Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Been stable for years bit not the case now

21 REPLIES 21
Readam
Chat Champion

My broadband connection has been stable and running at consistent downlink and uplink speeds since I had a line problem way back in 2015.

Recently however things have started to be less great.

First thing that I noticed was brief drops on internet connectivity, but these didn't show any kind of issues with DSL level disconnection when looking at router stats and uptime.

Next problem was that I started to see buffering on Netflix where this had not been occurring before.

I have been getting speeds of around mid-50's downlink and around 19 uplink since my last problem. When I look now these have dropped to around 35 and 12 for downlnk and uplink respectively. The TalkTalk service status check suggests that my broadband performance could be improved but is not indicating any line problems. It did suggest that my HG633 need to have a firmware update, but I don't  think that this is the problem.

I realise that if the cabinet has become more populated over time that this could be having an effect on my speed but a drop of this magnitude seems to be somewhat excessive if this is the cause. As far as I can tell the line stats have not changed from previous values in terms of attenuation, SNR  etc.

I have undertaken all the standard troubleshooting steps such as reboot, 20+ minutes disconnection and use of test socket, all to no effect.

I cannot hear any noise on line when using phone connected to test socket. Also test  socket use has not made any speed difference.

One 'strange' thing was that when I connected the phone to the test socket I heard what resembled 'busy' tone rather than dial tone. 

I subsequently called the landline from my mobile to see if there was a a problem for incoming calls and that was fine. Next time I tried to originate a call dial tone was back.........

Seems that there is something wrong so looking for ideas for next steps.

Thanks!

OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Readam

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which has detected a possible landline fault. In regards to the intermittent dial tone, if you dial 1571 are there any messages waiting?

Thanks

Debbie

Readam
Chat Champion

Hi Debbie,

The tone i heard wasn't the 1571 'interrupted' dial tone. It was more like an 'engaged' tone.

Hope this helps!

OCE_Debbie

Hi Readam

Thanks for your reply.

Would it be possible to make a couple of test calls today from your landline just to see if you do experience any issues?

Debbie

Readam
Chat Champion

Hi Debbie,

Yes I will do so.

Thanks!

OCE_Debbie
Readam
Chat Champion

Hi Debbie,

As requested, I have making  calls today from my landline and when they have set up OK audio seems OK . If there is any interference it is very low level.

What I have experienced, however, is that every so often when I have gone  'off-hook' then I have received the 'busy' tone that I mentioned in an earlier post rather than dial tone. This is not  consistent and happening, say, every third attempt - it is quite random.

It has usually been the case that if I hang up and then try again when I get the busy tone that    I get the expected dial tone instead.

That said,in some cases it has taken a few attempts to 'lose' the busy tone and to receive dial tone instead when trying to set up a call.

For completeness I have also called the landline from my mobile and these calls have also been OK with none of them failing.

Again, hope this helps!.

OCE_Arne

Hi Readam

I have tested for any fault on the voice side and there are none detected. 

did you test the phone direct into the test socket with no filter to see if the problem re-occurs?  if not it could be a faulty microfilter, do you have a replacement? 

Readam
Chat Champion

Hi Arne,

Yes I was connected test socket without microfilter when testing the landline.

For clarity,  I have been using an Openreach NTE5 MK2 Master socket with DSL filtering built in for everyday use for as long as I can remember.

When I started to experience problems then I removed the NTE5 faceplate to gain access to the test socket and have been using the microfilter originally supplied with the HG633 directly into the test socket while the problem I seem to be experiencing is investigated.

So from that point-of-view the microfilter is already a replacement versus the filtered NTE5 faceplate. 🙂

Incidentally, I have no internal extension wiring connected to the NTE5 Master socket.

Thanks!

OCE_Arne

Hi 

We are still not picking up any obvious faults, this may end up needing a engineer home visit. The danger being that if there is no fault found during the visit you will be charged £65. 

So If Our network team need access times and dates to arrange an engineer, can you read and understand the following Engineer charges help page you will need to agree to this to allow us to book this.

Then if you can send me via a personal message on the community with the best available dates and times for you, Monday to Friday, either AM (8am tilll 1pm) or PM (1pm till 6pm) for the visit we will book this.

Thanks

Readam
Chat Champion

Hi 

Personal message sent.

Thanks!

OCE_Arne

Hi @Readam

Line tests are now showing a battery fault so, We have requested an engineer to go out to the exchange in the next 48 hours. 

No access to the property is required at this time. 

We can check the fault ticket in 48 hours for an update

Regards

Readam
Chat Champion

Hi Arne,

Thanks for the update.

OCE_Michelle

Hi Readam,

If you don't hear anymore over the weekend then please can you bump your thread (request an update) on Monday and we can re-check for an update on the fault for you.

Thanks

Readam
Chat Champion

Hi Michelle,

Something has been clearly done as speeds are up from where they were - around high 40's down and 19 up.

When I do the "service status" check it says fault still being worked on, so maybe the line is still being monitored?

Anyway, definite improvement from where I was. Thanks for all the support!

OCE_Debbie

Hi Readam

Thanks for keeping us updated. 

There is an open fault ticket for a fault with the landline service. Are you experiencing any faults with the landline service?

Thanks

Debbie

Readam
Chat Champion

Hi Debbie,

The fault was identified as a battery fault, so I guess that is classed  a landline fault?

Thanks!

OCE_Debbie

Hi Readam

Thanks for your reply.

Yes that can affect the landline service. Have you got any noise on the line at the moment when making calls?

Thanks

Debbie

Readam
Chat Champion

Hi Debbie,

The problem that I initially reported was a slowdown in broadband speed. At the end of last week as part of the ongoing investigation into what was causing the slowdown, a battery problem was detected as part of line testing that was undertaken.

Prior to that I had made some test calls from the test socket with no microfilter connected and could not notice any noise on the line.

The broadband had 'sped up' on Saturday morning so I assumed that the battery fault had been fixed.

It seems that this might not be the case if the fault is still open, and that the speed increase was just a coincidence?

I guess stranger things have happened. 🙂

Thanks!

OCE_Debbie

Hi Readam

I've looked into this further and I can see that this fault is under investigation with an Openreach line engineer.

We should receive further updates within the next 24hrs.

Thanks

Debbie