Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband disconnecting and speed sesawing

44 REPLIES 44
Highlighted
Insightful One

The router is plugged into the master socket (does not have test socket). Tests have been done over wifi, powerline adaptors and plugging directly into the router, all give the same results. 2.4 and 5 hz also  give the same results. Wifi hub swapped out for HG635 and still getting the same problems. I have also changed the micro filter, there have been no changes made prior to the problems below, there is no noise on the landline. My account details are up to date. When I first went over to faster fibre (years ago) I got a steady 28 download speed which over the years settled at 20.

A couple of months ago I noticed sites were taking longer and longer to load, using the my account checks the wifi hub was shown to be slowing down and disconnecting.  A test via my account showed disconnects and slow speed (around 9 down and 5 up). The hub was disconnected for half an hour the switched back on, the speed was then 20 down and 5 up. Within a week it happened again with the same test results in my account. The hub was then turned off for two days, then turned back on. Again over the course of a week it slowed to a crawl.

The hub was then swapped out for an HG635, speed was 20 down, 5 up. After a week it all slowed down again. Again test using my account showed disconnects and slow speed, once again the router was turned off, when switched back on it was 20 down, 5 up. Over the last couple of days it slowed down again but I did not have time to mess around turning off and on, this morning it shows as 20 down and 5 up, but the test is showing disconnects again.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi zebidee88,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your service 

Your current sync speed is 21.4Mbps and I can only see one reconnection (yesterday) in the last 7 days. When the throughput speed drops have you noticed if the sync speed also drops?

Chris

Highlighted
Insightful One

Hi @OCE_Chris to be honest I have not checked the sync speed figures just those returned on the TalkTalk my account speed check, there has been a big variation in the Ping (whatever a ping is) it seems to range between 8 and 18.

I'll keep an eye on the sync speed if it helps. But so far q have used two routers, replaced the microfilter, tried wifi, wired, powerline adaptors, and both frequencies and getting almost identical results. I am also getting quite a few failure to connect to server reports, I just ran tow speed tests via my account and the first failed part way through with an unable to connect to server error massage

Do I need to record the sync speed and weather conditions in case that helps?

Highlighted

Hi zebidee88,

Yes if you could just check what the sync speed is when the throughput speeds drop and if the speed drops appear to be weather related 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Insightful One

Hi @OCE_Chris  The router is disconnecting again (flashing red internet light seen twice) and the download speed seesawing, drops to 10-11. There is no difference in speed between wifi and wired straight into router. Plugged into master socket (no test socket) as it is an old socket. The TT test says disconnecting and speed below that promised, but line supposedly O.K.  Weather is dry and windy.

DSL synchronization status: Up
Connection status: Showtime
WAN IP Address: 212..
Primary DNS Server: 79.79.79.79
Secondary DNS Server: 79.79.79.80
Line Quality

Upstream line rate (kbit/s): 6008
Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 19999
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 7.2
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 8.9
Upstream interleave depth: 0
Downstream interleave depth: 0
Line standard: VDSL
Upstream line attenuation (dB): 0
Downstream line attenuation (dB): 0
Upstream output power (dBm): 6.9
Downstream output power (dBm): 8.5
Downstream interleave depth: None
DSL up-time:   0 days 18 hours 49 minutes 55 seconds

Highlighted
Insightful One

Another disconnect since my last post two days ago (IP address removed). Weather dry and still.

Connection status:                Showtime
WAN IP Address:                  212.139.
Primary DNS Server:            79.79.79.79
Secondary DNS Server:       79.79.79.80
Line Quality

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):    6695
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):19999
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 6.3
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 9.8
Upstream interleave depth:    0
Downstream interleave depth:0
Line standard:                         VDSL
Upstream output power (dBm):  7.1
Downstream output power (dBm): 9.2
DSL up-time:      0 days 22 hours 3 minutes 55 seconds

Highlighted
Insightful One

this was taken at the same time as the above

internet.jpg

Highlighted

Hi zebidee88,

I'm really sorry for the delay in getting back to you and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which has is clear and the connection now looks stable since your last post. The sync speed is varying a bit. Is the router still at the test socket? What throughput speeds are you seeing at the moment?

Thanks

Highlighted
Insightful One

Hi @OCE_Michelle 

The router is plugged into the main socket it is over 25 years old and does not have a test facility. I have tried swapping the router (HG633, HG635, WIFI Hub), I have tried swapping the filter and I use the supplied cables. Wifi and a cable directly into the router do not vary.

The upload is also lower as it was normally almost 6.

This morning I have started getting page not found etc again, even when logged into my account to do a speed test, the speed test page came back not found.

I have copied and pasted the router figure below (IP removed), my speed today is 18.7 at its peak. During a test yesterday is was up and down i.e.  11..14...15...11..16..18..  (when I took part in a TT router survey a while ago my speed was 28)

I don't know if they are any help but I have also pasted other screens from the TT test results below. One says the speed to the router could be improved (to the router not from).

Connection status: Showtime
WAN IP Address: 212.....
Primary DNS Server: 79.79.79.79
Secondary DNS Server: 79.79.79.80
Line Quality

Upstream line rate (kbit/s): 6695
Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 19999
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 4.5
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 0.2
Upstream interleave depth: 0
Downstream interleave depth: 0
Line standard: VDSL
Upstream output power (dBm): 7.1
Downstream output power (dBm): 9.2
DSL up-time: 
2 days 17 hours 14 minutes 19 seconds 

speed 22.01.jpg

speed 221.01.1.jpg

speed 21.01.2.jpg

Highlighted
Insightful One

In case this is helpful with the above, these are the speeds I used to get, 

speed.JPG

Highlighted

Hi zebidee88,

Which router is connected at the moment. When you tried the 2 different routers were they connected for at least 48hrs to allow time for DLM to make changes to the speed?

Was the current speed test and the connection not found this morning happen when you were connected wired or wireless?

Thanks

Highlighted
Insightful One

Hi @OCE_Michelle 

The router connected at the moment is the HG635 and has been connected for several weeks as the problem seemed to have gone away, but has returned. When I first started this thread each router was given a week to "settle". This mornings tests were over wifi.

Under the same conditions current speed using TT own tool as below, slightly lower than earlier this morning. 

speed 21.01.4.jpg

Highlighted

OK thanks, is your landline still OK, do you still have a dial tone and no noise on the line?

Chris

Highlighted
Insightful One

Hi @OCE_Chris 

The land line does not get much use but seems fine with a dial tone and no noise. This problem seems to flare up and then disappear for a while and then comes back again.

Highlighted

OK thanks. Stability seems to have improved over the last few days, have you noticed an improvement at your end?

Chris

Highlighted
Insightful One

It has managed to not disconnect for three days which suggests whatever was troubling it might have stopped, but this keeps coming back. The speed seems to have settled at 18 which is better than 11 but well short of the 28 it used to be. What do you suggest?

Highlighted

Hi zebidee88,

Thanks for confirming this. As the line tests are clear and you've tested with different routers at the non nte5 master socket then the next step would be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. Would you like us to arrange this for you?

Thanks

Highlighted
Insightful One

Hi @OCE_Michelle 

As this is an intermittent recourring fault, and assuming the worst case scenario, how much would that cost if they did not find a fault on the day they come?

Highlighted

Hi zebidee88,

I've included a Help Article below which contains more information on this.

Engineer charges

Thanks

Highlighted
Insightful One

Hi @OCE_Michelle 

Heavy rain is forecast for Monday with more during the week, if possible I would like to see what happens when it rains as it might give a clue as to what is causing it.