cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

BrightSparks to attend!! - slow fibre broadband for weeks, no disconnections, phone line perfect

33 REPLIES 33
Figgis
Whizz Kid

I have up to 76MB Fibre broadband and although I rarely get speeds of 70+ I normally get 40 - 60 speed. Recently it has been slowing down so I get buffering when I'm browsing or watching a drama.  My speed is now 27/28MB on wireless or 30/32 when wired.  This is unsatisfactory as I am used to a much higher speed and am paying for it.

My phone line is perfect, no noises or problems with calls. My broadband stays connected so no disconnections, it is just too slow. I reported the problem to Talk Talk and they can find no fault on the line and have told me that a BrightSparks engineer needs to visit and check the connections in my home. I have an appointment for Satursay PM.

They told me it would be free of charge unless I was not home or if I had damaged the equipment. I am sceptical as I was not asked to carry out any tests as I had done previously when I reported a speed problem. Can they really check the connections at the exchange & the street cabinet so quickly before saying an engineer visit is required to investigate the problem. 

Has anyone had a similar experience where an engineers visit was the first choice and did they avoid a charge. Do I have to beware?

Figgis
KeithFrench
Community Star

More information is required if the fault is to be rectified. 

How do you connect wireless, wired, or a mixture? If a mixture is a wired connection better than wireless?

It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is.

To help diagnose this issue, please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http://192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password: admin        (unless you have set your own password).

If you use the HG633 & DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, they have their own unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.

Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.

On the HG633 this is at:-

Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information

On the DSL-3782 go to the home page & copy the stats from the DSL & IPv4 pages.

If you have the new TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub this can be seen via:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage Advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub

Click on the General tab then scroll down to the page to the xDSL section & copy & paste them into your reply.

Next can you also go to this speed checker (it is useful to have speed test figures taken at the same time as gathering the router's statistics):-

http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

Alternatively use:-

https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

Do this on both wireless & wired (if you have wired), but with never more than one device connected at a time.

Please can you paste the results here?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Figgis
Whizz Kid

I posted my question in error before I had finished so your reply does not address the question. I edited the post and completed my question. What you suggested was the sort of thing I expected to be told to do when I reported the problem. They ran a check on the line and I had a text 2 mins later to say they could not detect any problems. When I rang back they brought up the engineer visit. I asked about the Router as previously when I had problems I would be told to check this and that and sometimes in the distant past I would be sent a new router. they were only interested in arranging a BrightSparks visit.

Figgis
KeithFrench
Community Star

I am trying to offer you help, totally free of charge, but if you won't supply the information I need, then I can't help you. The choice is yours.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

ferguson
Community Star

If they have offered you an engineer visit free of charge to check your internal setup then go for it. You haven't told us what it is so it is impossible to guess.

Figgis
Whizz Kid
I have a BrightSparks engineer appointment for tomorrow so I don't want to alter anything before they come. I am curious as to why I have to agree to an engineers visit when I have not been asked to check anything like you have suggested. Is this normal?

I
Figgis
ferguson
Community Star

No idea, but I know that TalkTalk do monitor customer lines from their end and are sometimes proactive in addressing any issues that arise. Let us know how you get on after the engineer visit.

Figgis
Whizz Kid

I guess I'm cynical about a free visit as it has never been 'suggested' before.

My landline is an old BT line with a D-Link DSL-3782 router connected to it. A only use an ethernet wired connection if I'm testing. I have rarely had to do this since I got Fast Fibre in January 2018. The speed has mostly been over 40 mb and was over 70 shortly after it was set up, after the settling down period. I use a laptop on a wireless connection all the time. I also have Hive wireless Thermostat permanently connected. From time to time I use Now TV via an app and sometimes via a Now TV box. An HP printer is also connected but I only print a few sheets per week. I have a Samsung Tablet and Smart TV but the wireless connection is rarely used. My smart phone is always used on data as I have a generous data package. I have EchoDot on order and am looking forward to using that for music and radio.

There is very little difference in my speeds when on wireless or wired.

Figgis
ferguson
Community Star

I was thinking more what type of BT master socket you have and whether or not you have any extension sockets in use also. So let's see what emerges from the BrightSparks visit.

Figgis
Whizz Kid

I have a master socket like the first one shown in the link below. The base unit of my digital cordless phone is plugged into this. 

There is also a hard wired extension socket in a bedroom that is the same type. This is not in use as I have had digital cordless phones for some years and only one phone socket is required for them. I tested the extension socket today and it works fine. 

