Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Awful internet speed

24 REPLIES 24
Dormster
Popular Poster

I've just joined this thread because of our awful internet speed. I phoned the tech guys a week ago because of it and was told there was nothing they could do because of ongoing updates and they didn't know when it would improve. They sent the latest router which if anything made it worse. When I renewed my contract recently I was told I would get 39-40MBPS with minimum 35MBPS. It has been 25-26 MBPS for the last week and by the time all the wretched new ads have downloaded I'm usually timed out.

Am I right in thinking that if I don't get the download speed promised I can cancel my contract?

Dormster
ferguson
Community Star

@Dormster You should start your own topic so that the support team can look into your issue on an individual basis. 

Dormster
Popular Poster

It's just taken 2 minutes to post this because of the slow speed!!

Dormster
ferguson
Community Star

OK, bear with me and I'll move it for you.

Dormster
Popular Poster

Can I repost this as my own?

Dormster
Dormster
Popular Poster

Thanks

Dormster
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Dormster,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your service. if you'd like us to look into this for you,

can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated our profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Chris

Dormster
Popular Poster

updated

Dormster
Community Team

Thanks for updating your proifle.

Your router is in sync at 40Mbps, are you seeing the slow speeds on devices connected to your router by Ethernet cable or wifi?

Chris

Dormster
Popular Poster

Currently getting 25.7Mbps with ethernet cable as checked with Talktalk tt.care

Dormster
Community Team

OK thanks. Did you have any other devices connected to the internet when you ran the speed test?

Chris

Dormster
Popular Poster

Just a kindle, bur the speed was the same with nothing else connected.

Dormster
Community Team

OK thanks. Would you like me to update your router firmware, don't know if it will improve your speed but I think it's worth a try?

Chris

Dormster
Popular Poster

OK Chris, do you think Talktalk updates are a contributing factor?

Dormster
Community Team

Hi Dormster,

Could I just confirm, have you ever tried switching the router off for a full 30 minutes and then retested the speed again? If the sync speed looks ok, however the throughput speed is much lower then we usually advise trying this as this will reset the current session and can often improve the throughput speeds.

Thanks

Dormster
Popular Poster

Hi Michelle,

Yes we've turned the router off for long periods but no difference in speed.

Dormster
Community Team

Hi Dormster,

Thanks for letting me know. I can see from your first post that you've tested with an alternative router. Could you run a wired ping and trace route and post the results into the thread.

Run a Ping or Traceroute

Do you get the same speeds on 2 different devices?

Thanks

Dormster
Popular Poster

Ping test on new router came back as 11ms.

Dormster
Community Team

Hi Dormster,

Is the speed still slow? Could you post the ping and trace routes into the thread.

Thanks

Dormster
Popular Poster

I've put the ping test results 11ms and done the trace routes but can you tell me how to post it into the thread please.

I've also had a phone call from Talktalk [I'm hoping it was genuine] asking me to e-mail three speed test results to [address removed] - do you recognise this proceedure?

They have also given me a phone no. 03451720088

Dormster