cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband drops out from time to time - is this information correct?

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

My broadband drops out from time to time.  I've just brought a new modem router and looked at the line stats.

See attached picture, with SNR margin at 6.2, and line attenuation at 34 and 22.7.  The high error packets also concern me, as this was only taken 10 minutes of switching on the modem router (which could be the cause of this).

Capture.JPG

Appreciate your expertise, and if i should ask TT to fix this issue.

Thank you,

Joe

Joe
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Joe,

Please can you update your forum profile to include your telephone number so that we can look into this further. To do this go into "my settings" then "personal information" then add your details.

Please do not post any personal information on the forum.

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hi OCE_Michelle,
I have updated my personal information.
Thank you for looking into this for me.
Joe
Joe
Highlighted

Hi Joe,

Thanks. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and I can see 1 re-connection in the last 3 days. Would you say that the connection has been dropping more often than this?

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hi OCE_Michelle,
Sorry, but I'm not technical so I may have used the wrong term.
The internet drops out randomly, and very often, whether it is on wifi or wired.
I could be loading a web page and it would randomly stop, and I would have to refresh the page several times.
Or I could be streaming a video and it would be okay, and then randomly starts buffering, or I would have to completely refresh the video stream. Happened to me yesterday when using BBC Iplayer.

Yesterday when I googled the line attenuation, I found it was quite high, coupled with the error packets and dropping of the internet, makes me think something is not quite right.

Thank you,
Joe
Joe
Highlighted

Hi Joe,

Ok, are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line? Which router are you currently using? (make and model)

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hi OCE_Michelle,
I rarely use the land line phone, but when I do, it seems to be fine. No noise, no drop outs, and it seems fine.

The router I am using is TP-Link TD-W9980.

Thank you
Joe
Highlighted

Hi Joe

Thanks for your reply.

Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hi OCE_Debbie,
Not sure what you mean by test socket, but yes, it is currently connected to the main phone line with a filter.
Thanks,
Joe
Joe
Highlighted

Hi Joe

This help page provides further information in regards to test socket testing.

Your guide to master sockets

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hi OCE_Debbie,
I will check tonight and post new readings.
Thanks,
Joe
Highlighted

Hi Joe

Thank you, if the connection is still dropping at the test socket and you have tested with a different router then we can raise this over to our Network Team for investigation.

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

I have moved the modem-router to the test socket and the internet is still randomly dropping out.

Capture.JPG

The numbers look very similar and still some error packets.  Is this normal?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe
Highlighted

Hi gijoe948,

Have you noticed if the lights change on your router when the connection drops (or when you experience performance issues)?

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hi OCE_Chris,
I haven't noticed the DSL or internet light drop out on the model-router.
Regarding performance issues, I am definitely noticing that the internet is not stable. Loading web pages can just stop half way or not load at all, and I need to click refresh after about 20 seconds. Video streaming buffers or randomly stops, and again you need to refresh the whole page to get it working again.
This is happening on both wifi and wired, although I do notice it more on wifi.

Is someone able to confirm if the line attenuation is high for fibre, and if error packets is normal?
I'd rather drop a couple of mb/s and have stable internet, rather than chasing super fast and unstable.

Thanks,
Joe
Joe
Highlighted

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the information 

If the error count is high enough to cause performance issues then DLM will automatically move you to a slower profile, this is an automated process which we can't manually override.

When you experience the buffering and slow webpages have you noticed if there's more than one device accessing the Internet at the time?

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hi Chris,
Although I have multiple devices connected to the router, I am the only user.
Unless my phones, tablet, or TV is downloading something like an update (all the time and at the same time), I don't think we can contribute the buffering of the video and web page issue as these devices.

I know there is 1000's of metres of cable from my house to the cabinet, but last night when I moved the router to the test socket, I used a 50cm RJ11 cable instead of the 3m cable I have been always using. From yesterday and this mornings usage, it didn't seem to have any effect.

Thanks,
Joe
Joe
Highlighted

Hi Joe,

If you're experience the issues all the time could you try switching off anything that connects to the internet via the router (except the device that you're checking on) and check to see if this makes any difference 

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hi Chris,
Sounds like grasping at straws here (but I can understand you want to close all possible problems). I'll give it a go at the weekend.
Joe
Joe
Highlighted

Hi Joe,

Thanks for trying this, look forward to hearing how you get on

Chris