would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Asus DSL-AC68U talktalk fibre

22 REPLIES 22
Alienatedcargo
Conversation Starter

Hi,

So I picked up an Asus router recently and decided to install it today. I factory reset it and set up with Auto IP via DHCP to talktalk connection and it seems to connect to the network but isn't picking up an address from DHCP? I've attached some screenshots. I'm on a long vectored line. The ASUS does seem to report a better speed and much better max that the Talktalk hub and better stats reporting also. I've seen some other threads on here not nothing that has answered my question.

Things tried:

Auto DHCP from ISP

PPPoE with landline@talktalk.net and 123456789 as password (as I had to put something in)

Clone the MAC from talktalk hub

left it on for 30 minutes 

Am I doing something wrong? 

Thanks

Richard

Birchcroft
Wise Owl
I believe you need to use MPoA rather than PPPoE
Divsec
Community Star

Hi Richard try MPoA and IP automatically.

Good luck

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
Alienatedcargo
Conversation Starter
Hi,

I don't have that option. Under VDSL WAN PTM I have auto IP, static IP or PPPoE. Using Auto IP I cannot see any reference to MPoA?

Thanks

Richard
Divsec
Community Star
Hi Richard, Try static IP?
Alienatedcargo
Conversation Starter
Hi, no MPoA options in the static IP settings.

Thanks for your help so far.
Alienatedcargo
Conversation Starter
It looks like it needs a firmware upgrade to resolve some G.Vectoring and G.inp errors. I'll give it a try tomorrow and report back.

Thanks
Divsec
Community Star

Hi Richard, have a look around for the Merlin wrt firmware, it is even more comprehensive than the asus

Divsec
Community Star

Here's a link 

https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca

Alienatedcargo
Conversation Starter
Thanks Divsec, I'll take a look at that. The Asus firmware seems a lot more comprehensive than the TT hub 🙂
Birchcroft
Wise Owl

I've just checked the details of my MPoA settings for the VDSL connection, they are:

Multi-PVC Channel:  Channel 2

Encapsulation:  1483 Bridged IP LLC

VPI 0

VCI 38

Modulation:. Multimode

The MTU is 1500

Hope this helps

Alienatedcargo
Conversation Starter
Thanks birchcroft, I may be able to add manually with those details. I'll let you know how I get on.
martswain
Philosopher

You do not need to clone the MAC address.

Authentication is done by your line ID, not the TT supplied equipment.

TT do not require a password, you can put anything in.

Martin
Birchcroft
Wise Owl

No Problem.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the VLAN Tag Value is set to 101

Alienatedcargo
Conversation Starter
Martswain, I thought so. Never had to put anything in before. Thanks

Birchcroft, seems that the firmware upgrade worked. It connected straight away and very quickly.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Ultrabenosaurus
First Timer

@Birchcroft @Divsec sorry to resurrect the thread but I'm really struggling with my DSL-AC68U.

I don't have PPPoA or MPoA options for VDSL, but there is a PPPoA option for ADSL. I can't see a "Multi-PVC Channel" or "1483 Bridged IP LLC" option anywhere. It won't let me enter an MTU above 1492. If I do try ADSL PPPoA, I can't enter the VLAN ID of 101. I've tried VC-Mux and LLC encapsulation. It's running firmware 3.0.0.4.384_56087 and fails when I try to flash the latest stable ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U_384.10_2.trx (the SHA256 checks out, so the file should be fine).

It won't let me leave the password field blank, which most forum threads say you should, so I called TalkTalk and got a 10 character all-caps hexadecimal password but using that doesn't work either. I've tried with the QIS default options for TalkTalk VDSL, I've tried the settings suggested in this thread, and the settings on the official TalkTalk 3rd party router help page - both as VDSL and ADSL WAN profiles. The DSL icon in the top-right of the admin screen is solid green and says "Link up" but I never get an actual Internet connection.

When I plug the TalkTalk router (Huawei HG633) back in, it boots up and connects immediately.

Honestly, I'm on the verge of returning this to Curry's as faulty and trying a different brand. There are loads of threads about people struggling to set up other routers, but everyone seems to get it resolved after a simple tweak to the VCI or MTU and none of it is working for me. I want to cry.

Birchcroft
Wise Owl

I've not read it but have you looked at this thread on the ASUS support site?  From the title it looks as if it should be of help to you.

Ultrabenosaurus
First Timer
I don't have IPTV, just normal broadband.
Alienatedcargo
Conversation Starter
Hi, for what its worth I ended up returning mine. I've heard the dsl chipset in them is rubbish.

I had issues with mine. It dropped out after a few days and went to 14.5mb down and swapped to interleaved. It wouldn't stay connected for more then a few mins.

I'm awaiting delivery of a ZyXEL with broadcom chipset. Seems better for longer lines like mine.

Thanks
Birchcroft
Wise Owl
Hope all goes well with the ZyXEL