cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband download speed dropped from 77mbps to 35mbps

18 REPLIES 18
Conversation Starter

My download speed has dropped to 35mbps, prior to this it has been at just under 80mbps over extended period. Upload speeds remain at 20mbps. I have rebooted/ reset router but makes no difference. No changes to internal house setup have been made. WiFi Hub is Sagemcom FAST 5364. Can TalkTalk please address this issue

Community Star

Hi @Mac55 ,

Have you tried switching the router off for over 30 minutes, then when you switch it back on it will start a new 'session', this can sometimes help it reconnect at a better speed.

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to do a test on your phone line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault on your line that may be causing the drop in download speed. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

The TalkTalk staff on this forum will also be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Mac55

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see re connections on the line and this can affect the sync speed.

Is the connection dropping or has the router been rebooted?

Thanks

Debbie

Conversation Starter

Yes the router was rebooted yesterday a couple of times, I did this after I first noticed the drop in download speed. Again rebooted this morning and left off for 40mins before restarting but no improvement.

In August last year, when not getting speeds having upgrades to fast fibre, Openreach sorted line out, including internal points inside house and was getting 80mbps. At some point they reset the line (DLM).

Nothing else has been changed in the internal setup.

Hi Mac55

Thanks for your reply.

Would it be possible to connect your router at the test socket for 48hrs, without rebooting the router to see if DLM starts to increase the speed again in this set up?

Thanks

Debbie

Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie

The router is already connected to the main Openreach socket. Its one of the things they changed a year ago when they moved the main socket position.

Hi Mac55

Is the faceplate connected or has the faceplate been removed and is the router directly at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Conversation Starter

The faceplate is in place. If I took it off and put router in socket then telephone could not be connected as main socket is only functioning point for connecting phone.

Hi Mac55

If you connect the router and phone at the test socket using a micro filter then the phone will work in this set up.

Thanks

Debbie

Conversation Starter

I could try that but I don't quite see how that will be any different to connecting to the faceplate as in both cases don't they form a junction point for phone/ router to single BT point?

Hi Mac55

This would help to rule out any possible faults with the face plate as these can become faulty.

Thanks

Debbie

Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie

Ok, I've removed faceplate (only a year old) and inserted a splitter. What happens after 48 hours if there is no change? Get BT/ Openreach to reset line remotely ?

Hi Mac55

Thank you. Yes if the speed has not increased and is below the predicted range for your line then the next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Debbie

Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie

Ok, thankyou. Will wait until Monday to see how it goes

Hi Mac55

Thank you, we will also check the connection stats again on Monday too.

Debbie

Hi Mac55

I've checked the connection stats and I can see that the sync speed hasn't increased, apologies for this.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange an engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Hi Mac55

Please can you also confirm possible engineer charges and provide your availability for this visit AM and PM?

Thanks

Debbie

Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie

I have completed the two links and confirm possible charges.

AM preferable (but not on Friday 2nd October). PM possible also.

Hi Mac55

Thanks for confirming your details.

I have arranged the engineer visit for 29/09 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie