Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband constantly dropping out

11 REPLIES 11
38Super
Chatterbox

My broadband is constantly dropping out every few minutes, sometimes just a few seconds, sometimes minutes, sometimes needs the router rebooting.

The white light stays on and this happens with both wired and wireless devices.

It's been going on for a week or so now and getting worse. My students are sometimes missing what I say and the Zoom session drops out. The line appears to be OK and diagnostics report no problems.

Can anyone help?

Skynet_TX
Community Star

Hi @38Super,

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post within a working day or two. You may get faster support from the live chat during opening hours.

38Super
Chatterbox

Thanks for the info. I've been trying the Live Chat for a couple of days but just get the busy message.

I'll update my profile.

Cheers

Sweetlowdown
Chatterbox

I had a similar problem.

Had the engineers out so many times different ones each time.

but when they came it was working fine.

After trying new router and everything else new wires phone socket an filters.

Also discussing with the engineers.

I insisted they try changing the port we were plugged into at the cabinet but they weren't exactly keen on the idea so I threatened to cancel the subscription if they didn't atleast try.. felt like they didn't believe me.

Anyway that fixed it, this was with BT.

JD
38Super
Chatterbox

Thanks for your reply. We did have a problem about 3 weeks ago which turned out to be a fault at the exchange so may be related.

OCE_Michelle
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi 38Super,

I'm sorry to hear this and I will take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the connection looks stable. Just to confirm, are you connected wireless when this happens? Do you have any devices connected wired?

Thanks

38Super
Chatterbox

Yes. This happens on both wired and wireless devices. I'm repeatedly getting 'unstable connection' and 'your connection was restored' messages. It's most noticeable on the wired connection device as games frequently disconnect and have to restart.

OCE_Michelle

Hi 38Super,

Thanks for confirming. I've checked the router firmware and this has the most recent version. The line test is still clear and the connection still looks stable. Have you noticed if any lights change on the router when this happens? Are you using any powerline adapters?

Thanks

38Super
Chatterbox

As far as I can tell the white light on the front of the router remains on throughout any problems even when the the connection has been lost for several minutes.

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'powerline adapter'?

Regards

Rob

OCE_Michelle

Hi Rob,

Ok, would you like us to send a different make and model of router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

38Super
Chatterbox

Yes please if it will help to resolve the problem.

Thanks

Rob

OCE_Debbie

Hi Rob

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie