Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband connection issues

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Good Afternoon,

Over the last few days we have been experiencing slow broadband performance.

Spoke to talk talk last night who made some amendments on our router but we are still getting intermittent slow connection today.

Just wondered if this could be looked into. Not sure if we need a  new router?

Spoke to talktalk this morning again and was hung up on.

Understand its a particularly busy time .

Many Thanks

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Parkerjacket,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks ok. Is there any improvement in throughput speed if you switch the router off for a full 30 minutes and then retest the speed again please?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

thanks for the reply.

We have been unable to test leaving off for 30 mins due to trying to work from home.

speed tests vary massively , and issue appears intermittent. 

Were told last night that issue was on the router with devices using a particular channel, he said he had resolved - but we have been experiencing issues all day again today.

Not sure if its the router thats causing the issue as we are also experiencing issues in other rooms in the house where before we had no issues in these rooms.

Thanks again for your assistance

Highlighted

Hi

No line issues, and all looks ok.  Can you tell me if speed issues are only affecting devices over 'WiFi' ?

Are direct wired connections ok from a pc laptop etc ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks Karl,

All our devices are connected via wifi . But we have experienced issues with the talktalk tv box connected via an ethernet cable to router.

Regards

Highlighted

Hi,

Log into the router and manually change the SSID (Wi Fi) name of the 5ghz channel.

I often find it is better to keep the 2 broadcast channels separate.  For example, I have changed mine, and call one Home2Ghz and the other Home5Ghz.  

Also, you can try manually setting the wifi channel  for each broadcast channel. Try channel 6 for the 2ghz channel and 44 for the 5ghz channel.

There are apps you can download that can show the wireless channels in use.  For example I use WiFi analyser for Android to show the wifi channels in use around me and this allows me to set the least congested channel.

Give this a try and see if the connection speed improves to the devices.

Thanks

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks for the help Karl,

We have never logged into the router, could you advise what credentials we use?

Thanks

Highlighted
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks for that. just had an email from talktalk saying that they have sent a newer router? Just wondered if you could see if this was a newer model?

Also was just wondering if you could see when our contract expires - think its in the summer sometime?

Thanks all for your assistance.

Highlighted

Hi Parkerjacket,

I've sent you a PM to confirm some details so that we can give your contract end date

Thanks 

Chris

Highlighted

Hi Parkerjacket,

Thanks for the PM, I've replied with your contract end date

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks Chris.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

We have been advised that we are being sent a new different model of router to test, I was just wondering if there is anyway of anyone here being able to check what router has been sent ?

Many Thanks

Highlighted

The router being sent is the wi-fi hub

Chris