cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband speed regression – Faster Fibre plus speed boost package.

Community Team

Hi Brian-BH13,

Thanks for trying that, glad to see that there's been a bit of speed increase, albeit and small one. How is your telephone service, can you hear any noise on the line?

Chris

Brian-BH13
Conversation Starter

Landline crackle free Chris – no obvious interference.    Hopefully speed will rebuild to previous (early last week and previous weeks) 61-62Mbps?   Speed test readings today, 4 January 2019:

• 8:15 – 55.8Mbps
  • 12:15 – 56.9Mbps
  • 13:25 – 57.9Mbps (following router shut down and reboot)
  • 14:40 – 56.8Mbps

Will keep monitoring and recording on here until speed back into the 60’sMbps.   

Problem seems to coincide with TalkTalk maintenance over the Christmas period which impacted on email client - continuous requests for password resetting > https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email-Webmail/Unable-to-use-Tiscali-email/m-p/2291968#M106365

Thanks again.

Brian-BH13
Brian-BH13
Conversation Starter

Still no real improvement:

• Speed test Saturday 5 January 2019 8:15am – 56.7Mbps
  • 15:30 – 56.2Mbps
Brian-BH13
ferguson
Community Star

I have to say those results are very consistent and in line with your sync speed. Are there any problems you are actually experiencing in your day-to-day usage of your broadband service? If not, why not just get on and enjoy it instead of being fixated on your speedtest results, I imagine most customers (myself included) would be delighted to get numbers like that.

Brian-BH13
Conversation Starter

Missing the point here Ferguson.  

• Below pre-contract TalkTalk chat session – assured estimated download speed range “between 65.2 and 80.0 Mbps”. On this strict understanding I signed up to Fibre.
  • Openreach engineer who attended fibre conversion said to expect around 61-62Mbps and suggested I had been given on over optimistic performance level? Current speed still below 60-61Mbps previous week.
  • Clearly the speed of 60-61Mbps is achievable – so why should I now accept lower level after only a few months into the contract?
  • What guarantees do I have that the speed will not drop further in the future?
  • Michelle organised resetting of DLM which helped in previously – see thread.
Brian-BH13
ferguson
Community Star

Estimates are just that, you should also have received a guaranteed minimum sync speed which gives you the assurance you want. Your sync speed is currently bang on the range the Openreach engineer mentioned. And the OCE cannot reset DLM, that can only be done by Openreach in a fault situation.

So I think you may be missing the point, what is your pleasure? Endless anxiety about speedtest results? Or a fast broadband service which delivers what you want? You didn't answer that.

Brian-BH13
Conversation Starter

Looking at Downdetector is seem service was throttled during TalkTalk maintenance over the Christmas period and can possibly account for the problem.

This also impacted on emails for which there has been no apology and is ongoing.    I am still getting stupid pop-ups asking me to reset my passwords.

Paying a lot of money but not receiving full monty.

Brian-BH13
Community Team

Hi Brian-BH13,

I'm sorry for the delay. The line test is clear and the connection looks stable. Are you still experiencing any noise from the router?

In regards to the email issue, if you could create a new thread in the Email Section then OCE_Ady will be able to take a look at this for you.

Thanks

Brian-BH13
Conversation Starter

Thanks for getting back Michelle.

• No further noises from the router thank goodness.

• My concern is that I am not getting the speed I contracted for.

• Promised averaging within given range:  expecting sometimes to get 80Mbps, sometimes 65.2Mbps, but more often than not mid-way – 72Mbps.

• No one warned during the various pre-contract phone and chat sessions that this average range could not be realistically achieved for my area. This should have been made clear from onset and a more accurate assessment provided.

• The Openreach engineer implied that I was mis-sold as none of these speeds achievable with current configuration. He left me with what he said was the maximum possible, 61Mpbs.    I am not even getting this now.

• Speed test 7 January 2019 9:25 – 56.3Mbps. Just below the guaranteed speed of 56.8Mbps.

Grateful for your continued help Michelle.

Brian-BH13
Community Team

Hi Brian

Thanks for your reply.

Your line is in sync at 60.9mb. The minimum guaranteed speed is based upon sync speed not throughput speed (speed tests)

Are you running speed tests when connected wired or wireless?

Thanks

Debbie

Brian-BH13
Conversation Starter

Thank you Debbie:

• That’s interesting about using sink speed measure as opposed to speed test when comparing with minimum guaranteed speed. Again, this is something not fully explained pre-contract phone and chat sessions?   Should it have been as could be misleading?

• Is there a quick way of obtaining sink speed? The only way I’m aware is to access and go through the router - logging in, etc.

• The Openreach engineer advised not using wi-fi for better performance and so linked up using Ethernet cable. I have not touched this wired connection since his visit.

• Something puzzling. If you look at the very first post on this thread, after the Openreach engineer left, the downstream rate is recorded as 70943.   But the sink speed last week (page 2 of thread) supplied to Chris shows 61248.   Is there a reason for this please?    Would have thought readings would be comparable?

• I understand from reading other threads, and looking at Downdetector, there have been impacts following TalkTalk maintenance over the Christmas period. It looks like I may have been victim, since performance was definitely better on the weeks and days before Christmas.   And no email (password resetting) problems.   Is the maintenance issue a factor in all this?

Hope this helps Debbie.

Brian-BH13
Community Team

Hi Brian

Thanks for your reply.

Is your router currently connected at the test socket? Do you leave the router switched on all the time or do you switch it off or reboot it?

You can check sync speed in the router settings.

BT's DLM monitors the connection and adjusts the profile/speed to get the best balance between speed and stability.

Thanks

Debbie

Ashmunash
First Timer

Hi I’ve had fibre broadband upgrade 9 months with promise speed of 35 mbps but the speed keeps dropping to about 10 or 11 mbps. Not good enough 

Community Team

Hi Ashmunash,

Welcome to the Community

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your service. If you'd like us to look into this can you please start your own thread and can you update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Chris