would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband noise on line

62 REPLIES 62
manadran
Conversation Starter

Hi,

My broadband speed has gradually dropped from 32Mb/s to 21Mb/s. I have had permanent interleave for approximately 15 months.

I've just found that I have bad intermittent noise on the line. Can this be looked into please. The DLM keeps making reconnection's but everything stays the same.

Thanks.

Broadband Information

DSL synchronization status
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s)
Downstream line rate (kbit/s)
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s)
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s)
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB)
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB)
Upstream interleave depth
Downstream interleave depth
Line standard:
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB)
Downstream line attenuation (dB)
Upstream output power (dBm)
Downstream output power (dBm)
Channel type:
Interleaved
DSL up-time:
3 days 4 hours 18 minutes 11 seconds

Divsec
Community Star

Hi Manadran, your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during the day, you mention noise on the line is this evident on your phone line?

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
Community Team

Hi manadran,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. How intermittent is the noise on the line? Does it appear to be weather related?

Does your master socket have a test socket? Is the noise present with 2 different handsets directly at the test/master socket with all other equipment removed from the line?

Thanks

manadran
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

When testing the crackling over the dial tone might not be there only to come back 30 seconds later it keeps repeating like this. I don't think this is weather related because I've lost a third of my download speed and have very high interleaving which I've had for a very long time. The land line phones are not normally connected, and I did so just for testing. It is plugged into the test socket when I tested.

Thanks.

Community Team

Did you plug the phone into the test socket with no Filter, was the crackle still present?  

Community Team

Hi manadran,

Just to confirm, is the noise/crackle still present at the moment?

Thanks

manadran
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

I've just tried it and there is cracking over the dial tone, and also when you press a number to take the dial tone off there is still crackling. But when I tried it on the quiet line test it was quiet.

Thanks.

manadran
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

I've cleaned up the connections in the test socket and now the noise seems to have gone. I'll wait to see if the DLM improves things.

everybody's help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Community Team

Thanks for the update , let us know in a few days.

manadran
Conversation Starter

Hi,

The line is still quiet and it has been 4 days. The DLM has not made any connection changes in that time.

Broadband Information
System up time 4 days 1 hour 36 minutes 41 seconds
DSL synchronization status Up
Connection status Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 4742
Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 22399
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s) 4743
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s) 41688
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB) 6
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB) 7.6
Upstream interleave depth 60
Downstream interleave depth 2723
Line standard VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB)1.9
Downstream line attenuation (dB)19.2
Upstream output power (dBm)0.8
Downstream output power (dBm)13.3
Channel type Interleaved
DSL up-time 4 days 1 hour 36 minutes 11 seconds

Everything is just the same as before. Low speed and awful interleaving.

Community Team

Hi manadran,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've re-checked the connection stats and the sync speed has increased in the last 24hrs. Have you noticed any improvement in speed since your last post?

Thanks

manadran
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

Since my last post the DLM made a reconnection, dropping my noise safety coefficient to 6 and lifting my sync speed. The download speed has went up 0.5Mb and the interleaving is just the same. Really no improvement at all.

Thanks.

Community Team

Hi manadran,

Ok thanks for checking. I've re-checked again and the sync speed has increased since my last post so it looks like DLM is still optimising the connection and speed at the moment.

Thanks

manadran
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

The download speed has improved to 26Mb/s and the some of the interleaving has gone. I'd really like the interleaving to go completely and get the download speed back up to 32Mb/s.

Thanks.

Community Team

Hi manadran,

Just to confirm, has the connection been unstable over the last 48hrs as I can see re-connections on the line? Is the line still clear of any noise? Is the router still connected to the test socket?

Thanks

manadran
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

The connection has been stable over the last 48 hours. As far as I can tell the DLM has made two re-connections the last being 2 days ago. The line is still clear of noise. I'm not plugged into the test socket, but I am plugged into the master socket. The downstream noise safety coefficient is 5.6dB at present and will drop lower overnight, and what with the interleaving I don't think the DLM will give me any more. I just think I have a rubbish line.

Community Team

Hi manadran

Would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket so we can see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Debbie

manadran
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

The router is now plugged into the test socket. I left switched off for 1 hour before re-starting the router. The interleaving has dropped ever so slightly, but my downstream line rate has also dropped slightly. Actual download speed is now 27Mb/s. Upload speed is 4.3Mb/s

Thanks.

Community Team

Hi manadran,

Thanks for letting us know. It can take between 24-48hrs for DLM to start making changes to the sync speed if the connection remains stable. Could you bump your thread tomorrow and we can re-check the connection stats again to see if there is any improvement.

Thanks

manadran
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

The DLM has made a re-connection and dropped my interleaving to 1074, but has also dropped my download speed to 25.5Mb/s.

Thanks.