cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband Issues

15 REPLIES 15
Team Player

We have had broadband issues ever since we have been with you. Engineers have been round, new routers and still we have problems.

Now we have a nice speed then all of a sudden it drops to about 0.5mbps. Reset the router and it goes back upto 20mbps for a day and then drops again.

We have ended up cancelling our sports package as channels are unwatchable for the price that is being asked for. I have given up phoning as all I get told to do is the same. I am writing on here as this is now the last resort.

Community Star

Are these figures carried out via speed test sites & over a wired or a wireless connection? Have you checked the router's downstream line rate, to see the speed it is operating at?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Team Player

Yes they are taken from speed tests.

Speed comes up as low as 0.5mbps. I then reset the router, do another test and the speed shoots back to normal.

Sky One goes distorted, that's how I now the speed is low. After a day the speed drops again and goes back up after a router reboot.

Since my post I have had to reboot router yet again, didn't even last 2 hours this time. So I wouldn't worry about this post as I am now switching providers.

Community Star

This is often very simple to fix.

How do you connect wireless, wired, or a mixture? If a mixture is a wired connection better than wireless?

It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is.

To help diagnose this issue, please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http://192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password: admin        (unless you have set your own password).

If you use the HG633 & DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, they have their own unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.

Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.

On the HG633 this is at:-

Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information

On the DSL-3782 go to the home page & copy the stats from the DSL & IPv4 pages.

If you have the new TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub this can be seen via:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage Advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub

Click on the General tab then scroll down to the page to the xDSL section & copy & paste them into your reply.

Please can you paste the results here?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Team Player
DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
Interleaved
DSL up-time:
Image2.jpg
Team Player

And its wired and wireless, both are roughly the same.

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Jsjames2002

Apologies for this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 24.7mb.

How often does the speed drop? If you reboot the router does the speed increase straight away?

Thanks

Debbie

Team Player

The speed does increase to over 20mbps when the router is reset. It is now dropping about 2 hours after reset.

Hi Jsjames2002

Have you tested with 2 different routers? the HG633 and DSL3782 router?

Thanks

Debbie

Team Player

Hi Debbie

I've plugged the 3782 in and if i remember correctly, this done something similar but well see how it goes. 

The speed isn't what it should be but its good enough atm.

I'll keep an eye on it and post back later

Image4.jpg

Team Player

We have had no drop in speed with this router yet, but there has been a few connection drops and taken a couple of minutes for the light to go from red to green. That was probably the reason why the routers were changed over.

Hi Jsjames2002

Apologies for this.

Would you like me to send another DSL3782 router for testing?

Thanks

Debbie

Team Player

Yes please as it does appear to be an issue with the router and apart from the disconnects the DSL3782 is holding speed.

Hi Jsjames2002

The DSL3782 router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Team Player

Router turned up yesterday and its ok so far. I'll let you know again after a couple of days.

Thankyou

Hi Jsjames2002

Thanks for keeping us updated, please let us know how you get on.

Debbie