue being resolved, barely a fortnight passed without another connection problem:

Last Sunday the phone line went down and the Internet only connected at about 2Mbps rather than my usal 14Mbps.

I reported it to your phone support line and they confirmed that was a fault and that they'd aim to get it resolved in 72 hours.

Since then I understand that BTOR have been working to resolve the issue and the phone line is back up, however Internet is only connecting at about 2Mbps.

I've had to chase progress by phoning tech support.  I last did this yesterday and it was acknowledged that my Internet connection was still slow.  I was asked to try an alternative router, so I said I'd dig the HG633 out of the loft and try it instead of my HG635.  Your support guy said he'd call me back in a couple of hours to see what difference the HG633 made, but that was 24 hours ago. 

The HG633 connects at the same 2Mbps as the HG635, so I'm sure the issue is still with the exterior line.

I'm now going away for a week, and I will not be able to chase progress.

Please can someone help to resolve this issue? 

Thanks in advance.

Community Team

Hi Kettle

I'm sorry to hear this.

We've received the following update from BT Openreach this morning:

BT Openreach have advised that an engineer has been dispatched to continue their investigations. We will pass on any further information as it becomes available.

Please post back on this thread later this afternoon and we can check for further updates.

Thanks

Debbie

Kettle
Wizz Kid

Hello again,

As mentioned in my initial post I've been away for a week.  I've returned today to find that the router's still only connecting at about 2.5Mbps with download speeds to match...so unfortunately my problems are still present.

I did have call from a BTOR engineer whilst I was away asking if he could carry out some tests from my home, when I said I was away he said it wouldn't be a problem.  Evidentally my case has been worked on, but it's still not been resolved.

I'm really hoping this gets resolved soon, the Internet is pretty much unusable for all but the most basic functions.

Kettle
Wizz Kid

I've since had a couple of calls from your fault management team, they ran some tests again and acknowledged that a fault is still present and I now have a BTOR engineer booked for Wednesday morning.

I'm hoping this will result in a solution.

Community Team

Hi Kettle,

I'm sorry for the delay. Thanks for the update and let us know how the connection compares following the engineer visit.

Thanks

Kettle
Wizz Kid

Hello,

Just to report back the BTOR engineer came and tested the line, he could find no physical fault but found that the fibre connection had got stuck at a low speed since the phone line went down and needed to be reset at the exchange.  Once he sorted that the connection came back up at 14Mb, it's dropped a little overnight, but for now it's pretty much where it should be.

Fingers crossed it will remain stable.

Community Team

Hi Kettle,

I'm glad to hear this and hopefully the speeds will now remain consistent :) Please let us know how the connection compares over the next 48hrs :)

Thanks

Kettle
Wizz Kid

Hello again,

I'm sorry, I thought I'd replied to the thread to let you know that everything was appearing stable 48hrs later.

Everything has been generally OK for the last week or so but, I have noticed reasonably regular disconnections / reconnections with the exchange, always returning at 14~15Mbps, I assumed that this was part of the automatic line management.  However today in particular I've noticed that these disconnections are occuring frequently - I've had several over the last couple of hours and each time it takes about 5 minutes to reconnect.  Again it returns at 14~15Mbps but the drop-outs are so frequent that I'm feel that something isn't as it should be.

Would it be possible to check the line please?

Community Team

Hi Kettle,

The line test is passing but I can see that there have been lots of retrains over the last few days so I've raised this to our network team for further investigation. Can you bump the thread in 48 hours and we'll check for updates 

Thanks

Chris

Kettle
Wizz Kid

Thanks Chris,

Can you give me an update please?  At this end I've been getting reasonably regular disconnections but it's not been as fequent as it was a few days ago.

Community Team

Hi Kettle,

The network team have confirmed that they can't find any problems on the network and I can see from your connection stats that, as you've confirmed, the number of disconnection has decreased.

Can you bump the thread in 48 hours and I'll check your connection stats again, if the number of disconnections doesn't reduce further then I'll ask our network team to take another look.

Chris

Kettle
Wizz Kid

Hello again,

Sorry, I didn't follow up on this as things went very busy at my end and generally the connection seemed to be staying up longer than it was when I reported the issue.

That said, these last few days the drops are getting more frequent again, so I'd like to raise it for investigation again please.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi Kettle

Apologies for this.

I've raised this fault back to our Network Team for investigation. The line test is showing a possible fault.

Please post back on this thread in 24hrs and we can check for further updates.

Thanks

Debbie

Kettle
Wizz Kid

Thanks for confirming....any news?

Community Team

Hi Kettle,

There was an update last night saying that Openreach had cleared the fault and want you to retest. Can you please let us know if there's any improvement

Chris

Kettle
Wizz Kid

Thanks Chris,

I've been working at my computer all day today and have noticed two disconnects, which is still more than I would expect, so I wouldn't say that it has been resolved.  I'm working from home for the next couple of days so I should be able to keep tabs on it, I'll report back then.

Community Team

Hi Kettle,

Thanks for the update, I can see that your connection is still dropping so I've passed this back to our network team for further investigation. Can you bump the thread tomorrow and we'll check for updates

Thanks
Chris

Kettle
Wizz Kid

Hello again,

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been extremely busy.

I'm still experiencing regular disconnects / reconnects (I've had 2 so far this morning)...and most frustraingly it takes about 5 minutes to reconnect each time it drops out.

Please can you look into it again.

Thanks in advance