Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband Faster Fibre Boost Not Boosting

15 REPLIES 15
Kennedy1
Popular Poster

I renewed my contract on the 2nd Dec and had the Faster Fibre Speed Boost added to go from average 38Mb to average 67Mb as advertised. I have had no improvement since then despite repeated switching off of the router for 30 mins plus. Talktalk speed checker always gets 35-37 Mb consistently. The on-line chat maintains that there is nothing wrong with my connection and  if I am not experiencing any problems, then there is nothing else to do other than to have a "possible" charged engineer to attend. My account clearly details the new contract and the addition of the speed boost. Any suggestions please?

Kennedy
martswain
Philosopher

If your line was not already in sync at 40 Mbps then adding the boost, which is just lifting an artificial cap, may have no effect.

The generic speeds are just an average over all customers, your line's capabilities are mostly determined by the actual distance to the fibre cabinet.

What is your minimum guaranteed speed as advised in your online account or contract email ?

Martin
Kennedy1
Popular Poster

Hi martswain,

My account details estimated speeds 55 - 77Mb. My line was, and is, stable at 34-38Mb. I renewed the contract on the 2nd Dec and added on the fibre boost. There was a brief moment I saw 55Mb that day, then thereafter, back to the typical 34-38Mb. Many 30 mins router switch-offs as instructed by TalkTalk chat line, but no sign of any improvement in speed but of course, I'm now paying for the boost!

Kennedy
OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Kennedy1

There were a high number of re connections on the line and this can affect the sync speed.

Would it be possible to leave the router at the test socket for 48hrs without rebooting the router? We can then check the connection stats again on Monday to see if DLM increases the speed any further.

Thanks

Debbie

Kennedy1
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

Yes. I can do that no problem. Thanks.

Kennedy
OCE_Chris

Thanks Kennedy, can you bump the thread on Monday and we'll see how you're getting on 🙂

Chris

Kennedy1
Popular Poster

HI Chris. Monday morning. No change. Been stable all weekend at or around 35-37Mb. No connection or download issues. Just not anywhere near the boost expectations. Clearly, my speed is still capped at the Faster Fibre speed as before I renewed my contract.

Kennedy
OCE_Michelle

Hi Kennedy1,

I'm sorry to hear that there has been no improvement. I've asked our Network Team to take a look now and I'll let you know as soon as we receive an update back.

Thanks

OCE_Michelle

Hi Kennedy1,

Just a quick update to let you know that I've not forgotten about your thread and I'm currently awaiting an update back in regards to the next steps.

Thanks

OCE_Michelle

Hi Kennedy1,

I've spoken with our Network Team again now and they are making a change to try and reset the speed. They have advised that it usually takes around 24hrs, however they will check it tomorrow morning and will let me know if this was worked.

They advised that you may need to do a 30 minute router power down following this, however I will confirm this tomorrow so please don't reboot the router at the moment.

Thanks

OCE_Michelle

Morning Kennedy1,

Our Network Team have contacted me now and advised that the speed hasn't changed as yet so they are still looking into this. I'll post back again as soon as I know more.

Thanks

Kennedy1
Popular Poster

Thank you for the update. I lost the internet connection completely some time during the night even though the router light was on and a constant white light and it never came back on by itself. I therefore have had to reboot the router to get a connection again. Agreed, no increase in speed noticed.

Kennedy
OCE_Michelle

Hi Kennedy1,

Sorry to hear this and I'll let you know as soon as they come back to me with more information.

Thanks

OCE_Michelle

Hi Kennedy1,

I'm really sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've now received confirmation that the sync speed has increased. Please let us know how the broadband speed compares now.

Thanks

Kennedy1
Popular Poster

Hi Michelle. Great. That's much closer to what I was expecting - 60Mb at the router port now. Many thanks for the investigation and your great communications throughout.

Kennedy
OCE_Michelle

Hi Kennedy1,

Ah I'm really glad to hear that the speed has increased 🙂 Thanks for letting me know 🙂

Thanks