Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband Speed Issues

24 REPLIES 24
raljon19
Popular Poster

I am currently receiving 44Mbs download on a 'fibre (boost)' contract.

The quoted figures are... 

Your estimated broadband speeds

Minimum Guaranteed speed

46Mb

Download speed

51Mb to 73Mb

Upload speed

13Mb

These results are poor..Scotish and Southern Energy  previously obtained 51Mb/s on the same line although even that was not great. 

Impossible to contact TT via phone: always defaults to chat service and now no response even to the chat emails!

As a new customer not that impressed.

Wi fi is very good and upload speeds fine. However, relatively poor download speeds and occasional dropouts are a disappointment.  My desktop pc is connected directly to the router via a direct cable.

Finally, the connection between the telegraph pole and the house is via a very old looking cable!

Any help anyone? !

ferguson
Community Star

Where are you getting your 44Mbps from, the router connection data, or a speedtest result?

raljon19
Popular Poster

speedtest result confirmed at the other end

ferguson
Community Star

OK, well the guaranteed minimum relates to the sync speed at your router, throughput as measured by speedtesters will always be less. 

If you would like the online support team to look into this for you make sure that your personal details including TalkTalk landline number are complete on your community profile here so that they can link your forum identity with your account. With the weekend upon us it is unlikely to be until Monday at the earliest before they respond.

raljon19
Popular Poster

will do thats useful, thanks

ferguson
Community Star

No worries, I hope it gets sorted to your satisfaction.

Community Team

Hi raljon19

Apologies for the delay.

The line test has detected a possible fault.

Is your landline service working ok when making calls? Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

raljon19
Popular Poster

hi Debbie,

The landline works, (although we don't really use it), I have always thought that the call volume was low and that the quality was poor: even before talk talk provided the service.

We have a modern BT master socket with separate router and phone connections. Currently connected to the router socket. The computer is connected directly to the router via a cable. We have taken the face plate off before and connected directly into it but it made no difference.

The fibre cabinet is just down on the main road about 1/4 mile away and the copper cable in the street was all replaced by a telecom company just before fibre became available. However the cable from the house to the telegraph pole is very old.

We have often suffered lower than average speeds and occasional dropouts. As the line speed does not reach the guaranteed minimum I would be grateful if you could look into this for us. 

Cheers,

Community Team

Hi raljon19

Thanks for your reply.

A fault with the landline service (noise) can affect the broadband connection so we have to investigate this first.

Are you using a corded or cordless phone?

Would it be possible to test with a corded handset directly at the test socket, with the router removed to see if the call/line quality is still the same?

Thanks

Debbie

raljon19
Popular Poster

hi,

we were using cordless but I replaced it with a corded phone to test it just now. I would say the corded phone was better quality. Volume was adequate and the line quiet. I would say that most people would describe the phone as working properly.

Just did a speedtest on the broadband and got a result of 46Mbps. So I would say that the fault is linked to the broadband and not the phone.

regards,

Ralph 

Community Team

Hi Ralph

Thanks for your reply.

I have escalated the BB fault over to our Network Team for investigation and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

raljon19
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

thanks, will 'keep an eye out' for your reply, 

Regards,

Ralph

Community Team

Hi Ralph

Our Network Team have advised that their line tests are detecting a possible equipment issue. I think we should send a replacement router before arranging an engineer visit. Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing?

Thanks

Debbie

raljon19
Popular Poster

hi Debbie,

yes sure I will give it a try if your tests indicate it is a possible cause, and in any event I guess we need to do this to rule it out.

If there is no difference following testing I would prefer to revert to the original one as I have already set the wi fi up on a number of devices.

When I receive the new router should I report back to you on the forum following testing at this end?

Regards,

Ralph 

Community Team

Hi Ralph

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

raljon19
Popular Poster

Good morning Debbie,

The new router arrived this morning and has been installed. I have connected it on its own directly to the master socket and to the desktop pc by cable. No wi fi devices are being used at present.

There is a small but noticeable improvement in speed. Consistent results of several speed tests this morning show:

ping 20, download 48.04 Mbps, upload 18.51 Mbps. These results are repeatable and do not vary much.

Although not within the quoted speed range of 51 to 73 the speed is now above the guaranteed minimum of 46. It is too early to say if dropouts remain a problem or not but so far so good. 

Can you confirm if a fault is still indicated at your end and if not can the speed be tweaked any more?

I assume I will be keeping this router and posting the other one back?

Thanks for your help, we are getting there slowly!

Ralph 

Community Team

Hi Ralph

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Please can you leave this router connected to the line for 48hrs, we can then check the speed again to see if DLM makes any changes to the line profile.

Thanks

Debbie

raljon19
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

A BT engineer visited the property today at the request of one of your colleagues to investigate the ongoing line fault. He attributed the incidence of drop outs to the outdated cable between the pole and the property. He replaced the cable and fitted a new master socket. Line quality was tested.

Unfortunately, At 550 metres from the cabinet it appears that the max estimated line speed is 51 Mbps, and I am now getting very nearly that.

The engineer was very helpful and informative.

Can you now perform any final tweaks necessary and confirm that the line now shows no faults?

Thank you for taking the time to sort out this problem properly.

I will be returning the faulty router shortly.

Regards,

Ralph

Community Team

Hi Ralph

Thanks for keeping us updated.

I've checked the connection stats and the line test is now clear and your line is in sync at 51.5mb.

Please can you continue to monitor the connection and let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

raljon19
Popular Poster

will do, final update (I hope) in a few days,

Regards,

Ralph