Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband speed dropped since Christmas

9 REPLIES 9
markhewitt1978
Popular Poster

I normally get around 39mbit connection speed (as reported by the router itself). There have been several outages on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Since then the speed has dropped to 9.4mbit down. 

I’ve done the usual of restarting the router. As well as turning it off entirely for 30mins. But the speed remains slow. 

The router is plugged directly into the master socket and there have been no changes since it was installed in September. 

Community Team

Hi markhewitt1978

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Has the connection dropped again since Boxing Day? If the connection has dropped a lot then DLM will change the profile to help stabilise the connection, this will reduce the speed.

I've completed a line test which has detected a possible fault. Is your landline service working ok when making calls?

Thanks

Debbie

markhewitt1978
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie

The connection hasn’t dropped since Boxing Day. 

I don’t know if the landline is working. As we don’t have a landline phone. We only use mobile. 

Community Team

Hi markhewitt1978

Thanks for your reply.

A fault with the landline service can affect the broadband connection so we have to investigate this first.

Would it be possible to borrow a phone just for testing purposes?

Thanks

Debbie

markhewitt1978
Popular Poster

Hello again 

I bought a phone and plugged in to test and there appears to be no issue with the line. I can’t hear any noise and incoming and outgoing calls work normally. 

I’ve tried rebooting the router again and it’s gone back up to 32mbit which is better than the 9mbit however it’s short of the 40mbit the router was syncing at when I first go it installed. Which itself is only half the 80mbit maximum I’m supposed to get with fibre speed boost. I know maximum rate is dependent on location and other factors, but I’m currently getting less than half?

Thanks again for your help

Community Team

Hi markhewitt1978

Apologies for the delay.

How have you found the connection since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

markhewitt1978
Popular Poster

Hello again 

It is 32mbit and stable. However like I said above this is short of the 40-41mbit it was syncing at originally and only half of what I’m paying for. 

Community Team

Hi markhewitt1978

I've raised this over to our Network Team for investigation and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

markhewitt1978
Popular Poster

Debbie,

Thanks for your help. OpenReach rather unexpected turned up yesterday to test the line. He said our equipment is fine and he went away to do some testing in the cabinet. As a result the sync speed has gone up from 32mbit to 42mbit - which is where it was a few months ago.

Although it's still only roughly half the 80mbit I'm paying for...

Community Team

Hi markhewitt1978,

Thanks for the update, glad to hear your speed has improved. The speed boost just removes the 40Mbps speed cap, the speed you actually receive depends to a large extent on the length a quality of the cable from your home to the cabinet. If you want to remove the faster fibre boost please contact our Loyalty Team, they'll be able to do this for you.

Chris