cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Broadband not working for over 1 month! Useless customer service.

17 REPLIES
Highlighted
tulipe0116
Popular Poster

My broadband has not been working since 28th October. The connection is slow, Wifi drops out and intermittent. I have contacted Talktalk to advise them of the problem. They are aware that there is a fault and that I have made a complaint but since then nobody is contacting me to try to resolve this. I have decided to have Fibre broadband to hopefully obtain better results with the speed and the buffering when watching TV. I have now Fibre since 17th November. Unfortunately, the problem persists. I have arranged for an Open Reach Engineer to come on 22nd Nov and due to workload, I was not able to take time off work. I have cancelled the visit on 19th Nov.  … but on 22nd November, the engineer still came, luckily at 8 h am when I was still at home!! He advised that all was fine, but it is not working. I still can’t watch the Iplayer due to buffering issues, constant disconnection, WIFI dropping, slow speed, intermittent connection. My son can’t use his game console… I am calling Talktalk almost every night and spend about 1 hour on the phone. I was promised a minimum speed of 39 Mb/s with Fibre broadband but I am getting around 6 Mb/s for download! They do testing, but nothing happens… it is so frustrating! I feel that they are not bothered with my problem, the situation has become unacceptable. It has been over 1 month and the situation is persisting. Each time I call, I talked to someone different; they have lost my notes and details… I have to start explaining the problem since the beginning, provide my credentials, etc. the test shows that there is a fault!! It is very disappointing!

KeithFrench
Community Star

How do you connect wireless, wired, or a mixture? If a mixture is a wired connection better than wireless?

It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is.

Please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http://192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password: admin        (unless you have set your own password).

If you use the HG633 & DSL-3782, they have their own unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.

Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.

On the HG633 this is at:-

Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information

On the DSL-3782 go to the home page & copy the stats from the DSL & IPv4 pages.

Next can you also go to this speed checker:-

http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

Alternatively use:-

https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

Do this on both wireless & wired (if you have wired), but with never more than one device connected at a time.

Please can you paste the results here?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

tulipe0116
Popular Poster

Hi Keith

Thank you for your reply.

I have a wireless connection.

Here are the stats.

System Information
View detailed information about your TalkTalk Router.

System Information

Product type :
HG633
Device ID :
00E0FC-C4R8W16909004400
Hardware version :
H.1.01
Software version :
v1.22.1t
System up time :
2 days 21 hours 4 minutes 8 seconds

Wireless Information

Broadband Information
DSL synchronization status :
Up
Connection status :
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s) :
Downstream line rate (kbit/s) :
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s) :
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s) :
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB) :
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB) :
Upstream interleave depth :
Downstream interleave depth :
Line standard :
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB) :
Downstream line attenuation (dB) :
Upstream output power (dBm) :
Downstream output power (dBm) :
Channel type :
Interleaved
DSL up-time :
2 days 21 hours 3 minutes 15 seconds
KeithFrench
Community Star

Can you get me the speed test result as per my last post as well? Thanks.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

tulipe0116
Popular Poster

Hi Keith

It seems to be running better in term of speed. Here are the speed test results:

Wireless - 18.3 mbps

Wired - 32 mbps

i am on Fibre broadband (min speed advertised at 39 mbps)

Thanks for your reply.

Helene

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi Helene,

We should be able to do something to bring the wireless speed closer to that of the wired, but there is some config I would recommend on the router first.

Intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

The HG633 is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

Then go to:-
"Customise my wireless network"

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "Wireless 5 GHz SSID" field. Then click "Save".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

tulipe0116
Popular Poster

Hi Keith

Thank you for your suggestion. I really appreciate your help.

Someone has also suggesting using a power line adapter.

Would you advise trying this first as a way to avoid the intermittent Wifi issues altogther rather than exploring moving Wifi between 2.4 / 5 Ghz?

Or should I try your suggestion first?

Thanks,

Helene

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi Helene,

Whilst powerline adapters may be a solution, so might moving from 2.4G to 5G, this is all money or hassle at best. I always think it is worth checking how good or bad things are & working from there, at least this is free!!

Please see my attached guide on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone & Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide, from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Photos" button on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

tulipe0116
Popular Poster

Hi Keith

I have renamed the network name adding a 5G under the 5 GHz SSID field.

Thank you for the guide, i am reading it now.

Helene

tulipe0116
Popular Poster

Hi Keith

Here are the screenshots you have requested.

i am using an old laptop with Internet Explorer 11.

I couldn't see the 5GHz Wifi bands.

Many thanks for your help and i am looking forward to your analyis of the results.

Happy to do more tests if required.

Best regards,

HeleneCapture 1 24GHz.PNGCapture 2 network quality 24GHz.PNGCapture 3 24GHz APs Channels.PNGCapture 4 5GHz APs Channels.PNG

tulipe0116
Popular Poster

Capture 1b signal strength.PNGCapture 2b Network quality.PNGCapture 3b 24 GHz APs Channels.PNGspeed checker.PNGCapture 4b 5GHz APs Channels.PNGHi Keith

I have taken more screenshots attached.

My son can't use his game console so the speed is not good or are these the interferences?

I have also run a speed test and i attach a screen shot of the result, it is 2.5 Mbps which is terrible considering that i am supposed to have Fibre broadband.

tulipe0116
Popular Poster

I used a wireless connection for the speed test.

Thanks

Helene

KeithFrench
Community Star

I have to say it is not that bad really, you could move to channel 6 though. You say you are using an old laptop, that would explain why you can't see the 5GHz band, an old network adapter won't support it.

This makes me wonder about the specifications of the network adapter in the old laptop, what is the highest WiFi mode it supports - 802.11b, 802.11g or 802.11n?

Keith

tulipe0116
Popular Poster

HI Keith

i was using a old laptop for the purpose of running the tests. i could not install software on my work laptop. i don't usually use the old Dell that i was using last night.

i am concerned that my son found the speed extremely slow when playing games on his Xbox.

Thank you for your help.

Helene

KeithFrench
Community Star

Which band is the XBox connecting to, if possible try the 5GHz band.

Keith

tulipe0116
Popular Poster

Keith

I will need to install and run the software on my son's computer. I will then send you the new results, hopefully it should pick up the 5 GHz frequency.

I am hoping to do it tonight (if possible) to check the band for the Xbox.

Thanks,

Helene

tulipe0116
Popular Poster

HI Keith

I am not able to do the testing until Sunday.

Will get in touch with the results when i have them.

Many thanks,

Helene

tulipe0116 wrote:

Keith

I will need to install and run the software on my son's computer. I will then send you the new results, hopefully it should pick up the 5 GHz frequency.

I am hoping to do it tonight (if possible) to check the band for the Xbox.

Thanks,

Helene

KeithFrench
Community Star

No problem, whenever suits you.

Keith