would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Best Modem to buy for NG N8000 Router, NAT Loopback required

18 REPLIES 18
tomgould
Popular Poster

Hello, 

I have just switched from Virgin to TT, I always used my virgin free router in modem only mode but can't do that with the new TT one

The R8000 I have doesn't have a modem so what modem should I get that will allow me to NAT Loopback and give good performance on the fibre connection

I'm also only getting 14MB Down and 1MB Up when promised 80 down and 20 up with the TT gear so any suggestions in that also appreciated

Thanks in advance 😁

Community Team

Hi tomgould,

Sorry, I can't advise you about the router but if you could add your TalkTalk landline telephone number to your community profile we can take a look at your speed issue

Thanks
Chris

tomgould
Popular Poster

Phone number added

Why can't you suggest another modem though ?

What is the interest in keeping everyone using the rather basic router you supply ??

Community Team

Hi tomgould,

You're quite welcome to use a 3rd party router it's just that I'm unable to recommend one, but other members are free to do so.

Line test is showing your router isn't in sync at the moment, is it currently switched on and connected to your telephone socket?

Chris

tomgould
Popular Poster

Hi Chris, 

Yes it's switched on, I'm working from home today so am using it right now

I don't have a landline phone and have no intention of getting one, not sure if that makes a difference

It's not the router I'm after, just a modem that allows NAT Loopback I can use with my existing router

Thanks

Tom

Community Team

OK, thanks. Line test is still showing router isn't in sync. How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router?

Does your master socket have a test socket?

Chris

tomgould
Popular Poster

Hi Chris only one socket, only the TT router plugged in,

39df7db7-67cb-40cc-9490-d9fd2e589ac8.jpega1dbaa55-302a-4004-bb4a-12b100ce15d8.jpegb0557e13-18ae-497d-b63d-bb603eb65a0b.jpeg

Community Team

Would you be able to switch your router off for 30 minutes then switch back on and let us know when you've done this (I understand this may be inconvenient or not possible if you're working from home and require your BB connection)

Chris

tomgould
Popular Poster

I can switch it off when I head to the office later on then back on when I get home

Will that be any good ??

Community Team
tomgould
Popular Poster

Hi Chris

Powered down for over 30 mins and been back up for an hour

Dl speed is still under 14 and Ul is still about 1

This is Wired speed with a cable from router to computer

I was told on a support call on Sunday it would be fixed within 72 hours and the line to the hose from the telegraph pole was only put in on Friday

Community Team

Thanks for trying that.

It looks as though you're still on an ADSL circuit so I'm chasing this up with our network team. I'll let you know when I receive an update 

Chris

Community Team

Hi,

Our network team have said that we'll need to arrange an engineer visit. If you'd like us to arrange the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also PM'd you to confirm some other details

Thanks
Chris

tomgould
Popular Poster

Hi Chris, 

I have messaged details,

Please can you have someone call me on my mobile

Also I am not exactly happy the potential for charges given the OpenReach engineers only installed the cable to the property 6 days ago

Community Team

Thanks for the PM, I've replied

Chris

Community Team

Hi,

Thanks for the PM

I've asked our network team to book the earliest AM appointment from Monday onwards. I'll let you know when I receive confirmation of the date booked

Thanks

Chris

Community Team

Hi, 

I've received confirmation from the network team that the engineer visit is booked for April 01 2019 AM (08:00-13:00), please let us know how you get on 

Chris

will123
Popular Poster

To resolve the NAT Loopback inadequacies of the default routers I've just connected my TalkTalk FTTC line to an Openreach branded Huawei EchoLife HG612 running as a modem bridge then into an seperate router. The router's WAN interface is configured as a DHCP client to obtain the external IP address (not PPPoE). You should be able to pick one up on eBay for £10 or less including postage.

You might need to unlock it https://kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm

And apparently the 3B model is the one to get https://support.aa.net.uk/index.php?title=Router_-_EchoLife_HG612

Hope this helps.

tomgould
Popular Poster
Perfect thanks Will 🙂