Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband noise on line

manadran
Conversation Starter

Hi Karl,

The Engineer failed to turn up on Friday and I wasn't contacted.

I rang up on Saturday and have arranged an Enginner for this morning, Monday 10th.

Community Team

Hi

Really dissapointed to hear the engineer did not show.  

Let me know this afternoon if the engineer arrives so I can check up on this for you.

Thanks

Karl. 

manadran
Conversation Starter

Hi Karl,

The engineer has been and I've been informed (I'm at work) that the download speed is back up to 36Mb/s.

So hopefully all is good again.

Thanks.

Community Team

Hi

just checked for you and the router is in sync at 37.9mb, so all looks good.

Regards,

Karl. 

manadran
Conversation Starter

Hi,

I'm having the same problem as before. That is the every time the DLM kicks in it raises the s/n ratio and drops the sync speed.
Engineers have been out twice and got the speed back up to 36Mb. The last engineer left his mobile number and said to give him ring if it happened again.
I rang him and he checked the data for the last couple of weeks since he was here. He informed me that Talk Talk have capped my line at 25Mb. I was surprised on hearing this.
He said if I can arrange to get him out again he may be able to do a proper fix by getting extra help and thoroughly checking out the D-side of the line and if necessary changing the pair. A different engineer would just do a reset which would not get to the cause of problem.

Like I said, I was surprised on hearing Talk Talk had capped my line without notifying me. I can see how they would think this was a poor workaround for a bad line, but I'd rather have it fixed properly.

Thanks

ferguson
Community Star

@manadran  I hope you don't mind, but I have merged this with your recent topic for the sake of continuity. I have also flagged it up for the support team again.

Community Team

Hi manadran,

DLM changed your profile in the early hours of this morning - sync speed is now 33.1Mbps. I'm not sure what the engineer means when he says that we've capped the line, the line is managed by BT Openreach's line management system (DLM), this makes any changes to your profile, that's why the 25Mbps cap is removed when the engineer resets DLM

Chris

manadran
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris,

I saw the change, but I don't beleieve it will stay there. I think it will just keep recurring as it has been.

Before the sync change it was 24.9Mb and the s/n ratio was 11 with high interleaving. The engineer said yesterday that there had been few errors for the last two days.

I'd still like to take up the engineers offer to cure the problem.

Thanks.

Community Team

I'm sorry but we would really need the speed to drop again before logging over to our network team. If you let us know if the speed drops again we can log it over for investigation and potential engineer visit

Chris

manadran
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris,

First the good news. Last night the sync went up to 36Mb.

Now the bad news. Download speed is 25Mb, I would have expected more like 34Mb.

The engineer did tell me "your internet provider has capped you at 25Mb".

Thanks

Community Team

Hi manadran,

Thanks for the update. If the sync speed improves, however there is no increase in throughput speed then we usually advise switching the router off for a full 30 minutes as this will reset the current session. If their is no improvement following this then we can look into this further for you.

Thanks

manadran
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

I switched off the router on Friday, but it didn't make any difference, download speed was still 25Mb. Sync was 36Mb.

Did the same on Sunday and it worked. Sync is 32Mb and download speed is 30Mb.

So that appears to be okay at the moment. I will continue to monitor.

Thanks.

Community Team

OK, thanks for trying that, glad to hear there's been some improvement

Chris

manadran
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris,

For the last 3 weeks the speed has been steadily dropping and sync is now 20Mb with s/n ratio of 14.6

I've switched off the router several times, sometimes leaving overnight but it has made no difference.

Community Team

Hi manadran,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential fault towards the property and the connection also looks unstable.

Are you experiencing any issues with the voice service at the moment? Is the router still connected to the test socket? As soon as we've confirmed this then we can pass this straight over to our Network Team.

Thanks

manadran
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

It is connected to the test socket. I'm not aware of any noise on the line, but I'm at work at present. I'll check when I get home.

Community Team

Hi

If you can verify as soon as you can, that would be great.  We can then log the fault correctly.

Either way, it will require an engineer, so as soon as you have tested, also reply to the PM I'm going to send you so we can get the usual engineer booking red tape out of the way.

Thanks

Karl. 

Community Team

Hi manadran,

Thanks for the PM, I've passed this over to our network team, I'll let you know when I receive an update

Thanks

Chris

Community Team

Hi manadran,

Our network team have booked the engineer for 26/07 PM as requested, please let us know know how you get on

Chris

manadran
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris,

I've received a text from +447378 905544 saying the engineers visit is confirmed for 25/07 am.

Which is obviously wrong. Can you check this please.

Thanks