Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Back in the Community

23 REPLIES 23
ABC24016708
Conversation Starter

I haven't been here for quite a while but I feel the need again. My Fast Fibre speed is currently 8.5/9.0 which is woeful. I have been through all the tests and checks suggested but it has made no difference. I have even connected a different router at the mail phone socket where it enters the house and I get the same result. As I can't get to talk to anyone at Talktalk, what do I do now?

I am really fed up with paying for the speed and not getting it and what I do get is at best intermittent. I wonder if you wonderful people within the Community can help me back to a healthy system?

Hopefully

Andy 

Divsec
Community Star

Hi Andy, flattery will get you somewhere. Your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear shortly. What sync speed do you see in the router stats, and if it is a lot higher than what you report have you tried a 30 minute reset?

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
ABC24016708
Conversation Starter

Hi Divsec, thanks for that. How do I see the sync rate for my router?

Cheers

Andy

Divsec
Community Star

Hi Andy depending on your router Set up your HG633 Super Router or Set up your D-Link 3782 Super Router you should find it following these links

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
Community Team

Hi Andy

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 8.8mb. There are a high number of re connections showing on the line which can affect the sync speed.

Is the connection dropping or has the router been rebooted? Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

ABC24016708
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie, thanks for getting in touch. I agree that I am getting between 8.5 and 9.0 but I was promised 35 to 40? I know that maybe more than I can  hope for but I would at least expect to be getting at least half; which is what I am paying for.

Not sure what you mean by "Is the connection dropping?" I keep losing the internet and seem to get a lot of buffering. I have disconnected from the test socket as I was getting exactly the same reading in the study and on a different router.

Cheers

Andy

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Andy,

I'm sorry for the delay. Was the connection also intermittent when the router was connected at the test socket? Would it be possible to re-connect the router back at the test socket so we can see how the stability compares?

As the stability can affect the broadband speed then we would need to resolve this first.

Thanks

ABC24016708
Conversation Starter

My turn for apologies, I have been away for a couple of days.

I didn't have the other router connected for long as I was only really checking the speed.

It wouldn't be easy to connect the PC to the test socket as they are at different ends of the house and the PC is connected to it's router by cable.

I have read that an ISP can "turn down" the connection/speed? could that be the answer? if so, why am I paying for the speed when I cannot get it?

As you can probably tell I am not very tech savvy. I really would like to get the speed I was expecting but I don't know how.

What do I do next please

Andy

Community Team

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the update. We can't manually make changes to the speed as this is managed by DLM. If the connection remains stable then DLM should start to increase the sync speed. Is the router currently connected to an extension socket? How long was the alternative router also connected for?

Thanks

ABC24016708
Conversation Starter

Hi again Michelle, the router is connected to wired extension in my study.

The system has not been changed as far as the wiring and positioning of all the components for getting on for 20 years. I did have a new updated phone socket fitted by BT a couple of years ago, prior to having the fibre. Really, the only change has been the router.

I don't remember what speed I was getting when it was first fitted (the router) but I do remember being quite pleased with the speed increase.

The other router connected directly to the main phone socket was only there for about 15 minutes when I confirmed that the two routers were giving the same speed (8.5/9.0)

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Andy

Community Team

Hi Andy,

Your line profile is limiting your speed so moving the router to the test socket won't result in an immediate speed increase, it would need to be left there for at least 48 hours to allow DLM to monitor and respond to any improvement in stability/error count

Chris

ABC24016708
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris, I really appreciate the help I am being given by people that know what they are talking about.

I have done as suggested and connected another router to the main phone socket and have left is for a couple of days. I have not seen any increase in speed and have now reconnected to my main router to enable me to get back on the internet with my PC. If anything, there is a very small drop in the speed (7.49 Down and 5.99 Up). If you think it would be worth it, I can reconnect the alternative router and manage with only being able to connect to the internet with my tablet although that is less than ideal as I really don't want to have to make all the adjustments to my CCTV system etc.

Looking forward to hearing your advice.

Andy

Community Team

Hi Andy,

Yes, if possible could you test with the second router just to rule out any issues with the current router. If there's no improvement we'll log this over to our network team for further investigation 

Thanks

Chris

ABC24016708
Conversation Starter

Good morning Chris,

Just so I am clear on what is required, I had the alternative router connected for just over 48 hours direct to the phone socket where it enters the house and got exactly the same speed results as I get with my main router which is wired through the house to my study.

What are you asking me to test? 

Regards

Andy

Community Team

Hi Andy,

Would it be possible to leave the second router connected to the test socket for 48 hours? 

Chris

ABC24016708
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris, I have had the alternative router connected for further 48 hours with no sign of any change. As my home phone and CCTV is out of action while I am using this router, I would be really grateful if you could start to do whatever you think is going to improve the situation.

Regards

Andy

Community Team

Hi Andy

Apologies for this.

The line test is detecting a possible fault. Can I just check if your landline service is working ok when making calls?

Thanks

Debbie

ABC24016708
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie, Not sure what happened there; I did answer you but didn't hear back.

I have been busy with a family wedding since we last "spoke" but I still have the same problem with the speed and the connection dropping out.

As far as I can tell, the phone is working fine.

Regards

Andy

Community Team

Hi Andy

Apologies for the delay.

Have you made a couple of test calls from your line to see if there is any noise present?

Thanks

Debbie

ABC24016708
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie, I'm not sure what happened but I did reply to your last message but it does not appear here. I have used the phone line quite a lot recently and as far as i can tell there is no problem or noise on the line. Hopefully you will be able to get to the bottom of my problem so that I can get the speed I am paying for.

Regards

Andy