Your-guide-to-master-sockets

I tried to add a snip capture of the sockets using the paperclip link below but the .png extension is not valid. The above link goes straight to the diagrams of phone sockets.

Figgis
Figgis
Whizz Kid

@Figgis wrote:

I have a master socket like the first one shown in the link below. The base unit of my digital cordless phone is plugged into this. 

There is also a hard wired extension socket in a bedroom that is the same type. This is not in use as I have had digital cordless phones for some years and only one phone socket is required for them. I tested the extension socket today and it works fine. 

Your-guide-to-master-sockets

I tried to add a snip capture of the sockets using the paperclip link below but the .png extension is not valid. The above link goes straight to the diagrams of phone sockets.

@ferguson 

The BrightSparks engineer has been and gone. He arrived ready to change the telephone socket as it may have a copper wire problem which is not compatible with Fast Fibre connection. I now have an Openreach MK 4 test socket with a separate connection for the phone and broadband. There is no need for micro filters with this type of socket. The speed is still the same but it's supposed to settle down to a fast speed in the next few days. I was warned not touch the router settings. 

There is no charge for the visit.

Figgis
OCE_Michelle
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Figgis,

Thanks for the update. How have you found the connection/speed since your last post?

Thanks

Figgis
Whizz Kid

@OCE_Michelle

An earlier speedtest result today.

We recorded your speed as

DownloadUpload

28869 KBits/s(3608.625 KBytes/s)
17059 KBits/s(2132.375 KBytes/s)

Test at 12:05 today

We recorded your speed as

DownloadUpload

28739 KBits/s(3592.375 KBytes/s)
17881 KBits/s(2235.125 KBytes/s)

It is still the same as before the Telephone socket was replaced and the same speed as yesterday. There is now no difference between wired and wireless speeds. Previously the difference was under or around 2 mbps. When I first tested the speed today shortly after switching on my laptop I obtained two very slow speeds of 6 - 8 mbps but after that it settled at around 28mbps. It is about 42 hours since the engineer finished so I will give it a bit more time to increase and stabilise.  

There is a management call booked for later this afternoon as a follow up to the service call and I will see what s/he has to say. 

Figgis
OCE_Michelle

Hi Figgis,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Figgis
Whizz Kid
It's over 48 hours since the BrightSparks engineer departed and the speed has not improved. I reported back to the manager who followed up on the engineer service call. He told me the speed should have improved straight away after the phone socket was replaced and the engineer should have escalated the fault to Openreach. I now have an appointment with Openreach for Tuesday PM. They may or may not wish to access my home.
Figgis
OCE_Michelle
Figgis
Whizz Kid

The manager who followed up onb the brightSparks engineer call told me that an Openreach engineer should have been called out.

The openreach engineer attended on Tuesday, he found a loose wire outside and rectified it,. The speed instantly shot up to 76mb. It stayed at that level until about midnight last night  (Thurs) when the connection suddenly dropped. I was unable to get it connected. Earlier today I turned on my laptop and I was instantly connected but at a speed of around 45mb over several tests and about an hour.

I phone TT, got speaking to a manager who eventually told me that my local exchange had a 3 hour power outage last night. He also told me I needed a new router to achieve and maintain optimum speeds. This I find puzzling as when I reported my constant slow speeds a week ago I suggested a new router and I was told it was not necessary as I had a good router. The BrightSparks engineer also said the same.

I have a D-Link DSL-3782 router and I'm supposed to be getting a 'new' Huawei HG- 633 router.  As an alternative, I was offered the chance to buy a Hub for a reduced price but I declined as I know nothing about them. I'm p!ssed off that a new router was not offered straight away when I suggested it a week ago.

Can anyone tell me if the HG - 633 router is any good and what is the Hub and should I have bought it.

Figgis
OCE_Debbie

Hi Figgis

I'm sorry to hear this.

The DSL3782 and HG633 are both Super Routers (but different make and models)

The Wifi Hub is our latest router. Please let us know how the connection compares with the replacement router.

Thanks

Debbie

Figgis
Whizz Kid
If the WiFi Hub is your latest router it must be Extra Super or else why is the price £120 when DSL3782 and HG633 Super Routers are free of charge. I have had DSL3782 since I rejoined you a couple of years ago and I wonder why it's not behaving like a Super Router.
Figgis
OCE_Chris

Hi Figgis,

If you let us know when you receive the HG633 we'll check to see that it has the latest firmware

Thanks

Chris