Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Asus RT-AC86U & TT Fibre

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
First Timer

Hello, 

I’ve just moved house and left behind Virgin in London and got TT Fibre in the sticks. 

I use an Asus RT-AC86U router, which I want to connect to TT Fibre. 

What’s the best way to do this? 

I note that TT Router has no bridge or modem only mode. Do I need to buy a stand alone modem and if so, which works (best) with TT fibre? 

I also note that running a Ethernet cable from LAN port 1 to the Asus WAN port doesn’t work. 

Any help much appreciated! 

JM

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @ghhostrider try simply taking an Ethernet connection from the TT modem to the Asus, worked for me.

You might then disable the WiFi on the TT router, if you wished.

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Doesn't the RT-AC86U work by direct connection? 

It's advertised as working with TT fibre, I was just about to but one as the TT router isn't great. 

Highlighted
Wise Owl

@wpa_2  I may have misunderstood what you are asking but the RT-AC86U is a router only. The DSL-AC86U is a modem & router in one.

Fritz

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @wpa_2 I think you will find the AC86U is only a router not a modem router. Check the back of the device in their artwork wan in blue 4 X LAN

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Wise Owl

@ghhostrider Its been a long day and the brain's a bit fuzzy but here's what I'd do.

If you use the TT router then give the Asus unit a static IP address and connect LAN to LAN and as @Divsec said you probably want to disable wifi on the TT router. You'll be double NAT but that isn't necessarily a problem but I'd then change the DHCP IP range on the Asus...the 3rd set of numbers so 192.168.anything other than 1.xxx-xxx. Everything will need to connect to the Asus unit or they won't talk to each other.

You could also give the Asus unit a static IP and then put it in the DMZ on the TT router. That might be the better option but it means that the Asus unit is doing the firewall stuff. Again I'd change the DHCP IP pool on the Asus unit and connect everything to the Asus router not the TT unit..

The ideal solution is to get a modem only unit (or a combined unit that can be put into bridge mode) as that will avoid the double NAT. Sorry I don't know what modem is best but in this case you just need to set the Asus router up as Automatic IP and connect the modem to the Asus WAN port. 

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong... as i said its been a long day.

Fritz

EDIT: Sorry not LAN to LAN, LAN to WAN

Highlighted
Participant

OP,

Something like a Openreach HG612 (very cheap on ebay) or Draytek 130 VDSL modem would work perfectly with your Asus RT-AC86U standalone router.

TalkTalk Business Full Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200
Highlighted
Wise Owl

The Draytek is an awesome bit of kit if you have the £'s.

Fritz