would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband dropping out

17 REPLIES 17
derbyboy57
Popular Poster

Hi TalkTalk Community

My fibre broadband keeps dropping out. Typically, about 4 times an hour. Usually for between 30 secs and 3 minutes. Many visits to the Help and Support chat room have not helped. The line has been checked, the equipment has been checked. TalkTalk arranged for a BT Openreach engineer to visit recently, who concluded that everything on my end was fine: no problems with the Master Socket 5C, no problems with the BT feed into TalkTalk, no problems with my ethernet, wired and wireless.  It's just that the internet keeps dropping out, at all times of the day, on all types of equipment - phones, iPads, TVs, on many different apps - Facebook, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, anything. Just the whirr of spinning message that tells you there is no internet, or that the buffer is at 31% etc etc.  He felt that the problem was with the TalkTalk throughput, by which (I asked him to explain) he meant the equipment used by them to transfer the BT broadband supply to my house.

The chat rooms are infuriating. Like Groundhog Day only without the laughs. The same questions, the same checks, the same results of the checks (evrything looks fine), the same failure to produce answers, then the same cut-off - either because of the internet going down or because that is how they respond to questions they don't know the answers to.

Can anyone help? I see that many others have the same problem.

Community Team

Hi derbyboy57 

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Just to confirm, which router are you using? (make and model)

Are any devices connected wired also experiencing this issue?

Thanks

Debbie

derbyboy57
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie

The router is a D-Link DSL-3782.

Devices both wired and wireless experience the internet dropping out.

Community Team

Hi derbyboy57

Thanks for your reply.

I think we should send a HG633 router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

derbyboy57
Popular Poster

Yes please.

Community Team

Hi derbyboy57

The HG633 router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

derbyboy57
Popular Poster

Will do.

Community Team
derbyboy57
Popular Poster

New router has arrived and I'll test it out over a week or so. Not sure of the logic of returning the old router until it's been determined whether that was the issue.

Community Team

Hi derbyboy57

Thanks for keeping us updated.

You can keep hold of the old router whilst you test with the new router if you would prefer to do this.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

derbyboy57
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie

Two issues.

First, feedback. The HUAWEI router is much better than the D-LINK one it replaced. I've tested it for about 3 weeks now.  No drop-outs at all for about ten days, and then averaged only one a day after that. Had 3 drop-outs last Sunday, though, with the fault indicated to be with the DNS Server.  Both the wired and wireless ethernet were not working for 5-10 minutes at a stretch. Is this as good as I should expect the service to be?

Second, compensation. When I first contacted TalkTalk on this issue in September last year, I was told that the fault was to do with engineering work. I was told that  NGE 8-16Port Card Upgrade  was the villian, but I understand out that this work was in fact to increase the number of faster fibre lines in the area, and did not effect existing Faster Fibre customers like myself. Many telephone calls, online chats and an engineer visit followed before your intervention. I have records of all this as I'm sure do TalkTalk on my account. During one such chat on 6 Oct 2019 at 18:51, an except from which is copied below, I was advised to ask TalkTalk for recompense for the poor service once my issue had been resolved. I should now like to have that chat.

Mariano:

Once the issue is fix. Please do contact us back so we can discuss with you the compensation for the number of days that you are not able to use the service properly.

Community Team

Hi derbyboy57,

Thanks for the update. I've re-run the line test which is still clear and I can't see any re-connections on the line. Just to confirm, did any of the lights change on the router when this occurred?

Thanks

derbyboy57
Popular Poster

I didn't think to look. I'll look next time it drops out.

When the BT engineer came, he showed me data that indicated that the broadband feed from BT had had only two interruptions since last September.  When my apps go down, they always indicate a problem with the DNS server. I don't really know what that means, or how it might be fixed.

Community Team

Hi derbyboy57

If the connection does continue to drop then please let us know and we can look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

derbyboy57
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie

Still getting drop-outs, every day. Usually for 1-3 minutes. Over the past week, one 10 minute break. Sometimes when streaming TV, we get a heavily pixelated picture for a few minutes ie you can see something moving, but not what it is. Audio is usually okay.

Ethernet device (Smart TV) linked through TP Link shows "Wired Ethernet connected, no internet. No DNS server". Wireless devices eg phone show "Connected, no internet"

During breaks, the lights on the router are:

Power and Broadband - solid green

Internet, Wireless and Ethernet - flashing green

TV - no light

Hope this helps.

Community Team

Hi derbyboy57,

Thanks for the information. The actual internet connections doesn't appear to be dropping as there are no recorded drops in the last 2 weeks which is as far back as I can see, this is confirmed by your router lights (a DNS error just usually indicates that the connections to the internet has been interrupted and so communication with the DNS server has been lost)

Have you noticed if the apparent disconnections seem to occur when you have more than one device connected to the Internet or when you're doing anything in particular?

Chris

derbyboy57
Popular Poster

Hi Chris

Usually there would be more than one device connected to the wireless, eg computer, phone, ipad, but not - as far as I know - actively doing stuff on the internet. Background activity, I can't vouch for.  For example, in the past 5 mins I tried to Google something on my phone, but it failed with the message "DNS probe failed no internet detected".

Community Team

Thanks for the information. Can you please run a set of pings and a set of trace routes to www.google.co.uk and can you post the results. Can you run the tests on a device connected by Ethernet cable to your router

https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/how-do-i-perform-ping-or-traceroute

Can you also run a couple of speed test on the My Account speed checker on a device connected by Ethernet cable to your router (can you try to make sure that no other devices/applications accessing the internet at the time)

Chris